#1 Skittles

Skittles

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:02 PM

Hello all,

Vodka has always been my drink of choice when at a party. I know that some vodka is distilled with wheat so I avoid those kinds and have been drinking ones distilled with a corn base. But I have realized that I have a corn sensitivity so I'm thinking I should now avoid those kinds of vodkas. I heard there are vodkas distilled with potato? Is there anything else they distill it with. Do any of you guys have this problem and know what kind of vodkas I can drink?
PS. I am in Canada
Diagnosed with celiac by blood test in the beginning of April 2012 and confirmed with endoscopy April 20th 2012.
Gluten free since May 2012 (for 5 months.. relapsed for about a month and have been gluten free again since Nov 2012)
Corn & corn syrup free since May 2012
Dairy limited since Aug 2012
Nightshades limited since Aug 2012

Fructose limited since Nov 2012

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:51 PM

Hello all,

Vodka has always been my drink of choice when at a party. I know that some vodka is distilled with wheat so I avoid those kinds and have been drinking ones distilled with a corn base. But I have realized that I have a corn sensitivity so I'm thinking I should now avoid those kinds of vodkas. I heard there are vodkas distilled with potato? Is there anything else they distill it with. Do any of you guys have this problem and know what kind of vodkas I can drink?
PS. I am in Canada

Chopin Vodka is good. I never had a problem with any vodkas, but I switched to wine several years ago.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 beachbirdie

beachbirdie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:10 PM

Hello all,

PS. I am in Canada

It's a bit expensive, but I like a French vodka that is distilled from grapes. It's called "CÓroc". It has both flavored and plain varieties.

I don't drink much vodka, but I use it to make my own vanilla. This one I can actually take sips of and not gag! :)
1999 - Hypothyroid
2003 - Hashimoto's Disease
2008 - Diverticulitis
2009 - Significant Vit D Deficiency
2011 - Diverticulitis again
2011 - HLA-DQ2.2
2012 - TtG IgG positive... I am now, finally, Gluten Free - 5/16/2012

#4 Chad Sines

Chad Sines

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:05 PM

i just have to think that the amount of gluten that could possibly get through that process has to be no more than you would get CC'd with just being alive assuming nothing is added later to it. I think a lot of people's issue with the hard liquor is that their gut is too tender for it. I could be wrong.

#5 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:17 PM

I think a lot of people's issue with the hard liquor is that their gut is too tender for it.

I agree. Many quality liquors are triple distilled. You just need to do your homework.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#6 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,006 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:23 PM

I agree with Chad and Lisa. Until your gut heals, it may just be too much. Most liquor is around 40% alcohol (80 proof), which is a strong concentration. A few rums (rum is never from grain) are as much as 75% alcohol.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 ~**caselynn**~

~**caselynn**~

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:28 PM

I, myself, like the Twenty2 Vodka. It's made in Maine, actually in my hometown, and states right on their site that it's gluten-free. Check it out for yourself: twenty2vodka.com
~**caselynn**~

#8 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:10 AM

I like Vikingfjord, potato vodka. When drinking I tend to prefer it as even red wine has too much sugar for me.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#9 Skittles

Skittles

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:36 PM

Thanks for the info guys :)
Diagnosed with celiac by blood test in the beginning of April 2012 and confirmed with endoscopy April 20th 2012.
Gluten free since May 2012 (for 5 months.. relapsed for about a month and have been gluten free again since Nov 2012)
Corn & corn syrup free since May 2012
Dairy limited since Aug 2012
Nightshades limited since Aug 2012

Fructose limited since Nov 2012

#10 butterfl8

butterfl8

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:01 AM

Luksusowa is a good potato vodka.
I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people, but still I keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.
--David Sedaris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: