58 replies to this topic

#31 Ninja

Ninja

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:04 AM

To be diagnosed when already on a gluten free diet, a long and intensive gluten challenge is required. So apparently incidental glutening does not carry far enough to be diagnosed. Of course this does not mean it is ok to be careless, it only gives some comparison. .

It may have something to do with our current testing procedures – vs. not having measurable damage. I'm anxious for further studies on the in vitro method. I have a hunch that, if put into practice, we may finally get some answers/empirical evidence re: how much gluten causes villi damage.

Gluten Free 2/12 

Let the soul speak with the silent articulation of a face

~Rumi

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,501 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:06 AM

Current studies indicate that most people with Celiac can handle 20ppm. Some are more sensitive.

I'm new to this, and was wondering about the 20ppm... Is that per day? Week? Month? Do you know the frequency of the "safe" consumption?

Thanks.
Nicole
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#33 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:52 AM

I'm new to this, and was wondering about the 20ppm... Is that per day? Week? Month?

None of the above. Ppm is parts per million. It is like a percentage, but much smaller. 20 ppm is 0.002%.

Of course, to consistently test below 20 ppm, the manufacturer must aim much lower, due to batch variations, and test accuracy (do not confuse accuracy with sensitivity).
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

#34 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:15 PM

I'm new to this, and was wondering about the 20ppm... Is that per day? Week? Month? Do you know the frequency of the "safe" consumption?

Thanks.
Nicole

Here is some good information:

http://celiacdisease...ake-Me-Sick.htm

A 2007 study led by Dr. Alessio Fasano, who heads the University of Maryland's Center for Celiac Research, found that people who consumed 50 milligrams of gluten each day had renewed villous atrophy after 90 days, while those consuming zero gluten or 10 milligrams of gluten each day did not.

Dr. Fasano and his colleagues say that many or most people with celiac disease can handle up to 10 milligrams of gluten — the equivalent of 1/8th of a teaspoon of flour, or 1/350th of that slice of bread — in their diets each day without experiencing adverse effects. The study frequently is cited as evidence that celiacs can handle "gluten-free"-labeled foods with up to 20 parts per million of gluten in them.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#35 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:46 PM

The link Lisa provided explains very well how even a small amount is damaging the intestines:

"You certainly can get very sick — and also damage your intestines — by eating even a tiny amount of conventional bread or other gluten-containing substance.
For example, one study showed that consuming just 1/5th of a slice of regular bread (about 625 milligrams of gluten) one time is enough to cause nasty symptoms, including severe diarrhea and vomiting, and increase villous atrophy in your small intestine.

That makes a delicious-looking gluten-filled cookie a bit less appealing.

Of course, many of us have experienced symptoms from way less gluten than that. Two older studies found symptoms coupled with increasing intestinal inflammation (but not necessarily villous atrophy) in people who consumed just 24 to 30 milligrams of gluten — about 1/145th of a slice of conventional bread (otherwise known as a crumb)."

and by now you are thinking, okay, I got it so far, but
how much gluten is 20 ppm?

http://www.glutenfre...ts-per-million/

and

http://celiacdisease...tes/?a=1617&z=5

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#36 Victoria6102

Victoria6102

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:40 PM

How is it safe for us to eat 1/8 a tsp of flour???! That is an amount you can see...but cross contamination which is not visible because it's so small, makes us sick. I don't think that eating an eighth a tsp of flour is safe for any celiac...just my opinion!

#37 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:56 PM

How is it safe for us to eat 1/8 a tsp of flour???! That is an amount you can see...but cross contamination which is not visible because it's so small, makes us sick. I don't think that eating an eighth a tsp of flour is safe for any celiac...just my opinion!

Victoria,

It's a visual amount, so we can understand better what 20ppm looks like.

Even though you eat as gluten free as possible, you probably consume close to that amount of gluten due to cross contamination in processed gluten free food and other exposures. Most people with Celiac are not even aware of it, or react to it. There are some people who are more sensitive. Fortunately, I'm not one of them. :)

Eating 100% gluten free is a total improbability. :rolleyes:
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#38 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:06 PM

Eating 100% gluten free is a total improbability. :rolleyes:

That's the truth. :)
We can only do our best.

As celiacs, we avoid it religiously and
we should not ingest it purposefully.

It's a gluten-filled world. We have to be wise about CC. But we're going to get "hit" anyway.

A very wise man I know said:

"The planet, Earth is a shared facility"

:)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#39 Ninja

Ninja

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:01 PM

"The planet, Earth is a shared facility"

This is wonderful, IH! Everyone could benefit from a reminder – extending beyond just gluten and Celiac. :) Thank you for sharing!

Gluten Free 2/12 

Let the soul speak with the silent articulation of a face

~Rumi

#40 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:06 PM

This is wonderful, IH! Everyone could benefit from a reminder – extending beyond just gluten and Celiac. :) Thank you for sharing!

Oh hon, I always give props to those who deserve it. This is not my idea.

That wisdom came from someone who has been an invaluable friend to me since I came on c.com....Peter. (Psawyer) :)

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#41 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,501 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:15 PM

Great links! Thanks. So it's about 20ppm per day (approx) that we need to stay below. And less is better of course.

My biggest newbie challenge right now is trying to remember not to finish off the kids' last bite or wipe down everything my kids' food touched before getting out my own... this is going to force me to be a better housekeeper! LOL
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

#42 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:27 PM

Great links! Thanks. So it's about 20ppm per day (approx) that we need to stay below. And less is better of course.

You are still missing the meaning of "ppm." The middle letter is an abbreviation of "per." Parts per million. So you don't do it per hour, per week, per year, etc.--the "per" is already there. 20 ppm is 0.002% of whatever you eat, whenever you eat it.

You can consume amounts appropriate to your caloric intake which contain less than 20 ppm (0.002%) gluten every day--several times per day--if the total intake of such foods remains appropriate to your caloric requirements.

Less is better, but finding a product that will make a label declaration (and thus risk a legal liability) less than 20 ppm is unlikely. A few companies use tests sensitive to levels as low as 5 ppm or even 3 ppm, but for legal reasons they will not make a claim on the label to that effect.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

#43 Strawberry_Jam

Strawberry_Jam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:32 PM

you can "overdose" on foods that are 20 ppm if you eat too many/much of them and end up with a gluten reaction.

some super sensitive celiacs cannot handle one serving of a food that is labelled 20 ppm. others can handle several. others can handle quite a lot.

gluten-free 25 Feb 2011
soy-free 30 March 2011

dairy-free 30 August 2011 (roughly)

25 yrs old
diagnosed Celiac through biopsy and blood test (WAY positive) as of 25 Feb 2011

#44 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:14 AM

Here's a good reference of what 50 mg of gluten looks like:

Posted Image

Photo was taken from the University of Chicago Celiac Disease Center's Facebook page.
http://www.facebook.com/CureCeliac
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#45 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:33 AM

Good visual, Sylvia. :)

"LTES"  Gem 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: