This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Alcohol And Sleep

Tutahl75

crimsontopper Rookie

im new to the gluten free world and still trying to process everything. for a while now when i drink, especially beer, i get an instant headache. so needless to say, i dont drink beer anymore. is this something that happens to other people?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor
im new to the gluten free world and still trying to process everything. for a while now when i drink, especially beer, i get an instant headache. so needless to say, i dont drink beer anymore. is this something that happens to other people?

If you are on the gluten-free diet beer is off limits. It is not gluten free as it is made with barley and some beers also use wheat. There are gluten-free beers available, Redbridge is one of them. Please read as much here as you can. There is a lot to the diet but it is doable. Also post any questions you may have.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

A friend sent me this link yesterday. I always wondered why wine makes me so ill, now I understand:

Open Original Shared Link ... 1102.story

• 3 weeks later...
FastEddie Newbie

Newly diagnosed and still learning about the disease. However, in my "normal" life I direct a substance abuse counseling center. The body has to work rather hard to break down alcohol and in the evening there are many people who find their sleep difficult or interrupted. You're right that it's the liver working overtime. The sleep isn't restful. However, keeping the use moderate to light, and also stopping a few hours before going to bed may help.

Ed

Hi There,

Yes I have the same problem. My sleep has improved dramatically since going gluten-free 5 months ago.

I have bocome totally intolerant to alcohol though. Apart from making me really tired and sick - the hangover starts on the first drink, and I get drunk from one, it wakes me up during the right. I usually wake up between 1 and 3 am which is 'liver time', and cannot get back to sleep at all.

I believe that my liver has been struggling for so long with all the toxins from gluten and all my other food intolerance I didn't know about, now that its healing, the alcohol is like poison in my system. I get the same effect from taking half a sleeping pill!

That's my theory anyway! However, in answer to your question - yes alcohol definitely interferes with my sleep.

I have basically given up drinking altogether - its not fair - I crave a nice red wine! :D

Yvonne

Taurus20032 Newbie

Hello everyone,

I also have a HUGE problem with sleep. I just found this site today to try and get answers. I have Celiac, but only found out three years ago after 20 years of hell with my stomach. I am also all Italian...need I say more.

Last night I drank two glasses of red wine and slept for an hour and then was awake for the rest of the night. I've had sleep issues for over 15 years. Giving up coffee has helped me a bit. I think with alcohol, initially you fall asleep, but after the "sugar" starts to metabolize, it wakes you up. You get a high from the sugar. I strongly feel that people with Celiac have major issues with sugar, dairy and of course wheat/gluten. Taking a probiotic and time released magnesium has also helped me.

Had anyone tried any supplements for sleep? I am looking for more ideas.

Victoria

JillianLindsay Enthusiast

One glass of wine doesn't seem to bother me, but if I have more than that then I wake up feeling very tired & grumpy :angry:

Guess I'll save money on wine & save myself from hangovers! :)

Cheers,

Jillian

I have a group of friends that like to get together and have drinks on the weekend. I try not to get carried away but sometimes I enjoy having three to six drinks.

However, I've noticed that it effects my sleep. It leaves me on edge for a couple of days. I've had trouble with my sleep since i was having my symptoms of celiacs pre diagnosis. After diagnosis my sleep has improved a bit but still gets frustrating.

Just wondering if anyone has noticed this as well.

• 2 weeks later...
sus10 Newbie
Thanks Yvonne. We've been married for 6 years and I have seen him "quit" before but is has been half-hearted attempts. But there is something different about it this time. I see in him what I see in me when I have to stop eating something I love - a determination to figure out how to live without it and move on to a healthier life. We'll see, and I'm not holding my breath! :)

I am intrigued to see others on this list mention they can't handle alcohol anymore. I was really depressed about it at first, I love a good wine. But I hate feeling bad and just can't take that hangover feeling I get from the smallest amount of alcohol. One of my worst hangovers in ages was a year or so ago when I had a shot of gin mixed in a pint of soda water, and I ended up drinking only half, and I still felt like I'd been run over by a train.

I wonder if there are any long term Celiacs who have regained their ability to drink or if it's just what you have to live with as well? Sometimes I think my reaction is that I am out of the habit of drinking, but I don't guess that's really the case, if other people on this list are reporting similar experiences.

Oh well...

Stephanie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
OliveBranch Apprentice

So I had to learn this lesson the hard way, again, last night. Just a tiny amount of wine -- no more than 2 ounces -- and I was up for 3 hours in the middle of the night and still feel quite toxic today. :huh: This after a wonderful string of nights when I slept well (and what a blessing it is when that happens).

I really miss being able to enjoy a little wine every now and then -- have any of you who have had this sort of alcohol intolerance been able to drink (even just a little) again when you were more healed? Looking through this thread, I haven't found a whole lot of encouragement (though it is very comforting to know that others have this problem).

I have a group of friends that like to get together and have drinks on the weekend. I try not to get carried away but sometimes I enjoy having three to six drinks.

However, I've noticed that it effects my sleep. It leaves me on edge for a couple of days. I've had trouble with my sleep since i was having my symptoms of celiacs pre diagnosis. After diagnosis my sleep has improved a bit but still gets frustrating.

Just wondering if anyone has noticed this as well.

• 3 weeks later...
littleflower Newbie

Has anyone thought about the sulfites in wine? I used to be O.K. with it, but now am getting sensitive to that aswell as some other things like soy and almonds. Sooooooooo Sad!

Archived