This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Need Fiber Recommendations

Adalaide

Adalaide Mentor

I'm done feeling sorry for myself with my new diet restrictions. Now I need to actually make the changes but I'm having one issue. Where in the heck will I get fiber from? No yeast (not that bread is generally healthy), no nuts, no beans. Until now I've been eating some beans or a handful of nuts every day. Other than buying a tub of sand... uh, Citrucel, what can I do?

(For anyone curious I'm now tyramine restricted so all food must be fresh or frozen. And when I say fresh I mean peak of freshness, but not overripe... like the only way I'll eat bananas. RIP bananas. and bacon. Okay, maybe I still feel a little sorry for myself over the whole bacon thing.)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

A TBLS. of Ground flax seed in 16 oz. of water is full of fiber.

can you eat WHOLE grains? quinoa, brown rice, etc.

Can you eat any FIBROUS VEGETABLES?

Green leafy veggies, in particular are good.

(BUT take out the ones high in tyramine? I know sauerkraut is out, for example)

Alfalfa Sprouts

Artichoke Hearts

Arugula

Asparagus

Bamboo Shoots

Bean Sprouts

Beet Greens

Bok Choy

Broccoli

Brussels Sprouts

Cabbage

Cauliflower

Celery

Celery Root

Chard

Chicory

Chives

Collard Greens

Dandelion Greens

Eggplant

Endive

Escarole

Fennel

Green beans

Hearts of Palm

Jicama

Kale

Kohlrabi

Leeks

Lettuce

Mushrooms

Okra

Onion

Parsley

Peppers

Radicchio

Radishes

Rhubarb

Scallions

Snow Pea Pods

Sorrel

Spaghetti Squash

Spinach

String beans

Summer Squash

Water Chestnuts

Wax beans

Zucchini

Are dried fruits off limits? Cranberries have good fiber.

Citrucel is full of chemicals. Blech.

Adalaide Mentor

No leafy greens (like spinach and collard but lettuce is okay), no beets, no peas, as far as I can tell the recommendations on dried fruits are mixed so I should probably just avoid them. Either way, cranberries and cherries are on the list. (Cherries? Weird.) You know though I forgot flax exists, I've never eaten it but I don't see why it wouldn't be okay. Once I talk to my doctor again on Mon or Tues I'll know if I can switch to tyramine-light once I have my vision back or if I have to stay tyramine free. If I can go light I can have a little yogurt for smoothies to throw the flax into. I guess I'm headed to the health food store again tomorrow.

You know, my worst fear was having to go soy free. I really need to stop thinking these things since I can apparently think them into existence. Maybe if I concentrate really hard a tiramisu will appear on my desk. :D

You're so full of useful information, I don't know how you do it. I'm a fountain of useless information but hardly know anything I need to know.

IrishHeart Veteran

Wish I could help you with that tiramisu, but there's booze in it, and that's also high in tyramine.

Sorry, hon. Maybe later down the road?

I only learned all this "stuff" from researching.

Not much good came from me being struck down so ill for so long, except I had to figure out what I had to do to replenish by body. I researched and read everything I could and I learned that all the good things I thought I had been doing all along ....were all WRONG :blink:

Life. We live, We learn, (we throw a few temper tantrums and kick some crap around the yard breaking it into little pieces :ph34r: ) and then, we move on.

Try the ground flax seed in water 2X a day. Works like a charm.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Is coconut and coconut milk ok? You could put coconut milk in ice cube trays and make banana smoothies with that, be very thick and a good way to eat the bananas in the state that you're supposed to.

Coconut is also full of fiber. Can you bake with coconut flour? This would require many eggs, no sub for eggs with coconut flour, so I don't know if eggs are a no-no.

Is honey ok? You could mix an egg sub (if eggs are a no) with honey and shredded coconut and make macaroons.

IrishHeart Veteran

Bunz has some GREAT thoughts here!!

I have been doing this myself.

I am a coconut freak, though.

Adalaide, I had to go on the Failsafe Diet for a while (can you say boring? oy vey) because my body was so messed up and on high histamine for so long and I wonder if she has any ideas about avoiding tyramine?

Lemme check and get back to you.

and Adalaide? you have an advantage if your head is full of what you think is useless information. My brain is full of plenty of "useless" info, too.

BUT, it's great for kicking butt in trivial pursuit. I always win.

Adalaide Mentor

I never win at trivial pursuit. Stupid sports. I know pretty close to nothing about sports. If it was all science, music and world war 2 history though I'd be taking names with my kicking butt.

I haven't seen coconut on any no-no lists and I'm good with eggs. (I large amount all at once makes me a little gassy but that's my husband's problem. :lol: ) I love cooking and baking with coconut because my husband can't stand the texture which means he won't eat all my goodies. I also do fine with regular milk which I probably drink more of than my doctor would be comfortable with.

To do list for Monday: buy flax, learn to open coconuts, take video of husband attempting to open coconut, post to youtube.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran
:) you crack me up, girl

:) you crack me up, girl

I just laughed out loud all alone in my house. I get gas from any eggs if I eat them straight, but not when baked into something. I can't even stand myself if I do, I just don't eat eggs anymore.

Adalaide, have you tried psyllium? And chia is really good to bake with, doesn't go rancid like flax will. If you're buying flax, it's usually better to buy whole flax seeds and grind it yourself, rather than buying flax meal. It tends to go rancid within a few weeks of grinding, so won't taste yummy if you buy a whole big bag of preground.

To do list for Monday: buy flax, learn to open coconuts, take video of husband attempting to open coconut, post to youtube.

Post link to forum....

Adalaide Mentor

I'm A: lazy and B: don't have an appliance for grinding flax. I <3 my blender/food processor but it is not friendly for grinding. If I buy meal can I just throw it in the freezer to keep it from being funky or is that not effective?

IrishHeart Veteran

I just laughed out loud all alone in my house. I get gas from any eggs if I eat them straight, but not when baked into something. I can't even stand myself if I do, I just don't eat eggs anymore.

Adalaide, have you tried psyllium? And chia is really good to bake with, doesn't go rancid like flax will. If you're buying flax, it's usually better to buy whole flax seeds and grind it yourself, rather than buying flax meal. It tends to go rancid within a few weeks of grinding, so won't taste yummy if you buy a whole big bag of preground.

DITTO!! eggs IN things, fine. Alone, wicked nausea and SBDs. (silent but deadlies)

and DITTO! on the flax seed. I grind as needed and keep the seeds and the ground meal in the FRIDGE. I go through it fast enough that it does not "go bad" on me.

(I just had this image of the jar of flax seed holding a gun on me)

IrishHeart Veteran

I'm A: lazy and B: don't have an appliance for grinding flax. I <3 my blender/food processor but it is not friendly for grinding. If I buy meal can I just throw it in the freezer to keep it from being funky or is that not effective?

Hmm...I am not sure about the freezer. Maybe Bunnie knows.

Try the psyllium husks instead, then.

Just make sure they are gluten-free.

Hmm...I am not sure about the freezer. Maybe Bunnie knows.

Try the psyllium husks instead, then.

Just make sure they are gluten-free.

You can keep flax alive longer in the freezer, yes. I think you'd be better off with the psyllium and chia though. Better tasting, last longer, and chia is one of the most nutritious foods on the planet. There are stories of ancient armies being sustained by salba (chia) alone during famine. No idea how true that is, but most legends have some basis in fact, and the nutritional profile for chia is very beneficial.

sa1937 Community Regular

I store flax meal in the fridge and have no problem with it going bad. I also have some in the freezer as well as whole flax seeds.

I did buy a Mr. Coffee coffee grinder with a larger capacity to grind seeds, oatmeal to make oat flour, quinoa to make quinoa flour, etc. It does not get used for coffee.

IrishHeart Veteran

I have a coffee grinder for coffee.

And a coffee grinder for flax seed.

They really are not very expensive, as I recall?

sa1937 Community Regular

Mine was about $20 and it holds a lot more than my Krups that's used for coffee. Open Original Shared Link.

Oooo good idea.

IrishHeart Veteran

Oooo good idea.

I have those occassionally. :lol:

Adalaide Mentor

You stir that stuff into water and drink it? :blink: I thought I'd barf. I'll try making it into some hot something in the morning or stirring into something I won't notice. But water? Yeah, gonna skip that.

IrishHeart Veteran

Whatever makes you happy.

Bake into breads or muffins or pancakes.

Blend into smoothies.

Sprinkle on cereals or into oatmeal or buckwheat.

A Tsp. on peanut butter toast.

You asked, we answered. :)

Adalaide Mentor

I sounded like an ungrateful wretch didn't I? Sorry about that, I am really appreciate of the ideas and suggestions and I'll find a way that flax works for me. Or one of the other ideas if flax just doesn't cut the mustard. It was just the shock of it in water, the texture. I can eat a lot of things that don't taste particularly good if the texture is okay, but the whole dirt in water thing got me. I couldn't even bring myself to taste it hot, it was the consistency of boogers. :lol: Works great sprinkled on eggs, not that I eat eggs often.

Archived