6 replies to this topic

#1 DogWalkerNYC

DogWalkerNYC

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:06 PM

I read that fresh fruit was OK on a gluten-free diet, but recently broke out in hives after eating some organic strawberries. After researching strawberries and hives I learned that strawberries are grown in straw and straw is made from wheat, barley oats or rye, none of which is acceptable on a gluten-free diet. Why isn't this mentioned on the gluten-free sites that recommend fresh fruit? Thanks, A very frustrated gluten-intolerant
Laura Grace

65 years old. Diagnosed with GERD at age 63. Started feeling bloated after eating bread & rolls in 2012. After doing online research ate gluten-free for a week & symptoms resolved. Symptoms returned when I glutened. That's good enough for me. Because testing is often inconclusive will not get tested. In 2012 had colonoscopy and endoscopy which showed no damage to the villi. In February, 2013 had capsule endoscopy which showed no damage to the villi or intestines. Diagnosed by gastroenterologist with 'probable non-Celiac sensitivity. Time to get serious before damage occurs.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,049 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:13 PM

It isn't mentioned because it has no basis in truth.

You are eating the fruit, not the soil in which it was grown.

Even if it was possible for the plant to absorb protein from soil directly into the fruit, there would be almost no gluten in straw. It is the stems after the grain (which is the gluten source) has been thrashed out.

Fresh fruits and vegetables are gluten-free.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 DogWalkerNYC

DogWalkerNYC

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:36 PM

Thanks Peter, then I seem to be allergic to strawberries in addition to being gluten intolerant. Oh happy day!!
Laura Grace

65 years old. Diagnosed with GERD at age 63. Started feeling bloated after eating bread & rolls in 2012. After doing online research ate gluten-free for a week & symptoms resolved. Symptoms returned when I glutened. That's good enough for me. Because testing is often inconclusive will not get tested. In 2012 had colonoscopy and endoscopy which showed no damage to the villi. In February, 2013 had capsule endoscopy which showed no damage to the villi or intestines. Diagnosed by gastroenterologist with 'probable non-Celiac sensitivity. Time to get serious before damage occurs.

#4 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,145 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:47 AM

Breaking out in hives sounds like an allergic reaction. I know a couple of people allergic to strawberries and they get hives from them.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:52 AM

Strawberry allergy is not uncommon at all. My brother used to get hives from strawberries. Fortunately he outgrew it.

#6 DogWalkerNYC

DogWalkerNYC

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:48 AM

Thank you all. I guess my confusion was that I read that even insignificant amounts of gluten from the product itself or cross-contamination, was harmful and should be avoided. This is all so new that I feel that every negative reaction I'm having to food is related to falling off the gluten free wagon. As a test (and also, truthfully, not wanting to throw the other box of organic strawberries in the trash) I ate more of them yesterday and had no reaction. The hives stayed the same and did not get worse. I am now completely and totally confused, and so grateful for this forum.
Laura Grace

#7 MissErin

MissErin

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:47 PM

Just want to revisit this thread: The reason people 'think' that they are allergic to strawberries is because strawberries are one of a few fruits that have naturally higher levels of histamine. This does not necessarily mean that you are allergic to them, but it could point to a histamine sensitivity. If you suffer from chronic urticaria, it might be helpful to reduce your intake of high histamine producing foods. Below are a couple links for further information:

http://histame.com/h...oods-substances

http://www.allergyuk...ine-intolerance

http://www.ehow.com/...mine-foods.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: