This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cheetos? Reacting From? Anyone Else Have Problems

Teri Lou

Teri Lou Apprentice

Hi- I am having a massive DH breakout and the only thing I can think it would be from is Cheetos...everything else I have eaten today is either fruit, vegetable or gluten free bread....does anyone else have problems with these? I don't see anything on label or online that would indicate gluten in the ingredients...What am I missing?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Here's the list from Frito Lay America

Open Original Shared Link

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Hi- I am having a massive DH breakout and the only thing I can think it would be from is Cheetos...everything else I have eaten today is either fruit, vegetable or gluten free bread....does anyone else have problems with these? I don't see anything on label or online that would indicate gluten in the ingredients...What am I missing?

If you look at the list that was posted earlier most of the Cheeto's fall under this heading:

"The Frito-Lay products listed below do not contain wheat, rye, barley or oat ingredients (we include oats in this list as a precaution as oats are often commingled with gluten-containing grains). Please note however, some of the products listed below may be manufactured on the same lines as products that contain gluten. Although our lines are cleaned between production runs, Frito-Lay has not tested these products for gluten content and the ingredients in these products may have come into contact with gluten-containing products prior to manufacturing. Individuals who are sensitive to gluten should take these factors into consideration in consuming these products."

Personally I stay away from the products on the list under this advisement because sometimes they are fine and others well.....

squirmingitch Veteran

Hi Teri, it would help if we knew your situation. Have you ever had dh before or is this the first time?

Your dh may be presenting not from what you ate today but from what you ate a few days ago. Mine doesn't always break out immediately upon eating iodine or salicylates --- it might take a couple of days. I've only had one glutening since going gluten-free but it didn't immediately break out then --- it took a few days.

Cheeotos are major big time full of salicylates which I am having a devil of a time with regarding my dh & I might add so is my hubs. And it seems many who have dh have to watch the salicylates (sals).

How about your iodine intake? Iodine will make dh go crazy!

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Cheetos made my DH go absolutely crazy.

I was reacting to salicylates.

They contain annatto, yellow food coloring which you cannot have if you are sensitive to salicylates.

The other food preservative that made DH go crazy was benzoates which are in most soda's and processed drinks.

People who react to salicylates cannot tolerate benzoates usually.

Both of them were terrible for my DH.

Now I have been free of active DH lesions for several months.

I tested cheetos once.

I didn't notice a reaction, but I only ate a few.

Cheetos also have MSG which isn't good for you if you are prone to anxiety....I stay away from it.

Squirming is right....cheetos are full of salicylates.

Sorry you are having a reaction.

I don't know if they also have trace gluten, I just know there are too many questions about them for me.

The salt they use may or may not contain iodine.

It is one of the things that causes DH to stay active.

It is almost impossible to verify with a company if their salt contains iodine.

They just don't keep tabs on that sorta thing.

So all you can do is stay away from salty foods.

Hope you figure it out and feel better soon.

Cheryl-C Enthusiast

I had a reaction to Cheetos a few weeks ago. I was surprised, because I eat Fritos all the time with no trouble - I figured I would be ok. Sorry to hear you had trouble!

Darn210 Enthusiast

If you need a cheetos type fix and want to stay away from the cheetos, you might want to try "Tings"

Use to be labeled under "Robert's Gourmet" but looks like they maybe switching to "Pirate Brands" . . . :unsure: not sure. They are the same company that makes pirate booty & veggie booty if you are familiar with that.

Tings are like cheetos except they don't have the orange cheese coating. Same shape/crunch and salty. The ingredient list isn't nearly as long:

Cornmeal, Contains one or more of the following (Sunflower, Expeller Pressed Canola, or Corn Oil), Nutritional Yeast, and Salt.

Website says gluten free . . . don't know if the bags do or not.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Snyders makes some certified gluten-free snacks. One is a white cheese puff. Yum. Also the multigrain torilla chips are great! Hard to find here as they sell out as quickly as the store gets them.

Skylark Collaborator

If you like the cheese coating, get Pirate's Booty rather than Tings. Pirate's Booty doesn't have as many chemicals as Cheetos and tastes almost the same.

Archived