This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Little Wins That Other People Don't Get

Adalaide

Adalaide Mentor

So I was in the kitchen this morning with my husband. He was microwaving his last breakfast sandwich (yay!) and I was getting my morning cottage cheese, flax and fruit. I looked at him and said I should have started eating flax a long time ago and he asked why. I was like, I've never pooped so much like a normal human being in my life. I said this with a huge smile on my face, genuinely excited. He looked at me as if I'd just been the victim of an alien abduction. :lol: I had to come here and share because at least you guys will get it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Hey, first time I went a whole week with normal poo I had a party. I get it!

RonSchon Explorer

I will look forward to that day. I was just diagnosed last week, after about 14 years of ever increasing symptoms. The toilet was a first warning sign for me. My wife (ex wife now, yes, it cost my marriage) would be so upset at how much time I spent in the bathroom.

Adalaide Mentor

It gets better Ron! My GI symptoms improved greatly over the 6ish months since my dx but it wasn't until I added the flax that have truly felt normal in that department.

I'm so sorry that it ruined your marriage. It's a real jerk-detector and the people who have relationships that have endured are truly lucky. I hope you find at least some symptoms resolve quickly for you.

sharilee Rookie

So I was in the kitchen this morning with my husband. He was microwaving his last breakfast sandwich (yay!) and I was getting my morning cottage cheese, flax and fruit. I looked at him and said I should have started eating flax a long time ago and he asked why. I was like, I've never pooped so much like a normal human being in my life. I said this with a huge smile on my face, genuinely excited. He looked at me as if I'd just been the victim of an alien abduction. :lol: I had to come here and share because at least you guys will get it.

The first time I had a normal bowel movement after being diagnosed with celiac I was so excited and even more excited when I went several days in a row without an attack. I wanted to throw a party.

sharilee Rookie

I will look forward to that day. I was just diagnosed last week, after about 14 years of ever increasing symptoms. The toilet was a first warning sign for me. My wife (ex wife now, yes, it cost my marriage) would be so upset at how much time I spent in the bathroom.

It does get better with time. I have been gluten free since late February and it took about three months for things to start to return to normal. I still have problems but not every day like I was, now I will go several days with no problems. I am sorry it cost you your marriage, any type of illness can put a strain on marriage.

KMMO320 Contributor

I went gluten-free for 3 weeks and during that time I felt like a real, normal human being. When I went to the bathroom it was normal, and I wasnt sitting there in agonizing pain with gut wrenching cramps like I am used to.

I would come out of the bathroom with tears in my eyes. It felt like the greatest accomplishment to have a normal movement.

I am now back on gluten because my dr said she did not see any reason to go gluten-free...needless to say, I am switching docs but that also means keepin gluten in my system for a few more weeks in case of further testing.

I miss those "normal" days. It is amazing how quickly the cramping comes back :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skittles Enthusiast

Ohh my God I can only imagine how you must feel! I have been gluten free for 2 months and am having a little bit better bowel movements but I cannot wait until I am actually regular, I told my friends we are having a big party! haha.. I haven't tried the flax yet though but I am going to get on it asap! :)

goblue2014 Newbie

7 months gluten free and I still don

IrishHeart Veteran

Well, I am doing the happy dance for you. :lol: I will, in fact, stand up and applaud you right now...hold on....(sounds of IH clapping wildly)

I know you were not super crazy about the ground flax seed idea, but we told ya it would do the trick! That stuff is full of fiber and omega 3's. It's a win-win.

And for what it is worth, I knew where every bathroom was within a 150 mile radius of my home. I have had D or C since I was a babe.

I have had to resort to a lined wastebasket and the side of the road in the great outdoors on occasion. Just peachy. :rolleyes:

When very ill from the celiac, I went and went and went and then... did not. For days. Pain? OY!

Until now. Between the flax, the probiotics and being gluten-free and healing from the celiac damage, I am right as rain for the first time in my entire life.

So, whoohoo and thank the universe for little victories (that are really pretty big indeed!) :)

Archived