Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Gluten Intolerance And Keratosis Pilaris (Skin Condition)

• Please log in to reply

9 replies to this topic

#1 Rain87

Rain87

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:55 AM

I have been following a gluten free diet for 2 weeks in the hope that it will help with severe keratosis pilaris (permanent red bumpy rash) on my arms and legs. I have not been tested, but am getting desperate, as the KP is spreading, so decided to try this.

So far there has not been much change in the KP, but I have noticed a positive change in the stomach problems I have had for a long time, so remain hopeful.

I would be so grateful for any help or advice from anyone relating to this. How long did it take before you saw an improvement in your skin? Did it get worse before it got better? Sometimes the bumps look a little better, but they always come back and my skin can still look very red and angry.

I would love to hear any personal experience with this. Please help!!

Many thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 deb445

deb445

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:56 AM

I have been following a gluten free diet for 2 weeks in the hope that it will help with severe keratosis pilaris (permanent red bumpy rash) on my arms and legs. I have not been tested, but am getting desperate, as the KP is spreading, so decided to try this.

So far there has not been much change in the KP, but I have noticed a positive change in the stomach problems I have had for a long time, so remain hopeful.

I would be so grateful for any help or advice from anyone relating to this. How long did it take before you saw an improvement in your skin? Did it get worse before it got better? Sometimes the bumps look a little better, but they always come back and my skin can still look very red and angry.

I would love to hear any personal experience with this. Please help!!

Many thanks.

I'm not sure I'm familiar with your rash - I haven't looked up this particular kind, but I get red bumps on my arms when I have eggs a couple of days in a row. It takes about a week for them to clear. I use homeopathic calendula and arnica gel on it to assist healing and reduce inflammation.
I'm glad to hear that your stomach problems are easing - who knows what else you'll be able to connect to gluten after being off it for a while. Sounds like you're on a healing journey. Congrats!

Gluten free for 5 years. Dairy free for years, but now OK with grassfed dairy.

Grain free for 2 years and now pain free.

A dedicated kitchen, a new passion for whole foods, Paleo inspiration

BLACK SEED and MSM has made a world of difference.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, but about learning to dance in the rain..." ~unknown

#3 ciamarie

ciamarie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:36 AM

I don't know if my rash was the same thing or not because I never had it diagnosed. But I had a rash / red bumps on the back of both arms for as long as I can remember (at least 30 years I think). It never really spread, and I also have had DH break outs a few times over the years.

At any rate, the rash on the back of my arms cleared up after about 3 months of eating gluten-free. Are you taking probiotics? I think those can be helpful with skin issues, and in general. Otherwise, if you're strictly gluten-free, then it's possible there's something else in your diet that's causing some issues. ?
Gluten-free since the end of October 2011

#4 1974girl

1974girl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:40 PM

My 2 kids both have this on their cheeks. One since birth. I thought it was baby acne that never went away but the doc said it was KP. She is now 9 and had it constantly. I never associated it with gluten. HUM....... Very interesting. My celiac child's KP is much better now after 6 months but it is also summer and it seems to disappear anyway in the summer. I will be anxious to read other reponses!

#5 MitziG

MitziG

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:26 PM

KP is very strongly connected to casein intolerance, moreso than gluten. Both kids and my hubby have it, have been gluten-free for over a year. No change in the KP until we cut out ALL milk protein. Now they have smooth armms and legs!

#6 Rain87

Rain87

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:45 AM

KP is very strongly connected to casein intolerance, moreso than gluten. Both kids and my hubby have it, have been gluten-free for over a year. No change in the KP until we cut out ALL milk protein. Now they have smooth armms and legs!

Thanks so much for the advice. How long after they cut out the milk protein did you see results? Did it get worse before it got better? I had cut down on all dairy a lot, but after reading your post, I have cut it out completely.I would try anything to be rid of this.

I am continuing with the gluten free diet, as it is helping with stomach problems, and I'm starting to feel like I have more energy, which is great.

Thanks again.

#7 Rain87

Rain87

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:51 AM

Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond. It's very much appreciated.

No change in the KP yet, but my stomach still feeling better than it was, so still hoping that a few months down the line there will be some improvement. Fingers crossed!

If anyone else has been through this, it would be great to hear your experience. Thanks.

#8 MitziG

MitziG

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:35 PM

It was about 6 wks before there was a noticeable difference I think. Been about 3 months now and they have very few bumps left at all. The KP didn't get worse at all, but my daughter's eczema flared up really bad when she quit dairy, so it is certainly possible that your kp could worsen a bit at first.

#9 GlutenFreeAustinite

GlutenFreeAustinite

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:56 PM

This is interesting. My little sister has KP, I'll see if she'd try dairy free.

#10 auzzi

auzzi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:44 AM

DD is gluten-free and DF - neither affects her Keratosis pilaris ..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: