4 replies to this topic

#1 Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:47 AM

I have posted this link in the Publicity and Publications forum but I just realised that it probably belongs in this forum. Sorry for the double posting.

This is an interesting video of a public lecture about the latest advances in coeliac disease research that was held in Melbourne Australia last month. Some of the world's leading experts on coeliac disease talk about their research.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 1974girl

1974girl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:20 AM

Believe it or not, I watched most of this! It was long but informative. I would love for the USA to get into research as much as Australia. The "vaccine" was so intriguing. I will dream of that day! They said they were about 6 years away from it going to market. You have to only have the DQ2 gene and my celiac child has DQ2 and DQ8 which would knock her out. But the majority of Americans have just the DQ2.

#3 Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:01 PM

Believe it or not, I watched most of this! It was long but informative. I would love for the USA to get into research as much as Australia. The "vaccine" was so intriguing. I will dream of that day! They said they were about 6 years away from it going to market. You have to only have the DQ2 gene and my celiac child has DQ2 and DQ8 which would knock her out. But the majority of Americans have just the DQ2.

I'm not sure about the gene thing. Genes come in pairs so nobody has just the HLA DQ2 gene (except for a few people who are double DQ2). The researchers are saying that the vaccine will benefit 90+% of celiacs so I think this means that you just have to have the DQ2 gene and it may not matter what the other gene is.

I am one of those rare celiacs who doesn't have either the DQ2 or DQ8 gene so I am not holding out a lot of hope that the vaccine will ever benefit me personally. It's still pretty exciting though!

#4 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:12 AM

Thanks for posting this. I'm about 2/3rds of the way through and I've heard some new stuff. Very interesting. Especially interesting is that they found that the understanding of what part of gluten we react to has been inaccurate.

#5 icm

icm

Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:34 PM

I think that one problem the researchers will have is that gluten affects more conditions besides celiac disease. Additionally, they give little mention of other gluten related disorders that do not include dq2 or dq8. But it is interesting. Does anyone here know when phase 2 begins?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: