13 replies to this topic

#1 Mnicole1981

Mnicole1981

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:43 AM

Is it common to start suggesting to family members who suffer the same digestive issues that you have get tested?

I have probably been driving my family nuts with all of this because I have no diagnosis of anything. Everything points to Celiac disease, but if I could just get one person in my life to care, it would be appreciated. I feel like I have been dealing with this on my own.
gluten-gree as of May 9, 2012

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:16 AM

Everyone I'm related to by blood lives 1000 or 2000 miles away. I haven't let that stop me! My husband has had the blood tests which like mine came back negative, fortunately his doctor knows that means nothing. I was diagnosed by biopsy, but our insurance won't pay for an endoscopy and we just don't have the money for it. So instead I have finally after almost 6 months nagged my husband into trying gluten free. It's so painfully obvious to me and he is finally willing to admit that gluten may be his problem. I call it my sixth sense (like the movie), I see celiac people.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#3 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:16 AM

Yup, I always say I am like that little boy in the movie Adalaide mentioned.

I SEE CELIACS....everywhere. :ph34r:

I have educated my large extended family ---full of AI diseases and GI troubles ---and not one (except my Mom) has done a thing about it.

And yet, perfect strangers listen to me. My cat's vet, the dental tech, the phlebotomoist who draws my blood, the UPS guy---all went to be tested.

Are any of them celiacs? yup!
Are any of my family celiacs? Oh, you betcha.

I can talk about it until I'm blue in the face, but until someone gets as sick as I was, they will not believe it. They think I am the only one. (no, I am just the FIRST)

I gave up. They know where to find me if they want help. I lost enough sleep over it.

Don't make yourself crazy over it.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4 Mnicole1981

Mnicole1981

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:57 AM

Thank you. I will definitely try. I would like to be okay with my self-diagnosis, but while I feel a little bit better, there are still new things happening that worry me.

#5 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,505 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:30 PM

I just came here to write the same thing about my mother. She says she is healthy and just has stomach issues and joint pain and heat rash and fatigue... UGH! I am almost sure she has it but she's talking about how she can eat gluten moderately and she will be fine. I argue with her but...

I told her that I'll call to nag her everyday until she gets tested. lol :rolleyes:
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:57 PM

You can mention it to family members. All first degree relatives of a diagnosed celiac should be screened for it.

It is common for them to refuse the idea, and there is no point in nagging them--it will only hurt your relationship with them in the long run. Mention it once--then move on.

Many claim that they are fine; many have overt symptoms, but deny that gluten has anything to do with it; many are scared of the idea of having to eat gluten-free--they would rather keep suffering.

For those who have not actually done the gluten-free diet, it sounds impossible. Even for those of us starting out, it is a major challenge. After 12 years, for me it is not a big deal. But my first year was a steep learning curve, and I did not have the benefit you do of this online support group.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

#7 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:42 AM

I told her that I'll call to nag her everyday until she gets tested. lol :rolleyes:

Don't bother. I pressed my sister (diabetes, hypothyroid, high BP, etc. etc.) because I know siblings should be tested and her symptoms are obvious, but it just irritated her and I backed off.

I worry about her, but as my doctor (and Peter)both have pointed out, she does not want the hassle of dealing with a gluten-free diet and prefers to manage her symptoms with medications and remain status quo.

She an intelligent woman. I know she reads all the info I send her and so, I have to respect that decision.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#8 Mateto

Mateto

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:02 AM

I've been noticing lately a lot of my family members (and I mean a lot) are having gastric, arthritic, mood, and thinking problems....so I'm positive that coeliacs is in my family.
Gluten-free since St George's Day this year :)

#9 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,505 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:00 AM

Ahhh, yes. But my mother understands nagging, I think she sees it as a way of expressing her love. Maybe it is our Ukrainian Polish background.... Lol

I hear what you are saying though. For my brother, I told him, gave him info to look into and advice on how to get an accurate test and he'll decide whether to test based on that.

My mom on the other hand won't do any research and comes up with her own ideas based on.... I don't know what. She obviously ddin't believe me when I told her that her niece's celiac was not caused by an eating disorder as a teen. I only say I'll nag her becAuse it will work and she understands it.

Thanks for your advice.
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

#10 Mnicole1981

Mnicole1981

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:40 AM

I've been noticing lately a lot of my family members (and I mean a lot) are having gastric, arthritic, mood, and thinking problems....so I'm positive that coeliacs is in my family.

Me too. My sister had pasta last night and just kept burping and passing gas all night. I notice everybody's problems now.

#11 veruca

veruca

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:34 AM

My parents and sister were tested and no one has it. I really thought my Mom had it. She has so many health problems that I almost wanted her to have it so she could start to feel better. No dice though. Blood tests were normal and so was her endo.

I have a cousin with fibromyalgia who I've urged sooo many times to be tested. Some people are just too overwhelmed with the idea of going gluten-free. Maybe I wouldn't have sought out a GI to figure out my issues if I had thought for a second that I could have celiacs.
6/21/11 gluten-free
6/21/11 biopsy confirmed celiac disease

#12 ~**caselynn**~

~**caselynn**~

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:31 AM

Is it common to start suggesting to family members who suffer the same digestive issues that you have get tested?

I have probably been driving my family nuts with all of this because I have no diagnosis of anything. Everything points to Celiac disease, but if I could just get one person in my life to care, it would be appreciated. I feel like I have been dealing with this on my own.

When I was diagnosed my GI doc suggested I tell other family members about it so they could get tested if necessary. I have mentioned it a few times, but I figure it's ultimately their decision. Although, I don't refrain from bringing it up when I hear them complain of their gut issues! Haha no better time to have that discussion! :)
~**caselynn**~

#13 Raven815

Raven815

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:29 AM

Hi there,

I have an opposite story. My Mom has had celiac for about 30 years and for a long time she has nagged me that I had it. I never had any symptoms and have always had a weight problem. I have had many auto immune diseases, but thought because I didn't have gut issues and was heavy, there was no way I could have it. Lo and behold, at 49 years old, I became very sick w/ DH. I ahve now had two tests come back positive for celiac (biopsy & celiac blood panel). I am dumbfounded. My Mother is gloating (not really). Now it's my turn to convince my sisters and extended family to be aware. I'm sure none of them will listen to me, either. All I can do is try.

Laura :rolleyes:

#14 Gemme

Gemme

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:16 PM

I think we should have a discussionamong family members. All first degree relatives of a diagnosed celiac should takeit seriously. I have tried to explain my family but no one has done anythingabout it. But there are visitors who listen to me and are living a better life,until they get as sick as I was, they will not believe it. They think its meonly. There is No point wasting time. I keep all my record and I do write diary in case, I am gone and they needhelp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: