43 replies to this topic

#16 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:42 PM

I just plussed her...so when someone else also does, it'll all be good. Posted Image

Thanks! B) Some people pay attention to the post ratings so I always feel bad when I goof.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 SleepyBunny

SleepyBunny

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 06:30 PM

I know I shouldn't have stopped my meds but I was so unbelievably frustrated :( I started compounded thyroid about 3 weeks ago. Some days I feel pretty good (not necessarily as good as I think I should feel) and others I feel like this is never going to end :( The wellness dr did not test my thyroid. I showed him results from past drs and actually got my gp to prescribe the thyroid med. My gp wants to test me soon to check my levels. I want to up my meds myself cos I'm starting to feel tired a lot again. :( It's to the point of we're it's almost impossible to wake up when I have to work in the morning. I keep looking for reasons to go home or call in. The wellness dr has me eating better but also wants me eating like 6 times a day. When all I want to do is sleep it makes it difficult to cram all that food in. I find myself craving sugar (fruit). I ate a rice cake with honey almond butter before bed last night and it put me in a sleep coma. :( It just seems like every time I start to feel better something screws it up and it's so hard keeping track of all of this.
Gluteny - the 8th deadly sin

#18 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:44 AM

Carbs make me tired. I also am feeling a little better since I dumped dairy. Turns out I'm somewhat intolerant to it and the intolerance was making me tired.

#19 SleepyBunny

SleepyBunny

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 01:04 PM

I'm df also. It just sucks that my body seems to punish me for the smallest things :( I need to call my dr and have him increase my thyroid medication. The past 2 days I've been sleeping till 3-4 in the afternoon :( I just hope he does it without me having to go in cause I can't call in anymore for a while.

#20 beachbirdie

beachbirdie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:45 AM

I'm df also. It just sucks that my body seems to punish me for the smallest things :( I need to call my dr and have him increase my thyroid medication. The past 2 days I've been sleeping till 3-4 in the afternoon :( I just hope he does it without me having to go in cause I can't call in anymore for a while.

With thyroid, you need to make all your changes slowly. It is very easy to "miss the mark" if you change doses too quickly because especially with the T4 part, it takes weeks for the levels to stabilize. The general recommendation is to NOT change meds sooner than 5 or 6 weeks after a previous dose change.

As for the T3, if you have the patience and the will, the absolute BEST way to regulate the T3 part is to take the T3 separately from the T4 and dose your T3 every few hours through the day. Helps overcome the problems with the short half-life, as well as the "surge" that happens a couple of hours after taking your dose. It's a pain in the neck though ;).

Whatever you choose to do as far as the timing of your dose, just make sure it's consistent. It doesn't hurt to take it with food, but you must ALWAYS take it with food if you decide to do it that way. The testing will catch up to your habits. If you take at bedtime, you must ALWAYS take it at bedtime.

The other thing is, make sure you do NOT take your T3-containing meds on the day of testing. The T3 surge can give you a very high reading that will make you look hyperthyroid when you really are not.
1999 - Hypothyroid
2003 - Hashimoto's Disease
2008 - Diverticulitis
2009 - Significant Vit D Deficiency
2011 - Diverticulitis again
2011 - HLA-DQ2.2
2012 - TtG IgG positive... I am now, finally, Gluten Free - 5/16/2012

#21 SleepyBunny

SleepyBunny

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:11 PM

I've been taking 30mg of Thyroid which is lower than what I was taking with the levo. I believe it's equivalent to 50mcg of levo? I was taking 75mcg and even then with my last blood test my TSH had started creeping up again. I know I need to take this slowly but it's not easy :( I'm so tired of having no energy and sleeping a lot. Even my husband has noticed. He said you were doing better and now it's like you're in slow motion again. I called the drs office to see if he can bump it up. I have labs in 3 weeks so it should give it time. I actually bumped up my dose myself last night. I know I know!!! But I'm sure you guys know how desperate it can get when you feel this way. I'm on 30mg and split one. So I took 45mg. If he bumps me to 60mg I'll take 45mg till I finish what I have just to ease into it. I do just take it once and at bedtime and I seem to do well that way. I'll give it time like you said. Thank you guys for responding it really helps calm me down. :)

#22 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:28 PM

I hate modern docs relying on TSH. My grandmother was on Armour thyroid all her life after having her thyroid knocked out for Graves' disease. Her doctor told her to take more thyroid if she was tired, less if she felt speedy. When she was in the nursing home and got put on levo instead of her Armour she hated it!

30 mg of Armour does seem low after 75 of levo. I went onto 90 from needing 137 mcg of levo.

#23 SleepyBunny

SleepyBunny

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:19 PM

I hate modern doctors that just don't listen :/ That sucks about your grandma. If she's been on this med this long and knows and understands it they should respect that and let her keep taking it.

Yeah 30mg is low but I've been off levo for about 2 months so it's probably a good thing that he started me there. I felt a little better today after taking 45mg. I'm going to call the dr in the morning and see if he's going to increase it or if I'm going to have to go to his office and have a breakdown to show him how crazy this is making me :blink: lol I thought going gluten free was hard but this is definitely worse. I know it's going to take time.

How are you doing on your dosage? If you don't mind me asking what kind of hypo symptoms did you have? Are they gone now? If I've asked you before I'm sorry. Memory problems is one of my symptoms :huh: lol

#24 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:15 PM

I had all the hypo symptoms in the book. Dry skin, hair falling out, tired, depression, brain fog, weight gain, balance problems, shivering cold in 70 degree weather. TSH was over 5.0 and I had tons of Hashimoto's antibodies. My Dr. upped my T4 and I still felt bad. Tried some T3 and my TSH was down but I still felt foggy and memory problems. finally got an endo to put me on natural thyroid. I'm OK physically now but my mind is still all screwed up even on the natural thyroid. :(

#25 SleepyBunny

SleepyBunny

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:41 PM

Ugh I know what you mean about the mind part. You feel fine for a bit then you're forgetting everything and your emotions are all over the place. After this weekend with all the sleeping/insomnia I fell like my brain is dehydrated. Upping my dose seems to be helping. After my brain rehydrates I feel that I'll feel better. I can't wait to get some energy so I can get back to working out. My body has felt pretty weak these past few days so hopefully that will improve too.

I've had most of the symptoms you've had too. People sure look at you funny when you wear a sweater when it's 100* outside :ph34r: Lol The wellness dr I've been seeing said I have hashimoto's too. I didn't think my tests showed that I did but I guess they did.

Are you still having trouble thinking right and remembering things? Do you think your dose needs to be tweaked or do you just need to wait for it to level out? Man me and you have such similar situations! :)

#26 beachbirdie

beachbirdie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:08 AM

I've been taking 30mg of Thyroid which is lower than what I was taking with the levo. I believe it's equivalent to 50mcg of levo? I was taking 75mcg and even then with my last blood test my TSH had started creeping up again. I know I need to take this slowly but it's not easy :( I'm so tired of having no energy and sleeping a lot. Even my husband has noticed. He said you were doing better and now it's like you're in slow motion again. I called the drs office to see if he can bump it up. I have labs in 3 weeks so it should give it time. I actually bumped up my dose myself last night. I know I know!!! But I'm sure you guys know how desperate it can get when you feel this way. I'm on 30mg and split one. So I took 45mg. If he bumps me to 60mg I'll take 45mg till I finish what I have just to ease into it. I do just take it once and at bedtime and I seem to do well that way. I'll give it time like you said. Thank you guys for responding it really helps calm me down. :)

Yes, the 30 mg of Thyroid is roughly equivalent to 50 mcg synthetic. You probably are a little underdosed.

I second what Skylark said. Your doc must stop adjusting doses by TSH. Natural thyroid very quickly lowers the TSH and a lot of doctors think you are hyper when you are NOT. They need to do your Free T3 and Free T4 in order to manage doses well.

My TSH was near zero for a very long time and I was nowhere near hyper. It's been creeping up but I've been forgetting my pills a lot (major life stress going on).

I know what you mean about the slow motion thing. I used to tell my husband I felt like I was trying to run in waist-deep mud. It's especially hard to get back into feeling so sluggish when you've had times when you've felt really good. Ugh!

Hopefully you'll be feeling more energetic soon, and hopefully the natural thyroid will work well for you. I love mine, I will NEVER EVER go back to synthetic alone. Even if I have to go out in the woods, hunt down the wild pigs and stir it up in my bathtub. :ph34r:
1999 - Hypothyroid
2003 - Hashimoto's Disease
2008 - Diverticulitis
2009 - Significant Vit D Deficiency
2011 - Diverticulitis again
2011 - HLA-DQ2.2
2012 - TtG IgG positive... I am now, finally, Gluten Free - 5/16/2012

#27 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:13 AM

Are you still having trouble thinking right and remembering things? Do you think your dose needs to be tweaked or do you just need to wait for it to level out? Man me and you have such similar situations! :)

I still feel muzzy-headed and dizzy most of the time. I don't know what's wrong but I don't think it's thyroid. One of my friends said she felt this way in perimenopause. I think maybe my thyroid crash-and-burn set me on the path to menopause a little early.

Your head will probably clear out. I think I'm just unlucky.

#28 SleepyBunny

SleepyBunny

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:00 AM

I still feel muzzy-headed and dizzy most of the time. I don't know what's wrong but I don't think it's thyroid. One of my friends said she felt this way in perimenopause. I think maybe my thyroid crash-and-burn set me on the path to menopause a little early.

Your head will probably clear out. I think I'm just unlucky.

Is there anyway to test and see if you're in peri menopause? Sorry if that's a dumb question. I'm not sure how that works. Just keep looking for answers. I know its frustrating. I keep thinking were things really that bad to go through all of this? I just have to keep believing it will be worth it. I keep wanting to give up and stop taking thyroid medication and go celebrate with a bucket of macaroni and cheese and a wall of cake :lol: But I know it's a bad idea. I'll be praying that your luck will change and you will soon get to the point that so many of us are struggling to reach :) And if you need to vent I'm here! :)

#29 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:08 PM

Is there anyway to test and see if you're in peri menopause? Sorry if that's a dumb question. I'm not sure how that works. Just keep looking for answers. I know its frustrating. I keep thinking were things really that bad to go through all of this? I just have to keep believing it will be worth it. I keep wanting to give up and stop taking thyroid medication and go celebrate with a bucket of macaroni and cheese and a wall of cake :lol: But I know it's a bad idea. I'll be praying that your luck will change and you will soon get to the point that so many of us are struggling to reach :) And if you need to vent I'm here! :)

Thanks a million! I read this at just the right time today, because I'm sitting here dizzy and frustrated. Your kind words mean a lot. :)

My endocrinologist wants to get my TSH settled first and then we will deal with the perimenopause. I think there are tests for it. I have a naturopath I'll get to see in a couple weeks once I'm back from vacation and she will probably have some ideas too.

#30 SleepyBunny

SleepyBunny

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:28 PM

Thanks a million! I read this at just the right time today, because I'm sitting here dizzy and frustrated. Your kind words mean a lot. :)

My endocrinologist wants to get my TSH settled first and then we will deal with the perimenopause. I think there are tests for it. I have a naturopath I'll get to see in a couple weeks once I'm back from vacation and she will probably have some ideas too.

Aaaww I'm glad I could make you feel a little better :) You always help me on here and I appreciate it! :)
Being dizzy sucks :( I hope you're feeling better! At least you're on vacation. That always helps :) have you been to this naturopath before? Do you like seeing them? Are they able to prescribe thyroid meds? Sorry for all the questions lol :)

Where are you vacationing? :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: