#1 Ninja

Ninja

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:44 PM

Hi

Just a silly question: have any of you had issues going through airport security with supplements such as OTC digestive enzymes? I know they worry about powders and there is powder inside of the capsules...

Thanks!

Gluten Free 2/12 

Let the soul speak with the silent articulation of a face

~Rumi

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tgrahek

tgrahek

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:53 PM

We just flew to NYC last week and I was a bit worried because I was traveling with homemade capsules of baking powder in my carry on as well as a bunch of other meds. Nobody said a word and all went fine.

#3 srall

srall

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:49 AM

I think that would be fine. I've never had a problem with any supplements.

#4 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,234 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:00 AM

If they are in the original bottles, I would think that would be even better.

The problem with airport security is it is inconsistent. I have had a kid accidently take a gatorade in his bag and no one caught it. Then I have had them stop to look at other, allowed things. I try to be prepared for anything. :blink:

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#5 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:58 PM

not a silly question.. i was wondering the same thing.. i havent flown in almost 2 years.. and im going to be flying in August... now that ive been dx w/thyroid crap- and i now have my Armour & Cytomel ... im starting to think i need to buy 1 supplement that has all the rest in one capsule.. cause i take A LOT of stuff... and i cant just carry my L-Glutamine Powder in a baggie...

so i was wondering if i should buy something like Celiact ??

funny too- im watching Jane Fonda on tv now- explaining how when she was arrested for "smuggling drugs thru Canada"- all she had was her daily compartments of vitamins :/

ya, annoying- cause i depend on SO many different supplements: vit d, l-glutamine, b12, selenium, blah blah blah... then my Armour & Cytomel which i CANNOT LIVE WITHOUT.... plus u got all the things we need for emergency- like Gas-x, and Zantac, Digestive Enzymes, Xanax, Advil, Advil pm.. OY VEY
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

#6 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:36 PM

My hubby travels for his job 5 days a week. He goes throughout the US, but also France, Mexico, Sweden, and Germany. He always carries his meds/vitamin supplements in those plastic day of the week boxes. He carries 2 because he has a lot of meds. He has never had a problem going through security with them. However, it's recommended by the airlines that you take prescription meds in their original container and packed in a zip lock baggie.

Liquid meds are limited to only 3.4 ounces. A large bottle with a small amount of liquid is not allowed even if it contains less than 3.4 ounces.

One very important thing my hubby has learned..keep your meds in your carry on lugguge/purse. It's not uncommon to have your luggage get set aside when switching planes and you could arrive at your destination without your lugguge. Supplements can be packed in your regular luggage if you're short on space. If your luggage "goes missing" they can easily be replaced in local stores, whereas RX meds can't.

#7 Ninja

Ninja

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:38 AM

I kept the digestive enzymes in their original container and in a plastic baggy inside my purse. Went through security with NO problems!

Thanks everyone!! :)

Gluten Free 2/12 

Let the soul speak with the silent articulation of a face

~Rumi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: