#1 GfreeMe

GfreeMe

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:31 AM

Hi guys,

So I've been 'in recovery' for about 2 years and I feel great. My only problem is that if I get less than 9 hours of sleep I am really tired the next day.

Is this normal or am I having celiac related issues that I should do something about?

Thanks so much!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 SmnthMllrX

SmnthMllrX

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:21 PM

I have been gluten-free for about four years and when I get sick from gluten I seem to never be able to get enough sleep no matter how long I sleep. I also sleep more fitfully when I'm sick like talking in my sleep and tossing and turning. It also makes my limbs and muscles hurt which cause me not to sleep very well even though I sleep for a long time.
But when I'm not sick I sleep perfectly fine, so maybe if your eating gluten-free and not getting sick from cross contamination then perhaps your sleep issues are from something other than celiac. Do you sleep alone? Is someone else causing you not to sleep well? Something in your life stressing you out?

#3 veronika

veronika

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:02 PM

Have you had your vitamin levels checked recently? I know that deficiencies in vitamin d or iron can cause sleep disorders/disturbances. Vitamin D is involved in the secretion of melatonin, so if you are deficient, your sleep can definitely be impacted. Low iron can also cause restless legs/periodic limb movements so this can also make you have not so restful sleep even if you are 'sleeping' for 8-9 hours. That and low iron levels generally make you more tired regardless of how much sleep you are getting.
chronic fatigue, overall body pain, brain fog, headaches since August 2006
chronic nausea since July, 2011

gluten, casein, soy free since April 19, 2012
potato, corn, oat intolerant

#4 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:53 PM

I agree with both of the answers above.
I'm 2 years clean..well...almost..and sleep was a huge issue in the beginning. Since it has been 2 years be sure your vitamin levels are normal and be sure you aren't getting cross contamination.

Other food intolerances can cause sleep disturbances/fatigue too. Salicylates, corn, dairy, nightshades, lectins, they all seem to have an effect (only if you have a sensitivity to them of course) on the neurological system and can cause headache or sleep disturbances. You might consider eliminating and testing to find your culprit.

Having said that, some people require more sleep than others. This 9 hours might be your normal requirement.
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: