19 replies to this topic

#16 Rodmanj

Rodmanj

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:26 AM

You are definitely not alone in this. I don't have type 1 diabetes, but I am pre type 2 diabetic (thanks to a hormonal condition I have) along with being gluten intolerant and I know how tough it is to not only have to be concerned about keeping your blood sugar stable, but also having to stay away from anything with gluten in it. Also, as someone who just graduated from college, I know how frustrating it is to be a young adult with these conditions, especially when it comes to going out with friends and them not understanding what it's like. As far as motivation goes, try to focus less on what you CAN'T eat and more on what you CAN eat. Even though you didn't have any symptoms before you stopped eating gluten, also remember that if you truly have Celiac, you can get really sick if you go back to eating gluten. Like I said at the beginning, you're not alone in this and I really do hope that things start to look up for you =]

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Girlygoodness

Girlygoodness

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:22 PM

I am hypoglycemic and I have celiac disease. No one ever asks me where I can eat when we're out. Because of my hypoglycemia I have to have a balanced meal so I generally end up having to eat wheat and I get sick. I have a horrible migraine because I had to eat wheat yesterday. You are very lucky your friends care.

#18 GlutenFreeAustinite

GlutenFreeAustinite

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:42 PM

I'm 18 and Non-Celiac Gluten Intolerant, and I'm in the process of trying to work with my college about mandatory meal plans for freshmen. They can't properly accommodate so it's looking like I will most likely have an exemption, which is what I wanted, but it's a bit depressing too as it means I can't really eat with my friends in the dining hall. It sucks, but I'll do whatever it takes to stay healthy. Hang in there...the diabetic restrictions must add to the intensity.

#19 glassroseheart

glassroseheart

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:25 PM

If you can't find a support group on campus - start one ..

Put a sign up at Student Health, the Pastoral office of any campus ministers, the Notice Board near the Food Hall, the College pharmacy/drugstore .. Pro-active! ... You have done very well, at a young age - keep it up!

College life can be a pain in the butt sometimes, so swing it around to your advantage - take charge ... I think that it would be unlikely that you are the only student in this predicament.

If your school has a website with a forum or even a classified section, post to ask if anyone would be interested in a support group. You could also use Facebook and publish your post to the whole school.

I've had food allergies my whole life and recently gave up the gluten that seems to be causing my fibromyalgia symptoms (they're slowly going away since I gave it up). I have found that the people who are worth your time, male or female, will not judge you for refusing certain types of food. I have never been turned down for a date or dumped because of it either. People may think it's weird if you don't explain why you don't eat certain things, but if you're willing to explain, those who are worth it won't judge you for avoiding gluten.

#20 glassroseheart

glassroseheart

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:04 PM

I am hypoglycemic and I have celiac disease. No one ever asks me where I can eat when we're out. Because of my hypoglycemia I have to have a balanced meal so I generally end up having to eat wheat and I get sick. I have a horrible migraine because I had to eat wheat yesterday. You are very lucky your friends care.

Sheesh. Those don't sound like very good friends. True friends would not want to make you sick. If you've explained your condition and vocalized your problems with their restaurant choices, they should try to accommodate your food needs. Sometimes they will fail or will want to try a place where you cannot eat, but many restaurants will understand if you bring your own bread or will try to accommodate you. It's always good to keep a snack on hand in case there's an unplanned meal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: