1 reply to this topic

#1 Maryw88

Maryw88

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:49 PM

Help! I do not know what to do and I would love to get some of your experience here.

I have been trying to get a clear diagnosis of Celiac but I have been told that the only way to get a diagnosis is to reintroduce gluten for 2 months. My question is, is it worth it to get a clear diagnosis?

I went gluten free before I knew what celiac was in the hopes of feeling better and have been living this way for two years. I have had most of my symptoms clear up but I wanted to get diagnosed so that I could get better follow-up care. I also wanted to figure out if my family needed to get tested.

Symptoms include: excessive gas, sharp, churning stomach pain. Alternating constipation and diarrhea. Numbness in the extremities. Migraines. Irritability.

Food intolerances to gluten, soy, dairy, tomatoes, citrus fruit, coffee, peanut butter, coke, artificial sweetner.

I am not getting much direction from my doctors and I am extremely frustrated. Should I push for a diagnosis? Any advice would be great.

Thanks!

Mary

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:02 PM

I didn't get a diagnosis. Gluten makes me too sick and my Dr. says that it's hard to get a positive blood test. Life is too short to waste two months with major depression, canker sores, GI trouble and all my other gluten symptoms. With the numbness you are even risking making the neuro damage worse. I'm not finding any lack of followup care as far as handling my celiac (or gluten intolerance).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: