43 replies to this topic

#1 SleepyBunny

SleepyBunny

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:08 PM

Ok I've been gluten-free for almost a year and df almost that long also. Found out I'm also hypothyroid. Started levo didn't really feel much better. Went to a dr to talk about adding t3. She ran tests and even though my TSH had started creeping up just because it was in normal range she just called it a day. So I stooped taking the levo. (I know, I know) I finally ended up going to a wellness clinic. He had me fast, detox diet and take a bunch of supplements. I had low morning cortisol, tummy issues, and blood sugar issues.

After the detox diet he told me to start adding in food but around that time my body started going crazy and I started getting bad anxiety. I couldn't tell if my tummy was upset from adding something in or anxiety. So I've been waiting and trying to add stuff in slowly. The wellness dr finally told me to start armour, I got it filled at a compounding pharmacy cos the one I got at the regular pharmacy gave me a reaction. (I'm thinking corn) Well I've been on these Thyroid caps for about 2 weeks. I eat about 6 times a day but now when I get off work at night I just wanna stuff myself :( I really want to lose weight. I've been pretty much eating rabbit food and exercising and have only been losing like an ounce at a time. How am I supposed to lose weight if it seems like these pills are making me hungry? Also I'm kinda getting bored with my diet. Boredom and hunger are not a good combination! I still feel like I could use more energy. And I've been sleeping a lot again. I'm wondering if it's from eating carbs/sugar before bedtime?

Sorry for the long post. Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions or similar stories would be appreciated. :blink:
Gluteny - the 8th deadly sin

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:18 PM

When my metabolism comes up from thyroid medicine I will lose weight even though I eat more. I think you can burn more food faster with your thyroid working correctly. Eating carbs/sugar before bedtime sure makes me tired!

#3 SleepyBunny

SleepyBunny

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:52 PM

How long does it take for the weight loss to show on the scale? I don't want to eat more but I get so hungry! Lol When do you take yours and how much are you on?

#4 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:33 AM

I'm on 90 mg of Acella thyroid, and I take it in the morning. It's a generic for Armour. I gradually lost ten pounds in about three months after getting on the right dose.

#5 SleepyBunny

SleepyBunny

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:43 PM

Do you feel like you have more energy? How long would you say it took you to find the right dose? Sorry for all the questions! I'm just ready to feel normal already :) I've been sleeping later again and I don't want to slip back into that. I actually get stuff done now and when I sleep late I'm having to rush to get things done and I feel like my day is shot. Any other benefits you've experienced being on Armour? :)

#6 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:45 PM

I have less trouble with depression and more energy on armour compared to levothyroxine. It also fixed the autoimmune inflammation I kept feeling at the base of my throat.

It usually takes me about 4-6 weeks to start to feel better on a new thyroid dose, and as long as three months for symptoms to fully resolve and TSH to fall. You can still have some ups and downs for six months or so. I do have a little more energy on the armour, though I'm perimenopausal so my hormones are still out-of-whack.

Also my Dr. never told me this but stay away from soy. It's really bad for your thyroid. Go easy on uncooked cruciferous veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, or cabbage. They're OK cooked.

#7 SleepyBunny

SleepyBunny

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:04 AM

Yeah after my detox diet I tried adding soy (gluten free soy sauce) and didn't feel too good so I think soy is gonna have to go anyway. Luckily I found a soy free and gluten free soy sauce :D I guess I'm going to have to learn to like nori for sushi. The soy wraps were so good but oh well :( I'm on 30mg. I just hope the dr works with me on the way I feel instead of just the numbers. I take mine at night just because empty stomach wise it's just easier. But I wonder if it's keeping me fom feeling if it's working since the t3 wears off quicker.

#8 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:11 AM

I think you just need a little more time. :) If you can time taking it in the morning it might be good but it's more important to take it on an empty stomach.

#9 SleepyBunny

SleepyBunny

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:19 PM

I know I just need to be patient. I've only been on it for 2 weeks and it's a low dose. I've just felt like crap for so long I just want to be well already :) Thank you for always responding to my posts. You're a smart (gluten free) cookie :D

#10 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:09 AM

Hi Sleepy. You mentioned that your tsh was climbing when you last saw your Doc. Did the Wellness Clinic also test your levels? It may take up to a year to get the correct dosing. Also, people have different symptom reduction with trying different "brands" of thyroid meds.

And remember, thyroid disease is for life, just like Celiac. No starting and stopping. Thyroid issues can become very serious, very fast, if not addressed correctly. You should also have your levels checked at the very least, every four months until the level is stable. Then once a year should be sufficient, but always consult your Doctor on these matters.

One more note, there are alot of websites offering natural "concoctions" for thyroid disease. It is simply not the way to go. You need to get it under control. This is just my opinion on natural remedies.

Good luck getting better. :D

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

hairy-spider-smiley-emoticon.gif

#11 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:30 AM

Ack. I hit the minus when I meant to vote your post up, Colleen! Those buttons are too small. That's great advice about not stopping and starting thyroid meds. Very important!

#12 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:24 PM

I just plussed her...so when someone else also does, it'll all be good. Posted Image
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#13 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:27 PM

I just plussed her...so when someone else also does, it'll all be good. Posted Image

Wood hoo I'm normal again. Actually I had no idea what those buttons did. :P

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

#14 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:30 PM

Wood hoo I'm normal again. Actually I had no idea what those buttons did. :P

You're better than normal!!! I just plussed you again. Posted Image
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#15 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:54 PM

What does that mean them. I'm up 1 green. Does that make me awesome? Seriously, what does it mean? :unsure:

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: