1 reply to this topic

#1 Jeepster

Jeepster

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 04:43 PM

After years of being poked, prodded, and generally told by my doctors that my physical ailments were just stress-related, I was finally diagnosed with celiac disease nine months ago. It has been difficult emotionally and I have been struggling with my diet during this time so that my symptoms have not improved much except that I have gotten control over my diarrhea. A somewhat annoying secondary symptom has been constant burning pain in my eyes since I was a child. After seeing a highly recommended opthamologist, he found that I have "Ocular Surface Disintegration" of my eyes, to the point where I now have cornea involvement. He put me on Restasis. He thought there could be a correlation between my autoimmune disease and the problem with my eyes but wouldn't go as far as saying that if I got my celiac disease in order my eyes would heal. I would really appreciate any info on similar experiences or advice that can be shed on this particular symptom. Obviously my biggest fear is in going blind.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 drjmarkusic

drjmarkusic

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 04:33 PM

After years of being poked, prodded, and generally told by my doctors that my physical ailments were just stress-related, I was finally diagnosed with celiac disease nine months ago. It has been difficult emotionally and I have been struggling with my diet during this time so that my symptoms have not improved much except that I have gotten control over my diarrhea.  A somewhat annoying secondary symptom has been constant burning pain in my eyes since I was a child.  After seeing a highly recommended opthamologist, he found that I have "Ocular Surface Disintegration" of my eyes, to the point where I now have cornea involvement.  He put me on Restasis.  He thought there could be a correlation between my autoimmune disease and the problem with my eyes but wouldn't go as far as saying that if I got my celiac disease in order my eyes would heal.  I would really appreciate any info on similar experiences or advice that can be shed on this particular symptom.  Obviously my biggest fear is in going blind.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

celiac disease presents with other physical ailments, sad to report, whether or not these ailments are decreased in symptoms or even "cured" is another story. We don't have enough research relative to the many other disorders which are created. It is a waiting situation. Hopefully, the Ocular Surface Disintegration will begin to repair itself.
Dr. J

"peace. it does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. it means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart." author unknown

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: