This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hot Enough For You?

Darn210

IrishHeart Veteran

If you don't hear from me for a while it's because I had to leave.

We have the greatest firefighters and police so please don't worry about me.

We'll probably still worry, :unsure: but please be safe!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bartfull Rising Star

Still here for now. A lot of my friends a couple of miles from here have already been evacuated, but that's because they live in places that only have one road out. Some of the people in the old folks homes have been evacuated too. We had thunderstorms last night and the rain helped some, but they are still worried about this fire growing again today, plus there are a lot of new fires springing up because of the lightning. There is a new one on Battle Mountain, right behind my shop. I mean NEW - they just now spotted it and are on the way to fight it before it gets too big. The problem is there are so many fires that the firefighters are stretched pretty thin.

I'm going to leave everything packed and ready to go until things cool off in the fall. Long term forecast is for abnormally hot and dry conditions right through September. Having grown up in New England, I'm just not used to this. It's worth it to live here in paradise, but my, what a difference. Here we worry about fires and mountain lions and rattlesnakes. There it was traffic and crazy people and the high crime rate. When you come right down to it, I'd rather take my chances with the fires and the critters.

I'll let you know what happens...

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Wow . . . take care, Bartfull. Hope the fire is put out ASAP.

Makes me have to think about what I would take. It wouldn't hurt to actually have that kind of plan . . . you don't usually get a whole lot of time to think about it.

It might seem overly paranoid, but it IS good to have these kinds of plans and go-bags. Especially with non-perishable foods. Have meeting places with family members.

Having a plan for escaping the house in the event of a fire allowed my boyfriend to safely escape the house.... during a fire! And if I'd had a go-bag in my car, I wouldn't have been left without food, underwear, and a toothbrush....

Darn210 Enthusiast

I'll let you know what happens...

I haven't noticed any disruption in posting so I'm guessing you didn't have to evacuate . . . although, I'm also not the most observant so maybe you haven't posted in a week ;)

Sooooooo? . . . How's it goin'? :huh:

We've got a bit of rain going right now . . . it's lovely . . . you've never seen so many happy people in Target listening to the rain pooring down knowing they would be making mad dashes for their cars. :D

bartfull Rising Star

Sorry. I know I promised I'd keep you informed. The Myrtle fire is now 100% contained. All of my friends who had been evacuated are back home. The Falls fire which started a few days ago six miles SOUTH of town is well under control now too. We have had thunderstorms with LOTS of rain almost every night.

I'm still going to keep things packed and by the door because they are predicting hot and dry well into September, but for now the danger has passed.

Supposed to get severe thunderstorms tonight too. I hope it rains like crazy. :)

Adalaide Mentor

Always an adventure in the summer isn't it Bart? Practically glued to the news stations waiting to hear about the newest fire, where it is, if you're going to be evacuating this time. I have the most adorable paisley print go bag. So obnoxious that people like us have to actually pack literally all of our food. I mean, we'd have people TRY to feed us at an emergency shelter but that just ain't gonna happen.

Good luck with that rain. Hopefully you'll get plenty of water and not much in the way of electricity. We've been getting hella humidity here and a little drizzle, but only enough to make things muggy and miserable. It's the dessert! It's supposed to be arid and dry, what's with this breathing soup thing? I left that crap back in PA.

mohammed88 Newbie

In my city "Jeddah" every day at least be 40c & 80% of humidity.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sora Community Regular

Oh! Just checked the weather for tomorrow and it is going to be 113!! :o

This is Canada, it's supposed to be cold.

Jestgar Rising Star

NWS has issued a heat advisory here:

temperatures will climb to the upper 80's to mid 90's at many places today.

seriously

:unsure:

bartfull Rising Star

It got down to 50 last night and it rained! High of 81 today!! Low of 50 again tonight.

And by tomorrow it's supposed to go back up to 95. :angry:

~**caselynn**~ Enthusiast

Holy old heat wave!?! What is this?? It's 100 in the sunshine here in Maine....NOT COOL, and I mean that in more ways than 1!! Haha ? good thing my friends came up from the coast and brought us lobstahs, cause its outdoor cooking tonight!!???

purple Community Regular

Last night it was 52 and today 98. Plus we have lots of smoke from the fire that started Sunday night. The fire is 5 miles down the road and you can see the smoke rising off the mountain. Theres 200 fighters, 3 helicopters and planes. Right now its about 800 acres and supposed to grow to 1200. They think they can get it contained. The river is near so the copters are filling up. Trees fell on the power lines but our power is on. Warning issued to possible evacuation from 18 homes but so far so good.

Darn210 Enthusiast

Hope they get that fire out quick, Purple.

We've got those programmable highway signs around here . . . the ones that usually tell you about accidents up ahead so you can detour around it. They all warn people not to through lit tobacco products out their car windows.

bartfull Rising Star

Purple, I know just what you're going through. It's really scary. Just keep your go-bag by the door, load up anything that the heat from the car won't hurt, and pray alot. We've still got to get through August and September yet, and there's no rain in sight. Keep us updated if you can, and good luck!

purple Community Regular

Purple, I know just what you're going through. It's really scary. Just keep your go-bag by the door, load up anything that the heat from the car won't hurt, and pray alot. We've still got to get through August and September yet, and there's no rain in sight. Keep us updated if you can, and good luck!

Thanks!

The fire grew to 2000 acres. No guess now as to when it will be contained. It seems to be moving in the opposite direction of us. I can hear the choppers over head, our tiny dirt airport is down the road from us and they cross above often. The fire closed the state highway due to falling rocks off the mountain and the fire got to the road. We have several routes to take if it comes into our area. No rain in site here either. I have to get out on Friday so I hope the roads will be opened. Our power was off for at least 2 hours, I'm so thankful it's back on!

bartfull Rising Star

I'm not sure if you knew about this, but there is a website, inciweb.org, where you can get the latest updates. That is the site one of our firefighters told me to go to. The local newspaper here is useless so that's where I get my info.

Archived