8 replies to this topic

#1 freeatlast

freeatlast

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:28 AM

I was just checking on their hash browns after having a traveling incident about 30 minutes after eating a McMuffin minus the muffin and a hash brown. Here's the link:
http://nutrition.mcd...edientslist.pdf
Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:49 AM

I was just checking on their hash browns after having a traveling incident about 30 minutes after eating a McMuffin minus the muffin and a hash brown. Here's the link:
http://nutrition.mcd...edientslist.pdf

Not really new. ;)

As with the french fries, the hydrolyzed wheat has been process to the point of no detectable gluten.

But, as in every restaurant (especially fast foods), chance for cross contamination/contact is high.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 lc1333

lc1333

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:44 AM

Oh, wow, a few months ago I was eating scrambled eggs, a piece of sausage, and a hash brown from McDonald's everyday for breakfast. I wasn't having a reaction, so I thought everything was fine, I mean really - it's just eggs, potatoes, and sausage, it'll be ok...uh, no...two weeks later I discovered my system shut down and wasn't digesting anything and I ended up in the hospital in EXCRUTIATING

#4 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:46 AM

Not really new. ;)

As with the french fries, the hydrolyzed wheat has been process to the point of no detectable gluten.

But, as in every restaurant (especially fast foods), chance for cross contamination/contact is high.

I was impressed that they put the McMuffin, minus the muffin, in a conainer by itself. It hadn't been assembled with the muffin yet. Got a couple of those during my trip with no side effects. Well, until today. Not sure which was cross contaminated.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

#5 lc1333

lc1333

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:47 AM

to finish...

in excrutiating pain!! I went to the hospital and they were afraid of my intestines perforating...it was horrible!! Five hours of absolute hell!! I will never eat ANYTHING without checking the ingredients and knows for absolute certain that it is gluten-free. I was sick for three days after that, and the doc said I was lucky and to be more careful...

#6 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:02 PM

to finish...

in excrutiating pain!! I went to the hospital and they were afraid of my intestines perforating...it was horrible!! Five hours of absolute hell!! I will never eat ANYTHING without checking the ingredients and knows for absolute certain that it is gluten-free. I was sick for three days after that, and the doc said I was lucky and to be more careful...

Gosh, how terrible! We all have our lessons to learn, don't we? The odd part is even when I THINK I'm being careful, sometimes all of my "science" backfires on me.

Hope you are feeling better now :)

#7 lc1333

lc1333

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:18 PM

Gosh, how terrible! We all have our lessons to learn, don't we? The odd part is even when I THINK I'm being careful, sometimes all of my "science" backfires on me.

Hope you are feeling better now :)

Thanks, yeah, i'm much better now...i've really learned to never take anything for granted and to double check EVERYTHING i eat...

#8 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:29 PM

Yes, you do have to be careful with potatoes. My family thinks I am overeacting to ask at restaurants but I can't tell you how many times I have been told that there is wheat in the potatoes. The only things we would get at McDonalds are the sliced apples, maybe a side salad and a drink. I don't trust them.

#9 lc1333

lc1333

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:18 AM

Yes, you do have to be careful with potatoes. My family thinks I am overeacting to ask at restaurants but I can't tell you how many times I have been told that there is wheat in the potatoes. The only things we would get at McDonalds are the sliced apples, maybe a side salad and a drink. I don't trust them.

Frankly, I am now terrified of McDonald's, it's in my psyche, kinda like getting food poisoning from eating something, it ruins you on it. I don't think I could bring myself to eat there if I had to...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: