This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Unusual Combinations

bartfull

bartfull Rising Star

Talking about the bacon sundaes the other day got me to thinking about other unusual food combinations. The one that comes to mind for me is - salt on bananas. My grandfather taught me this when I was just a tiny little kid. They taste SO much better with salt!

I thought I was the only one who did this, but one day when I was working in a restaurant

I served a young lady a banana split. She immediately picked up the salt shaker and started salting the banana. When I asked her about it she said HER grandfather had taught her!

So what strange combinations do YOU like?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jerseyangel Proficient

My grandpa used to put salt on cantaloupe :). I like to scoop up cottage cheese with potato chips and put creamed corn over mashed potatoes.

kareng Grand Master

My hub & 1 son put PB and maple syrup on pancakes.

alex11602 Collaborator

I have a few unusual combos.

One of my grandfathers always put maple syrup on breaded eggplant...it was pretty good.

When I was younger I always loved ketchup sandwiches...ketchup and bread were the only ingredients.

When pregnant with my youngest I loved dipping tortilla chips in cheesecake frosting, I still find it tasty.

Pecan syrup is pretty good in cottage cheese.

One of my daughters sometimes dips her baby carrots in ketchup.

There are probably more that we do that I just can't think of right now.

IrishHeart Veteran

My Grampa and Dad both sprinkled salt on watermelon and green apples.

I love cantaloupe diced over vanilla ice cream.

I also like cantaloupe and cottage cheese

and cantaloupe wrapped in proscitto.

I like warm brie cheese and fig jam on crackers.

and Patti, I also like creamed corn over mashed potatoes. :)

bartfull Rising Star

Mom used to eat peanut butter and pickle sandwiches. (I don't care for PB, and I really dislike pickles.) She and my sister used to enjoy baked bean sandwiches. And my Dad always put mayonaise on cooked spinach.

kareng Grand Master

I have a few unusual combos.

One of my daughters sometimes dips her baby carrots in ketchup.

There are probably more that we do that I just can't think of right now.

my oldest alwys dipped carrots in ketchup. My dad will eat broccoli if he has cocktail sauce or BBQ sauce to dip it in.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

My sister loved french fries but hated mashed potatoes - until she started putting ketchup on them.

GF Lover Rising Star

Love salt on melons, scrambled egg and ketchup sammies are me and my Dad's favs. Hubs likes the PB and syrup on french Toast and I used to dip french fries in my chocolate shakes. Mom always loved grilled peanut butter and banana sammies.

jerseyangel Proficient

Mmmm I can't do peanuts anymore but I loved peanut butter and banana sammies on toast.

IrishHeart Veteran

Peanut butter and banana is awesome!

I come from a family that puts ketchup on eggs, too.

Peanut butter and bacon on an English muffin

(dipped in the ketchupy egg yolk) used to be a family favorite.

(Good lawd, my gut seized up just typing that one. :lol: )

My brother put ketchup on EVERYTHING, even mashed potatoes.

alex11602 Collaborator

Peanut butter and banana is awesome!

I come from a family that puts ketchup on eggs too.

Peanut butter and banana or peanut butter and honey= yum!

I thought everyone put ketchup on eggs, I'm just unusual I guess :)

IrishHeart Veteran

Ooh, I just remembered another one. I put some grainy mustard and a dash of horseradish in my egg salad.

de-lish.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I don't have any odd combos myself but this subject brought back memories. My Dad after a few drinks would come home and make himself fried potatoes and eggs. That was okay but when he added in the ketchup and topped it with peanut butter my Mom would have to go out to the porch. She said if she didn't just the smell would make her puke. I would watch him eat this but was never ever tempted to take a taste.

bartfull Rising Star

I normally like my eggs with the yolk runny, but every once in a while I will cook one hard, sprinkle it with powdered oregano, then have it on toast with mayonaise. Honestly, it's good.

beachbirdie Contributor

I also thought everyone put ketchup on their eggs. I can't conceive of any other way to eat them! (Well, maybe with cheese, but that's more accepted.)

My family thinks I'm crazy because i like mayonnaise on my avocados.

:ph34r:

~**caselynn**~ Enthusiast

Chocolate rice cakes, a spreas of peanut butter, and slices of banana to cover. To die for, lol to me anyway!

love2travel Mentor

Most of these make sense from a culinary standpoint. To me bacon on ice cream is a natural fit. Same with bacon and chocolate. Bacon jam is awesome. A combination I LOVE is rosemary, chocolate and blue cheese sauce on venison. Another I love is ancho chile with chocolate. Strawberries and balsamic are glorious - some may find that unusual but I don't. Garlic ice cream. Grape jelly on burgers. Vanilla beans and pork. I don't think that any combination would surprise me except those that would not make culinary sense such as those items used together on "Chopped". Those are intriguing like maybe geoduck, okra and Oreos or Fruit Loops, burrata and duck. Or those horrid jello and cottage cheese salads with raisins, carrots and marshmallows. Shudder.

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

I ate Ketchup Sanwiches too!!

Wonder bread and ketchup...wow...memories!

I hate Ketchup now.

My Dad ate Onion and Mayonnaise sandwiches and called then wedding sandwiches probably because they were white.

I used to love love love Date Pinwheel cookies. But now that I can't have gluten, I make slices of toast and use Real Butter, and then slice Medjool Dates in half and lay them on the toast and it kinda tastes like my favorite Date Pinwheels. Well...sorta...

Lately I have been craving fat and since I was testing dairy and seemed to be tolerating it well...I made some chocolate milk with Hershey's Syrup and Half-n-Half! Yup! Half-n-Half!!!! It was so good that I started doing it every evening. Now though, I'm starting to see the results of this indulgence...so I'm tapering off. :)

Sunflower seeds on cottage cheese was my fav...for ages.

Honey on banana's- I know, I know...double sweet. I'm going to try the salt on bananas. But even better than that is Nutella on Banana's. Nutella on toast... Nutella on potato chips!

I like to sprinkle Hershey's cocoa powder on ice cream...it is lovely. I like the bittersweetness a whole lot.

My son used to put whipped cream on hot dogs. I know...gross...

Well, that is all I can think of that we do weird...

I'm going to try some of the above combinations....but not any of the ones involving Ketchup! :blink: :blink:

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

When I was a kid I'd make tuna fish salad and make a sandwich and put jelly on it. Made my mother cringe...

I think the kid who put whip cream on his hot dog wins though. The other combos don't seem wierd to me. Who doesn't love peanut butter banana sammiches?

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

When I was a kid I'd make tuna fish salad and make a sandwich and put jelly on it. Made my mother cringe...

I think the kid who put whip cream on his hot dog wins though. The other combos don't seem wierd to me. Who doesn't love peanut butter banana sammiches?

:lol: :lol: :lol: I gotta tell my son, he won! He will be so pleased. I offered to buy him a can of whipped cream the last time we got hot dogs...he says it isn't the same now that he is gluten free! Maybe it was a Celiac symptom after all? But still...it's always nice to win...so I'm telling him you said he wins! Thank you for the laugh!

IrishHeart Veteran

I also liked potato chips inside my tuna salad sammies.

I just remembered a childhood friend who put grape jelly inside her

grilled cheese sammies.

I thought that awful, until I tasted it. :)

When fried mozzarella sticks with raspberry dipping sauce became the rage in places like Fridays many years ago, she said to me "sonuva....! someone stole my idea!".

IrishHeart Veteran

My son used to put whipped cream on hot dogs. I know...gross...

Meatie,

OMG! so funny.

Tell your son, T. that all I can think of is the 3 Stooges when they ate baloney sandwiches with whipped cream.

My brother made us try that once.

( and yes, I watched those idiots when I was kid :lol: )

and still do occasionally as an adult.

Who doesn't love a good slap fest?

lpellegr Collaborator

We always scooped up ice cream with pretzels, and my mom salted her watermelon. Cottage cheese with apple butter is familiar to those in the PA dutch regions. I used to really like to put hot mashed potatoes on a slice of heavily buttered rye bread (pre-celiac, alas).

sora Community Regular

Salt on melons here too and ketchup on eggs.

My son always ate mustard sandwiches when he was younger. White bread and French's mustard.

Almost forgot, raw onion and mayo sandwiches here too, sometimes with a big fat slice of spam. (ack)

My father got me onto that.

Archived