#1 fidgiegirl

fidgiegirl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:56 AM

Hi

I am new to the boards. I do not have Celiac Disease but am following a gluten-free diet due to GI issues and to help with Hashimoto's thyroiditis. It has made a huge difference to my well being over the last seven months. Wow! Seven months already!

I was given a breadmaker and would like to try to use it to make gluten-free breads. However, I don't want to get into buying a lot of flours. I am willing to do so if I can make my own mixes (a lá Hillbilly Housewife) to use later on in the breadmaker.

Long story short, does anyone have experience adapting oven gluten-free bread recipes for the breadmaker? I already have xanthan and replacement all-purpose flour and Gluten Free on a Shoestring, containing some bread recipes. Would like to make them in the breadmaker but not sure how to adapt them.

I think it is a smaller one - says the flour capacity is 3.25 C. It is a Chefmate from the mid 90s. I see that a different brand is generally preferred but since this is the one I got for free, would like to give it a try.

Also, I read somewhere that I could use a quick rise cycle or something like that, but all the cycles on this particular breadmaker have similar lengths of bake time and none really stands out as all that different than the others, at least to my inexperienced eye.

Any help from experienced breadmaker users would be appreciated!! Thanks for being here!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Hornet

Hornet

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:13 AM

Does it have a gluten-free setting?

#3 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,242 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:44 AM

Use the google in the upper right corner to search for " bread machine" or " bread maker". I know we have and lots of posts with recipes and suggestions. If you find a helpful one, you might put the link to it for others who are following along
:D

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#4 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:26 PM

The main thing is it needs to be a cycle with only one rise. You don't punch down gluten-free dough for a second rise. On my older machine, the "rapid rise" setting is a single rise.

I like the Bob's Red Mill Hearty Whole Grain bread mix. Homemade Wonderful Bread works well too, but I taste the bean flour more strongly in that one. Measuring fluid carefully is VERY important for good results. I have to proof the yeast and mix the wet and dry ingreds by hand until all the flour is moistened. Then I dump the sticky batter/dough into the machine. Gluten-free doughs are too sticky for my machine's paddle to manage to mix in all the flour without a little help.

I've always found the trick with bread machines is the moisture. A dough that's too wet will over-rise, collapse, and underbake. Too dry and it doesn't rise well enough and tends to overbake. It's mostly experimentation and getting a feel for how your favorite recipe works in the machine.

#5 ~**caselynn**~

~**caselynn**~

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:47 PM

I use a mix called Favorite Sandwich Bread, so good. I use my bread machine on the dough setting. It runs the cycle and then I put it in a pan and cook the old fashioned way. It's my favorite, I don't make it very often but when I do I fall in love with it all over again!
~**caselynn**~

#6 fidgiegirl

fidgiegirl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:31 PM

Hornet - it does not have a gluten-free bread setting.

I also wonder if it won't work because every cycle has two rises.

I did the Google before I posted this, but none of the thread titles seemed to be what I needed.

Thanks for tips on mixes - anyone ever adapt a from-scratch recipe?

#7 ~**caselynn**~

~**caselynn**~

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:29 PM

I tried to adapt from scratch in the beginning and failed miserably more than once lol that was when I discovered te mix haha good luck!! If you come up with a great one, please share! 😃
~**caselynn**~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: