24 replies to this topic

#16 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:22 PM

The vitamins I am taking are (cough cough) Dr. Mercola Multivitamin Plus.

I want to be sure I have the right one.
Is it THIS one? with WHOLE FOODS in it?

http://www.swansonvi...C002/ItemDetail

I read the label ingredients and it includes sprouted barley grass and wheat grass.

The label says it is "soy, dairy and corn free"-- but not gluten free.

Please tell me you are taking some other Dr. Mercola Multivitamin?.

He must have another multi formula?

Let me know which one it is. Thanks!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 bartfull

bartfull

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:05 AM

Um, you know, another celiac friend got these for me and assured me she takes them all the time. She has been SO helpful with my diet, I automatically trusted what she said. I never even NOTICED those things you pointed out! Now not only am I embarrassed, but I'm confused. I have been taking these with no problem whatsoever.

Now that raises a question I have had for a year now: AM I celiac? Having never been tested, I just assumed I was when going gluten-free cleared up my symptoms. But as I have said, a few weeks after dropping gluten and corn, I ate gluten-free cornbread and had a BIG reaction. I am SO sensitive to corn.

Does this mean that corn is my problem and not gluten? :blink:

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#18 Fairy Dancer

Fairy Dancer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:28 AM

I have a head full of hair but what I am wondering is there anything to stop grey hair?

I am losing my colour :(

It did start falling out at one point but because I started out with an awful lot of it, it just looked a little bit thinner is all and lately I have new regrowth anyway, especially since I started using the 'no-pooing' technique on it (no use of chemical shampoos). I call it my paleo hair as I am on the paleo diet as well lol.

I also avoid using styling products etc. I am trying to encourage its natural curl to come back as it used to be nothing more than a giant ball of frizz with chemical products on it...even with the best on the market. Its a little bit better now but it's still early days and a bit of stubborn frizz remains from where it was chemically treated with colourants (as close to my own hair colour as I could get).

I want to avoid having to use colourants in the future though..

Silly grey hairs coming through lol

#19 Fairy Dancer

Fairy Dancer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:30 AM

Opps double post, sorry.

#20 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:45 AM

Um, you know, another celiac friend got these for me and assured me she takes them all the time. She has been SO helpful with my diet, I automatically trusted what she said. I never even NOTICED those things you pointed out! Now not only am I embarrassed, but I'm confused. I have been taking these with no problem whatsoever.

Now that raises a question I have had for a year now: AM I celiac? Having never been tested, I just assumed I was when going gluten-free cleared up my symptoms. But as I have said, a few weeks after dropping gluten and corn, I ate gluten-free cornbread and had a BIG reaction. I am SO sensitive to corn.

Does this mean that corn is my problem and not gluten? :blink:

Don't be embarrassed! It's okay.

It just means I will not be trying these vitamins. :lol:

I am stumped as to why you are not having symptoms and I do not know what this means for you, Bart.

It is perplexing that the gluten is not bothering you. :blink:

Tell your celiac friend, however, that they are NOT gluten free!
Even if you guys are not noticing symptoms, we all know it does not mean damage is not being done.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#21 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:56 AM

IH, Skylark, Mushroom, do you think I should do a gluten challenge? I'm shocked! I've been eating these vitamins for months now and all they have done is make me feel better. I've been eating 50 milligrams of gluten every day! I know that corn gives me psoriasis. Nightshades do too, as well as asperin. It would be strange if all of my intolerances gave me psoriasis EXCEPT gluten.

See? THIS is why I wish I had a real diagnosis. I don't know if I have celiac or not. I don't know if any of the other intolerances have done damage. Even if I go to the store for a bag of wheat flour and make biscuits to eat every day, I won't know for sure if wheat is a problem for me unless I DO get a psoriasis flare.

I suppose it won't make much difference in the long run. Almost every gluten food also has corn in it. (Except for the biscuits or home made pie crust.) And I don't want to go back to eating all of that garbage processed food now anyway.

I just wish I KNEW.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#22 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:01 PM

IMHO, if you would feel better knowing, then try a gluten challenge.

If you feel worse, then you can stop it.

Right now, though, you say you feel GREAT!

Why mess with it? :)

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#23 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:39 AM

There is a ;) POSSIBLE ;) link between B12 defiency and premature greying. (also a possible link for geographic tongue)

I really suggest the Biotin. Biotin would naturally be found from eating animal liver. I seriously doubt many of us are eating enough Biotin in our diets. (that and there has been warnings for years about too much contamination in animal liver) There is no known adverse affect from "high" doses of Biotin. Not only will your hair grow but fingernails too. :)
Michigan

#24 saintmaybe

saintmaybe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:40 AM

There is a ;) POSSIBLE ;) link between B12 defiency and premature greying. (also a possible link for geographic tongue)

I really suggest the Biotin. Biotin would naturally be found from eating animal liver. I seriously doubt many of us are eating enough Biotin in our diets. (that and there has been warnings for years about too much contamination in animal liver) There is no known adverse affect from "high" doses of Biotin. Not only will your hair grow but fingernails too. :)

Sorry to hijack the thread, but what on earth is geographic tongue? I have visions of a tongue with a little suitcase and passport. :-D

#25 saintmaybe

saintmaybe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:45 AM

Wow, that has a name?! I just looked up pics, and I've had that my whole life and no one has ever said anything to me about it. Thats good to know though, about the b12, both for the tongue and the hair. I am vain, and freak out about every new gray.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: