8 replies to this topic

#1 fantasticalice

fantasticalice

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:56 AM

I have been experimenting with nuts. I am sure you all know you can make cookies with peanut butter, eggs and sugar. I started there and then started cutting the sugar. So far, I have a winner, with many different variations! I have found you can use any nut butter, which you can make yourself but it's so easy to get a jar of "natural" peanut butter, add a couple of eggs and some raw sugar, it's endless what you can do with this. Leave out the sugar and you have crackers. Add some cheese, oh my!

1 cup nut butter
1/4 cup raw sugar
1 egg

350 oven for 10-15 minutes I make small, round balls, size of a large marble, then flatten

Um....that's it! Now, add ground flax, chia and hemp seed. I grind it individually, hemp seed turns to butter in 3-4 pluses, you want meal, not butter. Same with flax and chia. If you grind it too long you will have butter. If you take the time to google the ingredients, you will see what wonderful nutrition this is. Pure protein and the most omega 3s you can get from a food! Here's a link for the hemp...http://www.ratical.org/renewables/hempseed1.html

Your children will thank you for this!

I have made these with almonds, hazelnuts, macadamias, It's all very oily, DON'T let that scare you. It will bake up so crunchy and nice! You can add some flour, it's not necessary, for the mix to come together. We eat Bob's gluten-free oats, last batch I added a 1/4 cup to sop up the oil. Geeze, these are too good to be true!

One last thing, you can sub any kind of sweetener. Start with a little, you can always add more. There are so many different ones!
Alice in Gluten-Free Wonderland

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Newbee

Newbee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:05 AM

Thanks! You mentioned that you can make nut butter. I'm interested in trying that as well. What do you need to do?

#3 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,115 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:32 AM

Thanks! You mentioned that you can make nut butter. I'm interested in trying that as well. What do you need to do?

Sorry. I was enthusiastically scrolling on my touch screen and hit the minus. Would someone" plus" her back to neutral? :(

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:34 AM

Sorry. I was enthusiastically scrolling on my touch screen and hit the minus. Would someone" plus" her back to neutral? :(

Done! Posted Image
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#5 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,115 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:37 AM

I usually make this version but it is very sugary.

http://abcnews.go.co...cipe?id=8714020

When you make them into crackers, do you roll them out flat? When you add cheese, do you need less nut butter? The hemp or chia - I've never used them. Is that the only "butter" in the crackers? Would that be the one to add cheese?

My mom is not eating well and needs to snack on high fat things. The less sugar the better. I am wondering if I could get her to eat almond or PB as a cracker? It's a bit like trying to sneak stuff past a 4 year old. She refuses to eat what the dietician told her so we are sneaking calories in.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:50 AM

Thanks for sharing. This looks tasty!

#7 Kelleybean

Kelleybean

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:30 PM

I've been making the breakfast bread from Elana's pantry ... has an almond butter base, no flour. My son loves it! I'm going to have to try yours!

#8 Kelleybean

Kelleybean

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:31 PM

Funny this should come up ... I happened to make almond butter tonight. I did this one: http://heathereatsal...de-nut-butter/. I did add a little over 1/2 tbs of coconut oil but I suspect it would have been fine without. Came out great and it was really easy!

#9 fantasticalice

fantasticalice

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:36 PM

Sorry it took so long to come back. I bought this niffy thing called a Nutribullet and it has changed my life in two weeks! I urge everyone to read up on hemp, chia and flax! Sure, use a coffee grinder, I know it will work. I like to grind each one separately, I can get a really fine grind of flax, which seems to be assimilated better! Chia is a funny seed, did you read the latest? It has more antioxidants than blueberries! Then there's the hemp, it's really nutrient packed in exactly the right formula. Believe it or not, this would of been the 1st food I would of given my kids, given the chance. The combo can change disease, period. Add almond or peanut butter, not flour and you have a winner. You can make any kind of nut butter. When you do it like this no need for OIL. Seems to me oil is the biggest bug-a-bo? If I stay away from man-made oil I seem to feel better. EVOO is ok, a little bit. I bake cakes with it.

You can mix this up any way you want with any kind of nut. I had a batch that was dripping with oil, I thought it was a goner but I baked up a few anyway. You don't have to add sugar, it's the egg that keeps it together. If all that oil bothers you visually add some kind of whole grain flour such as teff or millet or amaranth. There are a few I like. A combo of them all is good.

For me, I've discovered that I really like the crunch and I don't want it to taste like rice. I really am tired of rice, they use it for everything. At least they don't "mess" with rice the way they do with corn and soy.

Here's my #1 advice. Make them just the way it says, one time and go from there.

1 cup peanut butter (crunchy is fun)
1/4 cup raw sugar (it really is better for baking!)powdered maple sugar? sucanat?
1 egg

350 for 10 minutes, in a hot oven

small, they are crunchy, larger will be softer, you could try a rolling pin but I think fingers are better
you can add up to 1/2 cup of any other thing, I haven't tried adding more but next time I am!
Alice in Gluten-Free Wonderland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: