15 replies to this topic

#1 josh052980

josh052980

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:26 AM

I took one 500mcg B12 supp pill 2 days ago and I vow here and now I will never touch the stuff again! I have WAY TOO MUCH energy, like a drank a hundred cups of coffee, I'm jittery, panicky, heart palpitations, I hate it.

Anyone ever experience this, and if so, what'd you do to get over it? I already threw the pills out (Nature Made 500mcg), but need to flush this outta me somehow...

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Newtoitall

Newtoitall

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:36 AM

I took one 500mcg B12 supp pill 2 days ago and I vow here and now I will never touch the stuff again! I have WAY TOO MUCH energy, like a drank a hundred cups of coffee, I'm jittery, panicky, heart palpitations, I hate it.

Anyone ever experience this, and if so, what'd you do to get over it? I already threw the pills out (Nature Made 500mcg), but need to flush this outta me somehow...

lol ! I just noticed your post on B12 as I posted mine, I had the opposite effect, the ingredients in mine "Jamieson B12 100mcg" may have made me sick xD

I kinda wish I could get a boost from mine >_> that's an intense reaction.

Gluten Free since Xmas 2010

Current Auto Immune Diseases:

Celiac Disease, Interstitial Cystitis, IBS, Dermatitis Herpetiformis, I'm playing life on Hard Mode.

#3 Diane-in-FL

Diane-in-FL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:39 AM

I never heard of B12 doing that. Maybe it was all that coffee and not the B12? I take 1000 mcg daily.
Gluten Free since 2010

#4 josh052980

josh052980

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:17 AM

I never heard of B12 doing that. Maybe it was all that coffee and not the B12? I take 1000 mcg daily.

I wasn't drinking coffee, it made me feel as though I'd drank a hundred cups of coffee.

#5 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,793 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:54 AM

I take a dosage much higher and have never had an issue with it although I do notice some increase in energy. Are you taking any other drugs or supplements that might have interacted with it? You may want to mention the reaction to your doctor as you can get injections instead if your levels are low.
Wish I could help you with speeding it out of your system. My only suggestion would be to drink lots of water and stay away from caffine or energy drinks until it passes.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#6 Diane-in-FL

Diane-in-FL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:57 AM

I wasn't drinking coffee, it made me feel as though I'd drank a hundred cups of coffee.

Oh sorry.....misread that. ;)
Gluten Free since 2010

#7 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:37 PM

Did you do bloodwork before starting on B-12? It can cause some to get high energy, which for most is welcomed.. but maybe you are sensitive to this ... I suggest before taking B-12, Vit D. calicum, iron & such to have blood work done to see if you need it....
As with drugs , same with vits & minerals, you need to be tested to see if you need it..

This is what gives alternative meds a bad rap..........

#8 sallyalewis

sallyalewis

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:22 PM

I get a B12 shot once a month at the doctor's office. I have not noticed any ups or downs. <_<
Gluten Free since 2/12.
Self/Doctor diagnosed.
No testing done.
Allergic to everything else! - verified by allergist
Rosacea

#9 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:54 PM

I get the shot too after testing really low. Tried the sublingual and broke out in acne all over my face with a bright red rash to boot. Never had acne in my life before........ I needed the B12, but not in that form obviously.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#10 rustycat

rustycat

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:47 PM

I get super jittery on vitamins, too. Usually, I'm ok for the first day or two when I try a new one and then by the second or third day I feel anxiety, palpitations and it makes my insomnia much worse. Sporadic dosing seems to work, but it's not an optimal solution.

Caffeine has been off limits for years because I'm super sensitive to that, too.

If you do find a better solution to getting vitamins without the side effects, I'd love to hear it.

Rickets (severe Vitamin D deficiency) shortly after birth
First trip to Dr with severe C, age 7
Infertility, multiple miscarriages, eventually adopted 2 boys (not related)
2010: Negative celiac blood test, but staying on gluten free diet due to vast improvement in all symptoms
2011: June - started low salicylate diet to improve rosacea - it worked really well!
2012: May - started Paleo way of eating. Emotions and blood sugar seem to have evened out. Brain fog vanished.

2013: May - after 4 month elimination diet, was able to add back dairy, but nightshades are gone for good (my arthritis is gone, too!!!)

#11 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:31 PM

I take a high dose. 1,000 mg plus whatever is in my multi and B Complex. I take it at bed time and it doesn't have that effect on me.

#12 mbrookes

mbrookes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:27 AM

If your doctor reccommends B12 injections, ask about giving them to yourself. I shoot myself once a month and avoid the office visit fee and time consumption.

#13 robertwilburn35

robertwilburn35

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:21 AM

I wouldn't mind having that reaction just prior to my next 10k, hmmmm

#14 redgouramis

redgouramis

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:30 PM

I take a sublingual; B12 with no problem.

#15 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:06 PM

It should not make you feel THAT bad, but I agree that you should not take ANY B supps unless you need them. What did your blood work reveal?

I am living proof that over-supplementing causes more harm than good (nerve pain and burning, agitation, insomnia, pounding heart, and a dozen other issues)

I was B-12 deficient and folate deficient, so I dosed as directed by the PC doc. Once I started absorbing, apparently, those doses were too much and I had bizarre symptoms.

My GI doc said " hey, STOP TAKING THOSE! your levels are sky high!"

I did and they stopped.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: