Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Testing Question

16 posts in this topic

Hi All -

Quick question...I got an EMA, TTG IGA, DGP IGG and IGA and Total IGA test last Monday (that all came back negative). Prior to that, I went gluten free for about 5/6 days. Would that cause a false negative?

Thanks

Ads by Google:

I don't think it would affect it that quickly but I'm not sure. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can comment.

I would guess that you really are negative for celiac, but that doesn't mean you aren't intolerant or sensitive to gluten.

Yes, it could certainly skew the tests. Sorry to tell you.

Why don't you post the test results anyway along with the reference ranges. It might give some clue. Or if your total IGA was off then you could be IGA deficient which could mean the rest of the tests will not show correctly.

And finally, like nvsmom says you could still be non celiac gluten intolerant. And that can make you very sick.

Yes, it could certainly skew the tests. Sorry to tell you.

Why don't you post the test results anyway along with the reference ranges. It might give some clue. Or if your total IGA was off then you could be IGA deficient which could mean the rest of the tests will not show correctly.

And finally, like nvsmom says you could still be non celiac gluten intolerant. And that can make you very sick.

Thanks for the reply! My results were as follows:

IGA, Serum - Negative (I was 280 and the ref range is 84 to 463)

TTG AB IGA - Negative (I was <3 and the ref range is <5)

EMA - Negative

Gliadin Deamidated (DGP) IGG - Negative (I was 3 and the ref range is <20)

Gliadin Deamidated (DGP) IGA - Negative (I was 4 and the ref range is <20)

I had a Gliadin IgG done two weeks prior to that test and it came back positive (but iga and ema were negative) and it was 84 (ref range of <20). But I don't know if that was a DGP or an AGA (that test was done by BioReference and the most recent test above was done by Quest).

Thanks!

Well, I'm no expert on interpreting the very fine points of the tests but others here are very good at spotting discrepancies. Keeping in mind that the 5-6 days gluten-free may have blown the test; it looks to me like it's negative. Now, there is a 20% false neg. rate (maybe a little more than that) anyway. But you could still have problems with gluten. Try the gluten-free diet & see if things improve for you. You have nothing to loose & everything to gain.

Well, I'm no expert on interpreting the very fine points of the tests but others here are very good at spotting discrepancies. Keeping in mind that the 5-6 days gluten-free may have blown the test; it looks to me like it's negative. Now, there is a 20% false neg. rate (maybe a little more than that) anyway. But you could still have problems with gluten. Try the gluten-free diet & see if things improve for you. You have nothing to loose & everything to gain.

Thanks for the advice! I don't have a negative reaction to gluten (I thought I was a "silent" celiac). So whether I'm on or off gluten really won't have any overt physical effects. I'm going to stay on a gluten containing diet for a few months and then get re-tested. I've done extensive research on the different types of tests and I'm assuming that I am gluten sensitive but not celiac (crossing my fingers). I've come to this conclusion because my initial IgG Test was positive but I believe that one to be a AGA IgG and not the more accurate, more celiac specific, DGP IgG test.

Sounds like a plan to me!smile.gif

Do you have low vitamin D or other issues like low iron etc? High liver numbers? A rash from gluten or Dermatitis herpetiformis, or neuro issues from gluten?

I notice your AGA was positive.

Do you have low vitamin D or other issues like low iron etc? High liver numbers? A rash from gluten or Dermatitis herpetiformis, or neuro issues from gluten?

Nora I love your question here...... lol I have ALL of the above.

Ok my 2 cents for what it is worth. I think since you had a positive result pre gluten free and negative afterward a gluten challenge is in order. I only say that because it sounds like you are one of the rare people who can actually withstand it without getting sick. IMHO

Roxie

none of the above except high liver but that came back down to normal very quickly (before i went off gluten for a few days).

Also, I've read that a positive AGA IGG could either be celiac or just gluten sensitivity (without the damage to your vili) while the DGP IGG test is celiac specific (which mine was negative).

those with neuro issues from gluten, have ttg-6 antibodies, DH have ttg-3 antibodies (but we do not get those tests)

Hadjivassiliou found that gluten ataxia patients often have antigliadin antibodies. Now when they often have phased out AGA testing, those with neuro issues and AGA will have the more specific tests for celiac in the gut, and miss celiac in the skin or the brain.....

those with neuro issues from gluten, have ttg-6 antibodies, DH have ttg-3 antibodies (but we do not get those tests)

Hadjivassiliou found that gluten ataxia patients often have antigliadin antibodies. Now when they often have phased out AGA testing, those with neuro issues and AGA will have the more specific tests for celiac in the gut, and miss celiac in the skin or the brain.....

Do you happen to know about Lichen Planus? I have been told that is an autoimmune gluten rash similar to DH but not exclusive to Celiac. Of course they have just begun research. That is the rash I have. Curious just because I love to learn about these things where do you find this information? What is ttg-3&6?

ttg-3 is tissue transglutaminase 3 for example.

The one for gut celiac is tissue transglutaminase 2.

I have not run across Lichen Planus.

But another thing related to gluten is HS, Hidradenitis Herpetiformis and doctors do not know about the connection.

So lots of things are gluten related, like sometimes pancreatitis and migraines

Also, I've read that a positive AGA IGG could either be celiac or just gluten sensitivity (without the damage to your vili) while the DGP IGG test is celiac specific (which mine was negative).

I've read the same, particularly with IgG rather than IgA in someone with normal IgA. I find it hard to imagine that gluten-free for only 5-6 days would throw off the rest of your celiac panel.

I've read the same, particularly with IgG rather than IgA in someone with normal IgA. I find it hard to imagine that gluten-free for only 5-6 days would throw off the rest of your celiac panel.

Thanks!!