Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Stopped Smoking

36 posts in this topic

Okay. As of 1 hour ago I became a non smoker. I think the Doctor saying smoke and die miserably or quit and add years to your life really decided it for me. Along with Hubs saying, you already need an inhaler, maybe it's time to quit. Of course they are right and I have wanted to quit for some time but I think I'm scared enough to get thru it. I have no choice.

I'm thinking I could knock myself out until Friday. Hubs says no. The patches and the gums make me dizzy and nauseous. And I already take antidepressants. So I figure I will up the ativan for a few days. Tons of water. Simple foods. No pigouts.

Any other suggestions are welcome..

And remember, I am not a bitch this week, just having withdrawals :lol:

Ads by Google:

I had a very successful transition with Chantix. I smoked for 30 years and would not/could not even entertain smoking another cigarette. It's been six years. Although, there are disclaimers.

I wish you every success! :D

I was a 2-3 pack a day smoker when I decided to give it up. I went cold turkey and without help other than moral support. (I was totally a bitch that week.) It was probably the single most difficult week of my life, but once I got past about the first week or so it started getting easier. It's been 5 years this week actually, and there are still times I get stressed out think about lighting up. But, the bright spot is that it's just that now, a thought. It crosses my mind and nothing more, it isn't a strong urge and it no longer controls me. I used lollipops to replace the habit but do whatever works for you.

You can do it! Be strong, and remember we're all here to support you.

Congrats!

I just quit 2 weeks ago using a book called Easy Way To Quit Smoking.

It works great. No withdrawal at all, I was actually euphoric for a few days.

If you get a bad craving do something unexpected like standing up and turning in a circle. You will be distracted and forget the craving. People may even laugh at you. Quitting can be fun. :)

Good luck to you and just keep at it.

You go girl!!

I did it by nibbling on carrot and celery sticks, and holding a pencil in my hand (and some valium to sleep at night). :D

I'm turning in circles. Grooming the dogs. Pouring liquids down my throat. Have my ativan for when I flip out and I take trazadone at night so sleep is no problem.

Thanks guys. I think ill clean out the linen closet :lol:

I'm turning in circles. Grooming the dogs. Pouring liquids down my throat. Have my ativan for when I flip out and I take trazadone at night so sleep is no problem.

Good job at keeping busy. Changing up your routine helps too.

You can do it. You're a warrior.

You really ARE going through some serious changes the past few weeks, Colleen. :D

Dietary changes, cleaning out your kitchen, learning to cook,

baking...that's a lot to do in a short time. Good for you.

I quit in 1994. Cold turkey. (I am not even sure if they made patches or gum or anything like that back then or I might have tried them.)

Hang in there!

Good for you!

Jump up and down. I had a yoga teacher who said that generates endorphins & will cure lots of things! :lol:

or put on some music and dance around?

Good for you!!!

You can do this! Heck, you quit eating gluten. If we can do that, we can do anything!!

I quit about 2 1/2 years ago, after spending about 10 years off and on, with nic gum and the patches. One thing that did help me the most at the beginning was EFT (aka Emotional Freedom Techniques). I'm a part-time practitioner myself, but it turns out the founder of EFT recently set up a new website and he has tutorials. See here: http://www.garythink.com/eft/

Day 1 in the bag. Kept busy all day. Twirling, music, cleaning. Then I packed up the golf cart with nuts, raisins and water. Drove hubs around while he and some friends played nine.

Got my son over now to celebrate the 4th. Tomorrow is the big golf tournament and pool party and barbeque at the club. Should be a fun busy day. The Country Club chefs know I'm gluten free and have made provisions for me recently like, salad dressings, sweet baby rays, and are careful making my food. Another good thing is if I can't have what their serving for a buffet or something I can run home and eat, it's only a minute in the golf cart to our place.

I've only had 1 ativan today. Wood hoo.

Tomorrow will be just as good as today, if not, I'll just take my sleep meds and see ya on Thursday. :D

Hon, please be careful with the ativan and sleep meds. ok? :)

They can cause some seriously weird rebound symptoms and withdrawal.

Have a good day tomorrow!

Day 2. SUCCESS! Great day on the golf course (I was "glowing" like a lightening bug). Hubs played well. I was stocked with pistachios and raisins and tons of water. Barbecue was yummers.

Oh, and get this, a guy in hubs foursome SMOKED! I just steered the cart clear of him, he was kind of a jerk anyway.

We got home and passed out in bed, it was really hot again today, 94 degrees on the course. Thanks to IH and her special water, I am in good shape. And no ativan today. :D

Thanks for everyone's support, it's helping tons and I won't let you down. :D

Special water? Do tell!

Special water? Do tell!

When Colleen was very dehydrated and feeling nauseous etc.,

I told her what my hubs gave me when I was very ill and dehydrated from major D and vomiting (before DX).

16 oz. of pure water mixed with

1 TBLS. of sugar

1 tsp. of salt

Balances your electrolytes.

What did you think, I had brought her something back from Lourdes? :D

or maybe the Fountain of Youth (that stuff does not work, believe me! I drank a ton of it when I was down there....and waited .... and what happened? NUTTIN, 'cept I had to pee.)

Thanks for everyone's support, it's helping tons and I won't let you down. :D

Good for you.

Just take one day at a time. It's like anything new--it's an adjustment and it takes some will power--but it's achievable.

In the long run, you are going to feel so much better!

Your muscles, joints, lungs, skin--everything will clean out-- and you'll see a difference. You won't feel so jittery after a few days, too. So, just hang in there. Drink a lot of water.

((hug))

Ugh. Day 3 has been a tough one. First thing, I'm off to get my echocardiogram. Have to admit it looked really neat on the screen. Then wired up with the Holter monitor, a total pain in my assets :P

The cravings have been ridiculous today. I have this thing going that when I get a craving, I go thru the house and change the position of the wood blinds, then go back and put them in the original position. It helps get thru the craving but I think the neighbors think I'm signaling aliens or something.

Drinking lots of water and ready for bed at 5:30, gonna be a long evening :blink:

Having worn a holter monitor about 15 or more times in my life, I can say this....at least, it doesn't hurt! :D

Oh, sweets, you're in the "yuck phase" now...cravings.

Eat low fat snacks and drink water.

Don't try to go to bed too early, you will just toss and turn.

PM me if you want my phone number. I'll talk to you! Totally serious.

Disclaimer: I do not offer that to just anyone!!..... :unsure:

Having worn a holter monitor about 15 or more times in my life, I can say this....at least, it doesn't hurt! :D

Oh, sweets, you're in the "yuck phase" now...cravings.

Eat low fat snacks and drink water.

Don't try to go to bed too early, you will just toss and turn.

PM me if you want my phone number. I'll talk to you! Totally serious.

Disclaimer: I do not offer that to just anyone!!..... :unsure:

So I'm saying to myself, of course those brownies are low fat. :lol:. Okay, I'll start lowfat now!

Thank you so much for your offer IH, it means so much to me. Hubs is at golf league but will be back soon.

I told him earlier that we had to get intimate tonight, only for purposes of symptoms experienced during that time to be recorded on the monitor ;) the totally weird part is my Doc is my Hubs weekly golfing buddy. :lol::lol: I'm wondering how to phrase that activity in the diary.

So anyway, will stay up as long as possible. I'm about ready to roll a cig out of the, now dead, grass in the front yard. Also thinking about removing my head to stop this headache for a bit. :)

The fact that you are making jokes tells me you are fine!

Put a cold ice pack compress on the back of your neck--it will stop the headache!!

Pm me for my number. Not kidding.

As a 5 yo., to be cool, smoked dried pine needles rolled in newspaper. Darned near burned down our shelter belt :lol: (Had an older male cousin who smoked and was just the coolest dude :rolleyes: ) Almost started that again after I quit the real thing.....nah, just kidding! I found the important thing was to keep my hands busy, and to strike a match every now and then (I gave up lighters because I was also addicted to the sulphur :D )

Hey, can you knit? (I can't--Mom can) but I hear it's good.

and for the love of mike, do not smoke dried pine needles in newspaper!!

Shroomie, you rascal. :lol:

Dried pine needles? :lol:

I can't knit, tried needlepoint - nope. My calling is actually art. I love to draw, write poetry and photography.

I haven't been drawing for awhile, my wrists have been bothering me. My poetry has to strike me, I can't do it on demand. My last photograph collection was lost when hubs got a nasty virus and had to re-format the laptop. I'm still in mourning about that one.

My biggest thing right now is my jaw, when I get anxious, I have these weird jaw movements and stretching like things. It's been almost constant since I quit, therefore the ativan. It helps stop the movements when I can't stand it.

But your right, idle hands are not good. After I get these wires off this morning, I'm gonna head over to the golf course with hubs and take pictures. I'm thinking amber tones to look old fashioned.

Anyway, hoping for a good day. Thanks guys. :)