This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help!

tams676

tams676 Newbie

I have been gluten free since December of 2011. My mom is celiac and i am also, so i knew quite a bit about what i could and couldnt eat. I have had problems with eating any bread or bread type foods since April. Each time i try with in a few hours (2 or less) the food has completely gone thru me. I am so confused as to what to do or why this is happening. I am very very careful about what i eat. As my dr said i need to read every label, which i do. Please give me some advice.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rosetapper23 Explorer

It could be that you're sensitive to soy or one of the gums used in gluten-free baked goods (xanthan gum and guar gum)....or, alternatively, you may be sensitive to one of the gluten-free grains used in baked goods.

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

I did about 4 strict months on Paleo/Primal where all you eat is meat, veggies, fruit, nuts, eggs and some dairy. Around my birthday I started cheating and eating icecream with gluten free brownies to "celebrate". Then I started adding some gluten free bread. It's been about a month of "experimenting" with gluten free products and I can honestly say I feel like crap. I don't think I can handle grains. It sucks cause I didn't really wanna do the Paleo thing the rest of my life, but I have got to tell you that I felt better than I ever have in my life. No chance of cross contamination except in sourcing the nuts on the Paleo/Primal diet. Now, I crave breads and sugar and think about treats all the time. I didn't do this when I was strictly Paleo. I was wondering myself if there are people who can't do any grains at all. I'm starting to think I am one of them. Ugh.

Try eliminating the gluten free breads entirely for a while and then try it again. I'm having the same reactions with gluten free crackers, desserts or breads. I am considering it may have been preservatives or as Rosetapper said maybe it's xanthan gum etc. I know I can't do soy. It makes me swell. Or maybe I'm one of those who just can't do many carbs at all. The more I eat grain, the more I want to eat grain. But when I ate meat and veggies I was fine as soon as I was full and no digestive problems or stomach aches at all. I'm sitting here with a tummy ache and regretting the crackers I ate today. Seems whatever the amount is...even small amounts...I can't deal with it physically. I hate feeling like crap. I guess I don't have any answers for you but have the same questions. Just wanted you to know you are not alone. Wow. This disease is such a challenge...you never know whether it was gluten or another food intolerance. I'm 2 years into it and still figuring things out. All I know is that when I was completely "against the grain" my body loved me for it. I wonder if others are like us too? I'm sure they are....that is why Paleo/Primal is so popular. If you are not familiar with it, Mark's Daily Apple is a good resource to read up on how to do it. I think Rosetapper does it too if I remember correctly!? Am I right Rose? ;)

Anyway, just trial yourself off grain for a few weeks then test again. That is going to be my approach. Also enzymes and probiotics might help you digest the grains. Try using them and see if it helps. Doesn't work for me...I still feel bad on grain with enzymes and probiotics...but when I ate meat and veg and took them...it was wonderful.

Hope this helps you. Sorry you feel ucky.

GFinDC Veteran

I have been gluten free since December of 2011. My mom is celiac and i am also, so i knew quite a bit about what i could and couldnt eat. I have had problems with eating any bread or bread type foods since April. Each time i try with in a few hours (2 or less) the food has completely gone thru me. I am so confused as to what to do or why this is happening. I am very very careful about what i eat. As my dr said i need to read every label, which i do. Please give me some advice.

OK, advice then. Cut the labels off all the packages and tape them in a note pad. Look them over and write down all the common ingredients of the ones that make you sick. One or more of those common ingredients is affecting your digestion. You can stop all the baked goods for a few weeks. Then trial the common ingredients one at a time for 3 days running. If zanthan gum is question mark then get some zanthan gum and mix it in some rice and eat it. You could leave the zanthan gum for last as it is harder to find and may be expensive. It would be cheaper and easier to trial things like potato starch, soy, or milk at the beginning. Don't stop after finding one troublesome ingredient though. Keep going until you have trialed all of them one at a time. With your reactions being so clear it shouldn't be too hard to identify the problem item/items.

If it turns out to be potato starch you may have a problem with other nightshades also, like tomato and peppers and eggplant.

~**caselynn**~ Enthusiast

OK, advice then. Cut the labels off all the packages and tape them in a note pad. Look them over and write down all the common ingredients of the ones that make you sick. One or more of those common ingredients is affecting your digestion. You can stop all the baked goods for a few weeks. Then trial the common ingredients one at a time for 3 days running. If zanthan gum is question mark then get some zanthan gum and mix it in some rice and eat it. You could leave the zanthan gum for last as it is harder to find and may be expensive. It would be cheaper and easier to trial things like potato starch, soy, or milk at the beginning. Don't stop after finding one troublesome ingredient though. Keep going until you have trialed all of them one at a time. With your reactions being so clear it shouldn't be too hard to identify the problem item/items.

If it turns out to be potato starch you may have a problem with other nightshades also, like tomato and peppers and eggplant.

Great advice, once the problem ingredient is narrowed down it can be eliminated. Good luck!!

mommida Enthusiast

Keep in mind that some reactions to food(S) or airborn allergens can last 12 days.

• 1 month later...
cap6 Enthusiast

Excellent suggestion! Easier than a daily food diary

I haven' had a problem with breads until recently. Las couiple of months I have noticed that if I have bread for lunch (or gluten-free pizza etc) a coiple of hours later I have a major blood sugar crash...shaky, clammy. Like an overload of carbs or something. Funny how our guts change as we heal/

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

txplowgirl Enthusiast

Just because it says gluten free dosen't mean it is. It still has trace gluten in it. Under 5 PPM. You may be supersensitive and reacting to that trace of it.

Archived