2 replies to this topic

#1 abby82

abby82

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 09:16 PM

Hello, Im new here. Ive actually been told I had IBS since I was about 16 and have been following the diet for it and even taking the medications for it. I recently had a blood test and my results came back with an extremely high gliadin AB IGG number. My IGA was only 2 above the positive number so it was a weak positive and my tissure tranglutaminase IG came back negative. I cant go to the doctor until next week to discuss it and its driving me crazy! Does anyone know what this means or what it could mean. Ive tried to read up on it and figure it out myself and what Im guessing is that my IGG number is so high because my diet has a LOT of breads in it. (Bread is what your basically supposed to base your diet on with IBS) If anyone has any answers please help me out! I would REALLY appreciate it!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lauradawn

lauradawn

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 01:34 PM

Well, Im not an expert at this, but this is what I understand those numbers to mean:

The IGA and IGG go hand in hand in determining if there is a possibilty for gluten intolerance. THe IGG can be elevated for a number of reasons, therefore is not specific enough to make a determination alone. In some Celiacs there is an IGA deficiancy and so if it shows up negative, your Dr may choose to do a total IGA work up, which may have already been done. That # if normal would indicate that you are not celiac.

The TTG is extremely specific for Clieac. If you are positive than there is a good chance you have a gluten sensivity.

The combination of these 4 tests allow for a fairly reasonable idea of celiac or not.
Since your TTG is negative, and your IGA is not significantly high, My guess is your Dr will probably say you are not celiac. But again!!!! I am not an expert. Im just going by what my Dr's have explained to me.

Hope this helps.

#3 lauradawn

lauradawn

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 01:36 PM

Just an add on that..... even if according to blood work your Dr determines you are not celiac, does not mean that 100% you do not have it! There can be false negatives, but the blood work does provide a good start.

Hope you feel better soon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: