5 replies to this topic

#1 hobbitqueen18

hobbitqueen18

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:14 AM

I have recently found myself to be gluten intolerant and have since had to go gluten free. Lately I have just been feeling very scared about stepping out of my comfort zone and trying things that I have not had before. Like chicken I have no problem with but I am still very hesitant to have red meat or dairy and I am getting very frustrated because I feel like I am punishing myself and I really shouldn't be. I am so afraid to try something that half the time I won't eat it because I am so afraid of getting sick. I have found a lot of gluten free products that I like but at the same time I feel like I am just eating the same thing over and over again and I am getting frustrated because I want to branch out but at the same time I do not want to because I am afraid of getting sick. Any advice?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Razzle Dazzle Brazell

Razzle Dazzle Brazell

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:48 PM

I have recently found myself to be gluten intolerant and have since had to go gluten free. Lately I have just been feeling very scared about stepping out of my comfort zone and trying things that I have not had before. Like chicken I have no problem with but I am still very hesitant to have red meat or dairy and I am getting very frustrated because I feel like I am punishing myself and I really shouldn't be. I am so afraid to try something that half the time I won't eat it because I am so afraid of getting sick. I have found a lot of gluten free products that I like but at the same time I feel like I am just eating the same thing over and over again and I am getting frustrated because I want to branch out but at the same time I do not want to because I am afraid of getting sick. Any advice?

Why does red meat scare you? Is it because it is harder to digest? Why exactly are you afraid of dairy too? It will be easier for us to direct you if we know exactly what it is about those things that has worried you.

By fresh vegetables,meat and fruit, they are all naturally gluten free.
Gluten and Oat Free 6/'12
Dairy, Corn and Yeast free 7/'12
Nightshade Free, Candida diet & low salicylates 8/'12
Nightshades and carbs and sugars limitedly reintroduced, most salicylates now tolerated 9/'12
No longer Reacting to yeasty breads 10/'12
Test confirmed yeast overgrowth, back on Candida diet 11/'12

You only get one life so make it count.

#3 hobbitqueen18

hobbitqueen18

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:24 PM

Why does red meat scare you? Is it because it is harder to digest? Why exactly are you afraid of dairy too? It will be easier for us to direct you if we know exactly what it is about those things that has worried you.

By fresh vegetables,meat and fruit, they are all naturally gluten free.

I guess a lot of it is that because when I got really sick those were the things I was eating and back then nothing would stay down. Also my doctor keeps suggesting that red meat may not be the best thing. With dairy I almost always seem to get diarrhea or a stomach ache after eating it. Especially ice cream, although it doesn't usually happen for several hours after I have eaten it so I am not sure if there's something else that's going on. Over all I guess I am just afraid to step out of my comfort zone for no other reason than that I am afraid.

#4 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:21 PM

Have you been tested for celiac? It's sounding more like you're celiac. And you could be gluten intolerant with the added bonus of lactose intolerant. So don't eat dairy. You can always try it again in 3 or 4 months.
And maybe you shouldn't eat those processed foods even though they are gluten free. They are still processed foods & the gluten-free snacks are still junk food --- just b/c they are gluten-free doesn't make them not junk.
Why don't you just go to a whole foods diet for about 3 months? Meats, fresh or frozen fruits & veggies, nuts. This way of eating would be the kindest to your system. How about pork? Have you been eating that? Why not try one new food per week? Pick one thing & try it, then add another next week, then another & so on. Baby steps.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

Sept. 2013 adding back dairy in small quantities & thus trialing iodine

#5 LauraB0927

LauraB0927

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:53 PM

If red meat is too difficult for you to digest, try eating grass-fed red meats/steaks. Since they are not pumped full of antibiotics, steroids, and all that other crap, its much easier on the stomach. This was a recommendation from my nutritionist which I have been following and it's been working so far! Yes, they are a bit more expensive, but if it can expand your diet, it may be worth a shot...good luck!

"Dark and difficult times lie ahead ahead - soon we must all face the choice, to do what is right, or what is easy..." - Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter)

Diagnosed Celiac in May 2012 by TTG level and endoscopy
Acid reflux/GERD (stopped since eating gluten-free)
Syncope
Raynaud's Syndrome
Iron Deficient

#6 bennl1

bennl1

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:14 PM

I guess a lot of it is that because when I got really sick those were the things I was eating and back then nothing would stay down. Also my doctor keeps suggesting that red meat may not be the best thing. With dairy I almost always seem to get diarrhea or a stomach ache after eating it. Especially ice cream, although it doesn't usually happen for several hours after I have eaten it so I am not sure if there's something else that's going on. Over all I guess I am just afraid to step out of my comfort zone for no other reason than that I am afraid.

If you are really dairy intolerant (milk proteins), it is not that strange to have problems with beef-proteins as well. I have that too and so have many others.
Just google "meat and dairy intolerance" and you'll see you are not alone in this.
Ben (58)

Diagnosed Celiac 12-Apr-2012
Dairy intolerant, B12 malabsorption, Bile acid malabsorption.
Osteopania
Lifetime of misdiagnoses.

2008-2011 Lived in Thailand, almost symptom free.
Now only eat Thai food.
Easy to cook - gluten/dairy free - delicious

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: