This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Found A Great Pasta!

lc1333

lc1333 Apprentice

I'm sure most of you already know, but...

So after searching and searching and trying and trying, I have finally found a great gluten-free pasta!!! It's called Shar, with an umlaut over the "a." It's a corn flour and rice flour mix, and it actually tastes like normal pasta. It even doesn't have that nasty rice goop that you have to rinse off after cooking!!!

Of all the things I have been missing, mac & cheese has been one of the biggies, and now I can have it!!! YAY!!!

Just had to share!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

I'm sure most of you already know, but...

So after searching and searching and trying and trying, I have finally found a great gluten-free pasta!!! It's called Shar, with an umlaut over the "a." It's a corn flour and rice flour mix, and it actually tastes like normal pasta. It even doesn't have that nasty rice goop that you have to rinse off after cooking!!!

Of all the things I have been missing, mac & cheese has been one of the biggies, and now I can have it!!! YAY!!!

Just had to share!!

:D I don't have it available in our area, but so very happy for you! Isn't amazing how we get excited over simple issues. :rolleyes:

lynxigirl Rookie

I DIDN'T know! :) Does it cook like "normal" pasta???? With corn pasta it seems to "mush" and got all gross and I haven't tried coooking the rice pasta in my pantry yet. Does it soak up the sauce like I've heard other pasta does??? I have been craving my macaroni pasta that I always make for the 4th of July and this makes me think MAYBE I can have it! :)

lc1333 Apprentice

I DIDN'T know! :) Does it cook like "normal" pasta???? With corn pasta it seems to "mush" and got all gross and I haven't tried coooking the rice pasta in my pantry yet. Does it soak up the sauce like I've heard other pasta does??? I have been craving my macaroni pasta that I always make for the 4th of July and this makes me think MAYBE I can have it! :)

Yeah!! It does!! It cooks just like normal. I don't have to rinse it or anything! It has a normal texture, it's not gritty, or mushy, or chewy, or slimy or anything! I used it with the cheese sauce packet that comes with Velveeta shells and cheese (which is of course, gluten free!) and even my very, very, very picky son liked it more than his normal mac & cheese! I cooked it for 10 minutes and it was great!

You have to try it!! And it's available online to buy! I don't know how to put a link in a post like this but it's Open Original Shared Link

lc1333 Apprentice

I think the link works!! Yay me!!

lc1333 Apprentice

:D I don't have it available in our area, but so very happy for you! Isn't amazing how we get excited over simple issues. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm sooo excited!! They sell it online, it's like $5 a box, but I split one box into two different meals, and even those were like two servings each time. This is their website:

Open Original Shared Link

eeyorelvr Newbie

Bought this in the gluten free section of a Walmart store. Of course not my local Walmart, so when I made it and really liked it I tried to find it at my Walmart...no luck. My local Walmart does not even have a gluten free section.

I will be making a special trip to pick up several boxes soon, as it was the best I have tried so far.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

love2travel Mentor

I bought this pasta in Croatia and Italy and find it to be alright. Not my favourite but it is pretty good for gluten free. Schar has many products including hard bread sticks which I really enjoy. The bread is gross but the ciabatta buns that are par-baked (you finish at home) are better.

mamaw Community Regular

If you want a gluten-free pasta that looks, tastes, & feels like wheat pasta try Bi-Aglut from Italy...there are a couple of other brands that are over the top but nothing beats Bi-Aglut......

Soon green banana pasta will be making it way into our gluten-free world...

lynxigirl Rookie

If you want a gluten-free pasta that looks, tastes, & feels like wheat pasta try Bi-Aglut from Italy...there are a couple of other brands that are over the top but nothing beats Bi-Aglut......

What is the lupin flour that is in it? I haven't heard of that before. Is it a grain, bean, maybe a stupid question..... :)

lc1333 Apprentice

mmmmm........i'll have to try it!! thanks for the suggestion!! lovin' my mac & cheese!!!

mamaw Community Regular

Lupin flour is from the legume family. It is approx. 30% protein.. No, it does not taste like a legume! But studies say some people who can not eat peanuts may not want to use this flour......I don't react to peanuts.... The debate is still on over this debate....

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Schar is good, I like Jovial pasta as well, they make a capellini that's just divine, I so missed angel hair pasta.....

freeatlast Collaborator

I found a new-to-me spaghetti noodles brand made out of corn at Food Lion in the gluten-free section of their grocery store in NC. LOVED it! AND, very affordable.

NickMcKinnis Rookie

Schar makes GREAT gluten free pasta. Before being dxed I was a pasta fiend and I have found that schar is the only brand that is even close. If you are just looking for noodle dishes and you like thai food, try whipping up some pad thai. It's a very different thing but still satisfies my noodle craving

freeatlast Collaborator

The pasta that I bought at Food Lion in NC was Sam Mills Pasta d'oro corn pasta spaghetti. It was great! You get two packages for $2, a little over. Best taste I've tried and best price.

• 3 weeks later...
andi1235 Rookie

Schar makes GREAT gluten free pasta. Before being dxed I was a pasta fiend and I have found that schar is the only brand that is even close. If you are just looking for noodle dishes and you like thai food, try whipping up some pad thai. It's a very different thing but still satisfies my noodle craving

I actually love Tinkyada rice pasta. I also recently managed to get ahold of a used (but not really USED - no gluten contamination) pasta maker a while back, and I found that you can make a really good fresh gluten-free pasta just out of a high-protein flour blend (I think mine had rice and soy flour, mostly), oil, water, and xantham gum (or probably guar gum - haven't tried that yet). The only problem with the homemade pasta is that it is a pain in the butt to clean the machine after!! ;)

genieb Newbie

The only Shar product I've tried is the chibata rolls. They were pretty good, but of course expensive. My mom introduced me to Tinkyada pasta a few years ago and when I buy pasta that is the brand I usually get. We love spaghetti squash so I don't use a lot of pasta. My grocery store is just starting to get Shar products in so I will look for the pasta. May give it a try.

heathenly Apprentice

I've had good luck with the Schar pasta-- only tried the penne and the fusilli, but looking forward to others. I tried some other Trader Joe's brands that were awful-- the rice pasta as sticky and not tasty, and the corn made me sick. I'm going to look for the other two brands mentioned-- thanks! Now, if someone would make us gluten-free ravioli, my life would be complete... ;)

heathenly Apprentice

BiAglut has a store (retailer) finder... Open Original Shared Link

justlisa Apprentice

I will have to see if I can convince my local store to get Shar...

mamaw Community Regular

Ravioli::: Here's a few that make it gluten-free.. Conte's, Ceasar's & the best of the best is DePuma's ( restaurant quality)..Cont'e s is good Ceasar's We didn't care for...

HTH

heathenly Apprentice

Thanks! I'm happy to hear it exists!

Roda Rising Star

The pasta that I bought at Food Lion in NC was Sam Mills Pasta d'oro corn pasta spaghetti. It was great! You get two packages for $2, a little over. Best taste I've tried and best price.

I agree that the Sam Mills Pasta is good. It is the only gluten free pasta I've tried that I like. Even my gluten eating husband will eat it. I get it at a Mennonite store in our area and recently our Food City started carrying it.

I've tried Schar, Tinkyada, Deboles and BioNature and disliked them all.

fantasticalice Explorer

Thank goodness for Trader Joe's! I can afford it AND there is some nutrition in their brown rice pasta! This stuff made me bloat like a fish belly! I assume that corn in NOT GMO!?

Archived