5 replies to this topic

#1 RPM

RPM

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:28 AM

I know that about 10-15% of Celiac's react to gluten-free oats because of the avenin in it...my question is, is the reaction different than a gluten one? My gluten reactions are usually very neuro/mental so if the avenin reaction is a different kind of reaction, then I wouldn't mind taking the risk because there's been some products recently that have certified gluten-free oats that I've been wanting to try

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 sa1937

sa1937

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:47 AM

Since no two people react the same to anything, how will you know if you don't try them?
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#3 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:12 PM

For the most part my reactions to the avenin protein is very similar to my gluten reaction. When I actually ate the gluten free oats I ended up with horrible reflux, horrible abdominal pain/bloating and constipation for a week. This was my typical gluten reaction at the time. I did have an additional symptom with the oats. I got a painful blistering rash on my bottom!

I am sensitive to the gluten free oat cross contamination also. It kept me sick for 8 months with fat malabsorption, reflux, diarrhea, caused inflammation and stomach ulcer (showed up on scope) before I figured that out. I avoided the oats but didn't think to ask about CC.

I avoid any gluten free product that has potential oat CC. There are brands I do trust.

You'll just have to try them to see how your body reacts. There are plenty of celiacs/gluten intolerent people that eat them without incident.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#4 DougE

DougE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:57 AM

I would like to turn this question around. I have Celiac Disease but without telling symptoms. Therefore I am careful about not eating gluten because I know it is damaging to my intestines, but have no way to know if I accidentally consumed it. Does avenin work the same way? Should I be avoiding gluten-free oats just in case? Or is the reaction to gluten-free oats strictly one of discomfort?

#5 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:45 AM

I know that about 10-15% of Celiac's react to gluten-free oats because of the avenin in it...my question is, is the reaction different than a gluten one? My gluten reactions are usually very neuro/mental so if the avenin reaction is a different kind of reaction, then I wouldn't mind taking the risk because there's been some products recently that have certified gluten-free oats that I've been wanting to try

It is a gluten reaction, complete with TTG antibodies and villous atrophy. I suppose people could be oat intolerant too, but the real concern is that oats are so closely related to wheat that some celiacs react as if they are a gluten grain.

I would like to turn this question around. I have Celiac Disease but without telling symptoms. Therefore I am careful about not eating gluten because I know it is damaging to my intestines, but have no way to know if I accidentally consumed it. Does avenin work the same way? Should I be avoiding gluten-free oats just in case? Or is the reaction to gluten-free oats strictly one of discomfort?

If I recall, CSA recommends you wait a full year after going gluten-free before you introduce oats.
http://www.csaceliac...ide_to_oats.jsp
Then you're supposed to go to the doctor and get re-tested for antibodies after you've been eating oats for a few months. As I mentioned above, it's possible to have a celiac reaction to avenin.

#6 Cheryl_C

Cheryl_C

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:45 AM

I eat gluten-free oats, but not by the bowlful. I use them in baking - cookies, granola bars, that sort of thing. So far I haven't reacted to them, though my stomach has so many issues that sometimes it's hard to tell. In any case, if you were thinking about eating some, I wouldn't recommend eating a huge amount until you know how your body will handle it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: