3 replies to this topic

#1 pennypal

pennypal

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:25 PM

Has anyone done research on the new modified starches. Modified Tapioca is the first I noticed. Udi's pizza crust has really gotten delicious but I couldn't stop eating it. Then I contacted then and they said they were using a product that was modified tapioca. I forgot name of product but I am concerned that they are modifiying our starches like the wheat was modified.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:52 PM

Has anyone done research on the new modified starches. Modified Tapioca is the first I noticed. Udi's pizza crust has really gotten delicious but I couldn't stop eating it. Then I contacted then and they said they were using a product that was modified tapioca. I forgot name of product but I am concerned that they are modifiying our starches like the wheat was modified.

http://glutenfreecoo.../p/expandex.htm

What is Modified Starch?:
A modified starch is a naturally occurring starch that is processed to change the molecule structure and characteristics of the original starch. Modified starches are used as thickeners, stabilizers and can improve the shelf-life, appearance, texture and taste of foods.

I would not be concerned. :) Genetically modified wheat is quite different than modified starch, if that was your question.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,049 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:21 PM

Companies are moving away from the vague ingredient, "modified food starch," to being specific. There is nothing new about the actual ingredient, just that the label now explicitly declares the source.

Effective August 4, 2012, it will not be allowed in Canada to use the term "modified food starch" unless the source is disclosed in parentheses immediately following the term. It is easier, and clearer, to say "modified tapioca starch" than to say "modified food starch (tapioca)."

For many years, in Canada and the US, if wheat was the source of modified food starch, that would have to be disclosed using the word "wheat" on the label.

The products, and their ingredients, have not changed. There are new rules and policies regarding how the ingredient is listed.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:12 AM

I dn't understand what the concern would be.

richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: