3 replies to this topic

#1 seezee

seezee

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:33 AM

Does anyone have books or websites that they can recommend for a close friend of mine. Her son suffers from severe anxiety and is very fearful. He just finished first grade. She has been getting counseling and help at school. I suggested to her that it could be food related or physical. I know for example that my daughter's emotional behavior improved a lot after she was diagnosed with celiac and she changed her diet. She had lots more energy and is much better able to cope with things. My sister had another friend and her sons react pretty strongly to food coloring and it has a huge effect on their behavior. Any suggestions, resources or advice would be great. I know there are a number of families who do gluten free with their kids for behavior who may not have celiac. I did suggest she may want to have him tested for celiac since he is so thin and small as well. I am not sure she thinks this is a problem though...

Thanks,

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tom

tom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:25 AM

Your concern sure comes through. I don't have anything specific except that I suspect your friend will become more receptive over time. Food/behavioral issues are common enough that she'll hear more & if you've mentioned it here & there she'll know you're available to find out more.

Someone must know of a good kids' food/behavior site. (Almost wrote behavioUr) :P
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

#3 Mom2J112903

Mom2J112903

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:54 AM

I would just simply urge her to talk to her ped for a refferal to someone whom can help his anxiety issues. If she thinks it is food related, a refferal for an allergist whom is well versed in ALL severities of allergies. One whom will test for IgE allergies which are delayed allergies and can cause both GI symptoms and behaviorial.
Crystal, Stay-at-home and homeschooling Momma to a one and only little warrior man with numerous GI disorders which have lead to Elecare Jr via g-tube as soul nutrition.

#4 seezee

seezee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:54 AM

Thanks for the advice. I spoke to her about it last week and she had never heard that diet could cause anxiety. It's hard because I am not a medical professional but this little boy gets so nervous and upset that he really isn't able to do normal kid stuff. He came to our house which is on a farm with a swing and a frog pond and lots of stuff kids love and just curled up and whined. His mom is at her wit's end. My daughter before we figured out about the celiac had a lot of intermittent emotional problems too. She has improved so much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: