24 replies to this topic

#16 freeatlast

freeatlast

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:18 AM

The pasta that I bought at Food Lion in NC was Sam Mills Pasta d'oro corn pasta spaghetti. It was great! You get two packages for $2, a little over. Best taste I've tried and best price.
Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 andi1235

andi1235

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:52 AM

Schar makes GREAT gluten free pasta. Before being dxed I was a pasta fiend and I have found that schar is the only brand that is even close. If you are just looking for noodle dishes and you like thai food, try whipping up some pad thai. It's a very different thing but still satisfies my noodle craving

I actually love Tinkyada rice pasta. I also recently managed to get ahold of a used (but not really USED - no gluten contamination) pasta maker a while back, and I found that you can make a really good fresh gluten-free pasta just out of a high-protein flour blend (I think mine had rice and soy flour, mostly), oil, water, and xantham gum (or probably guar gum - haven't tried that yet). The only problem with the homemade pasta is that it is a pain in the butt to clean the machine after!! ;)

#18 genieb

genieb

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:45 PM

The only Shar product I've tried is the chibata rolls. They were pretty good, but of course expensive. My mom introduced me to Tinkyada pasta a few years ago and when I buy pasta that is the brand I usually get. We love spaghetti squash so I don't use a lot of pasta. My grocery store is just starting to get Shar products in so I will look for the pasta. May give it a try.

#19 heathenly

heathenly

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:49 PM

I've had good luck with the Schar pasta-- only tried the penne and the fusilli, but looking forward to others. I tried some other Trader Joe's brands that were awful-- the rice pasta as sticky and not tasty, and the corn made me sick. I'm going to look for the other two brands mentioned-- thanks! Now, if someone would make us gluten-free ravioli, my life would be complete... ;)

#20 heathenly

heathenly

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:53 PM

BiAglut has a store (retailer) finder... http://www.biaglut.i.../store-locator/

#21 justlisa

justlisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:54 PM

I will have to see if I can convince my local store to get Shar...

#22 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:09 PM

Ravioli::: Here's a few that make it gluten-free.. Conte's, Ceasar's & the best of the best is DePuma's ( restaurant quality)..Cont'e s is good Ceasar's We didn't care for...

HTH

#23 heathenly

heathenly

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:28 PM

Thanks! I'm happy to hear it exists!

#24 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:21 AM

The pasta that I bought at Food Lion in NC was Sam Mills Pasta d'oro corn pasta spaghetti. It was great! You get two packages for $2, a little over. Best taste I've tried and best price.

I agree that the Sam Mills Pasta is good. It is the only gluten free pasta I've tried that I like. Even my gluten eating husband will eat it. I get it at a Mennonite store in our area and recently our Food City started carrying it.

I've tried Schar, Tinkyada, Deboles and BioNature and disliked them all.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#25 fantasticalice

fantasticalice

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:56 AM

Thank goodness for Trader Joe's! I can afford it AND there is some nutrition in their brown rice pasta! This stuff made me bloat like a fish belly! I assume that corn in NOT GMO!?
Alice in Gluten-Free Wonderland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: