2 replies to this topic

#1 kirst4588

kirst4588

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 07:26 AM

I just found out that my 1 1/2 yr old has celiac - it was triggered by the noro virus and detected by bloodtest. he has done remarkable in a few weeks on the gluten-free diet (behavoir and health) and now i'm thinking the rest of us should get tested - as the more research i do, the more it seems that BOTH sides of the family (mine and my husband) probably have it - i have joined a support group; have been reading my brains off and the frusterating thing is the skeptical responses from family members. they are closedminded and old-school and are sure that my son will grow out of it or that their gi issues (thyroid, constipa :angry: tions etc) are not related - :-\ i'm so frusterated with them - i'm sure none of them will get tested and even if they did and it was positive, they'd be too lazy or ignorant to comply to the gluten-free diet

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 MLO

MLO

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 07:03 PM

I know exactly what you are going through as far as "family members". I have came to the "fact" that you can only do so much. My daughter was only diagnosied a month a go. So "I am no expert". I did have my 4 year old tested and she came back negative so far. My husband and I are still waiting for our results. This might seem funny, but I really don't care if my husband and I come back positive or not. I have a family that consists of many kids and I worry about their health. Of course, if I came back positive or my husband we would make changes, but I worry more about the children. I do believe in my heart that after my research on this disease that I probably have the disease or the am the carrier but try to "make your family believe". My biggest problem with Celiac Disease is that everyone thinks thats crazy. I also believe that know one whats to be LABELED as having a problem.
Good luck.

#3 SadiesMomma

SadiesMomma

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 07:50 AM

You cant run everyones life, people at some times have to made decisions for themselves... You cant make everything perfect so dont try to. it'll just stress you out more than you need.

having a child with celiac disease is stressful, and scarey! ...and to think that others may also have it is scarey as well. All the what-ifs. Get yourself tested and get whoever tested to get tested. One of these days the celiac disease will act up and they'll wish they had and they'll get it done then and realize that they should have. But thats that. Just try to stay focused with your little baby and whoever has been diagnosed with celiac disease.

Exactly what MLO said...

No one wants to be labled

. Celiac disease is an answer that many of us have been searching for for years upon years. It may not be sprinkling us with glitter and fairy dust but at least we can get soem alswers. If your family isnt realy or prepared for that then dont push them. Odds are if theyd didnt want to get tested they wouldnt go on the gluten-free diet because they wouldnt realize the importance.

Just stick to whats already on your plate and be there for your celiac disease child.
Good luck on the testing. Hope all turns out well for you and your family!!
~*HEATHER*~
Living gluten-free, Egg, Dairy, Nut, Soy, and Corn Free since Winter/Spring 2003

Fathers be good to your daughters,
Daughters will love like you do,
Girls become lovers who turn in Mothers,
So mothers be good to your daughters too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: