This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hot Enough For You?

Darn210

bartfull Rising Star

There is even a shortage of HAY here in South Dakota. A lot of ranchers are selling their herds because there is nothing to feed them.

Speaking of cattle, have you ever noticed how the young calves run and bounce around with their tails straight out, and they seem so happy? That's because they are born in the spring when the weather is nice. Then comes summer and this unbearable heat, not to mention the hailstorms. And of course in winter there is the terrible snow with winds so strong it blows the snow up their noses and often they suffocate.

That is why grown cattle no longer scamper around. They just stand there like, well like cows, thinking, "This is NOT what was promised!"

Supposed to get up to 110 for the next couple of days here. We don't have the humidity some of you folks get, but at 110, even dry is uncomfortable.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kareng Grand Master

its not supposed to be over 100 in S Dakota!

mushroom Proficient

No, it's North Dakota that has that rule - South can have whatever it wants to. Besides, the rules have all changed :P

bartfull Rising Star

Well change them back!! :lol:

Actually, during the (last) drought years I remember a day in 2007 when it got up to 116! That was the year when my precious little town almost burned to the ground. :(

jerseyangel Proficient

102 here in South Jersey this afternoon. Humidity about as high.....

mushroom Proficient

102 here in South Jersey this afternoon. Humidity about as high.....

Are you glowing, perspiring, or just plain sweating??? :rolleyes:

jerseyangel Proficient

Flat out sweating, Shroom. We lost power for a while and the house got hot. Thankfully it's back on now and cooling down :)

Was just thinking how growing up we didn't have air conditioning and did just fine.....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

OK, if they can change the rules on how hot it gets, they can change the rules about "glowing". So in a spirit of fairness, I now pronounce it legal for all of us ladies to sweat our tails off!!

jerseyangel Proficient

I agree bartfull:)

IrishHeart Veteran

Was just thinking how growing up we didn't have air conditioning and did just fine.....

Same here, Patti. Growing up in Boston.

No AC. Never heard of it.

We were lucky to have fans. :lol: which only "pushed" the hot air around.

Rode the subway at an early age and went to the beach to "cool off". Or ...the firemen opened the hydrants.

"hot town, summer in the city......."

I know that you know that song.

Jestgar Rising Star

68 here.

... I got a couch........

kareng Grand Master

It's 10:45 pm and 90 degrees!

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Big fat storms rolled through here, dumped buckets in one hour, rolled out and left it cooler. Whew! Our landscaping on the house was finally getting done and I was WORRIED about those guys!

Razzle Dazzle Brazell Enthusiast

I live around Chattanooga, TN and although recently we have finally been getting consistent rain, it is still mid nineties and humid! To me it is worse to breathe that steamy air than dry air. Suffocation! Ahhh!

Good news is, the onion grass in the back yard is already boiled and ready to eat ;)

Darn210 Enthusiast

Just got a down poor . . . not near enough to solve our drought issues . . . but you should have seen us all run to the windows like we've never seen rain before.

What IS this wet stuff falling from the sky?

Jestgar Rising Star

Just got a down poor . . . not near enough to solve our drought issues . . . but you should have seen us all run to the windows like we've never seen rain before.

What IS this wet stuff falling from the sky?

*snort*

That's our northwest response to sunlight.

jerseyangel Proficient

"hot town, summer in the city......."

I know that you know that song.

Yep, old enough to remember the hot a/c-less summers and the song :lol:

... I got a couch........

A Big Comfy Couch? :P

....probably dating myself again..... :unsure:

IrishHeart Veteran

*snort*

That's our northwest response to sunlight.

:lol: :lol:

um, :unsure: how BIG is that couch? You'll have dozens of people from 20 or so different HOT states coming in soon.......

IrishHeart Veteran

Yep, old enough to remember the hot a/c-less summers and the song :lol:

ah, but we are not old, P---we're "prime". ;)

(truth be told, I still do not like a/c much)

The windows are wide open today.

After being oppressive for 3 days, it is actually nice today--82 degrees and perfect.

The grass, however, is nearly hopeless.

jerseyangel Proficient

The windows are wide open today.

Now that sounds nice! Hoping to be able to open ours if this humidity lifts.

bartfull Rising Star

How hot is it? Hot enough that we are under "pre-evacuation notice". There is a huge fire six miles north of town and the wind is blowing south. We haven't been told to leave yet but they have told us to be packed and ready to go at a moment's notice. Got to go home and grab the cat and a few guitars and my "go bag". Then I'm coming back here to the shop where my computer is so I can keep up with the latest news. If you don't hear from me for a while it's because I had to leave.

We have the greatest firefighters and police so please don't worry about me. I know they will get us out of here before there is any danger. I guess I should take some food too because I won't be able to eat whatever they offer us at the college south of here, which is where they will probably tell us to go. But somehow that is the least of my worries right now.

Life is never boring when you live in the west I guess...

Jestgar Rising Star

Run Barty!!

Lisa Mentor

Wow! Fires must be terrifying. Be safe.

Darn210 Enthusiast

Wow . . . take care, Bartfull. Hope the fire is put out ASAP.

Makes me have to think about what I would take. It wouldn't hurt to actually have that kind of plan . . . you don't usually get a whole lot of time to think about it.

kareng Grand Master

Pack well Barty!

My favorite neighbor,age 8, came over with her little fluffy dog. (Hub made a gate in the back fence). Our dogs were playing and we were hiding from the skeeters on my screened porch. We were remarking that it was odd that 90 felt nice.

Archived