22 replies to this topic

#16 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:29 AM

We just called Kraft because I've been sick for the past 3 days after eating Kraft cheese. My husband spoke to them and they told him it is NOT gluten free. They said IF the ingredients show 'Color' or 'flavor' or 'Spice it' could contain trace amounts of gluten because they get those ingredients from another source.

..and that would be a clear violation of the law.  If wheat is used in a product, by law, it must be listed on the ingredient listing or allergin statement.  Kraft had a great policy and lists all forms of gluten.  Perhaps, you contacted an uninformed customer relations representative.

http://www.kraftfood...dallergies.aspx

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 CommonTater

CommonTater

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:54 AM

The lady seemed to be very informed. Here is the phone number. 1-800-847-1997

She said IF the ingredients show 'Color' or 'flavor' or 'Spice it' could contain trace amounts of gluten because they get those ingredients from another source.

After many years of suffering from Late Stage Lyme Disease I became Gluten intolerant and I'm extremely sensitive.

#18 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:06 AM

Unless the rep has Celiac Disease, she is not informed.  I am extremely sensitive and use Kraft cheeses and have never reacted.  Ditto for many other Celiacs.  You cannot hide gluten in flavorings or anything else without disclosing  that and Kraft is a very gluten-free friendly company.  What she gave you was a CYA statement to cover their butts from a litigation point of view.  Everyone says this and it means nothing for the Celiac.....it just protects the company in case someone decides to sue them.

In any case, "color", "flavorings" and "spices", not spice blends, are safe for Celiacs 99.9% of the time.  That's another clue she wasn't informed or she would have known this.  These are celiac myths that just won't die.  Cheese can make anyone sick for many other reasons but there is no gluten in Kraft cheese.....shredded or otherwise.

#19 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:50 AM

We just called Kraft because I've been sick for the past 3 days after eating Kraft cheese. My husband spoke to them and they told him it is NOT gluten free. They said IF the ingredients show 'Color' or 'flavor' or 'Spice it' could contain trace amounts of gluten because they get those ingredients from another source.

In other words, they won't make a "gluten-free" claim for legal reasons. Frequently "not gluten-free" only means not tested to verify gluten-free status--not that gluten is actually present.

Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#20 Seeking2012

Seeking2012

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:28 AM

What specific product was it?

- Diagnosed Celiac in May 2014. Gluten-free diet immediately

- Tested VERY high for thyroid antibodies May 2014 but T4, T3 and TSH are in "normal" ranges

- Have experienced chronic fatigue and decreased cognitive and memory function for years

- Sister has been diagnosed with Celiac, autism, schizophrenia and depression

- Mom, dad and other sister are "weak positives" for Celiac
- Mom has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes

#21 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:40 AM

This is an old topic, and CommonTater has not been here in over a year.

Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#22 mynxr

mynxr

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 02:52 PM

Thanks so much, guys!

Oh and believe me- my mom and I LOVE Cabot. We have some of the Seriously Sharp white cheddar right now and it's sooooo good. I bought the Kraft pre shredded because it's better for salads. Not really taste wise but in texture. The Cabot is very moist and it tends to stay in one big clump when you put it in a salad while the Kraft doesn't really stick together at all. Plus when I shred up some of the Cabot to put into a salad it tends to disappear before it makes it into my bowl...strange haha. Anyway, thanks again for the help!

The reason the Kraft cheese shreds don't stick together is because of the potato starch.  The shreds are covered with the potato starch so they don't stick together.  You can use that same thing to keep raisins suspended in breads, etc.  Just coat them with potato or corn starch before putting them in the batter.  Then they grab onto the dough instead of being so heavy that they drop to the bottom.  I don't know if you can make this work with cheese that you shred yourself or not.  I'll have to do some experimenting.  I usually just dice the cheese up very fine and that works pretty well.

#23 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 04:07 PM

Oops. Wrong thread.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: