This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Do You Fight The Temptation To Cheat?

Sage122

Sage122 Explorer

My reaction to gluten Isnt that severe. It's not like I have to be rushed to the hospital if I eat it. I dont have celiac either. Just a mild gluten intokerancd.

I'm on vacation this week, staying at a conference center where they serve all this amazing food. And yeah I've cheated sooo much in the past week. Cupcakes, scones, soy sauce in rice (that was accidental). How can I not do it? It's so hard when everyone's eating something you know is delicious, and you can't partake in it. I'm 14 and I do my cheating in secret so no one will know. At home I can't cheat cause I don't keep much of it in the house. But then when I'm on vacation I go crazy and cheat. We never buy gluten free brownies, waffles, cake etc at home cause my parents are health freaks, and that stuff is expensive. So when I go on vacation, I crave it and eat it.

HELP!!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Do you get any kind of allowance or spending money for vacations? If you do it might help to purchase some gluten free treats to bring with you. While you are not having severe reactions right now that could change at any time. And the worst time to find your reactions have gotten worse is while on vacation.

GFreeMO Proficient

How about snacking on fruit. Watermelon or strawberries, pineapple and blueberries. apple with cinnamon and sugar...etc.

Make some oven sweet potato fries or some kale chips.

Set a healthy example for everyone else!

Sage122 Explorer

Ok. More suggestions please. Like when you're at parties too...what do you do to resist the gluten temptation?

Funnily enough at the lunch buffet we went to today, they had gluten free pasta. The first time I had had it in a year!!

bartfull Rising Star

There are a lot of things you can eat instead. You can bring your own gluten-free goodies to parties. But the important thing to remember is that after you have been eating healthy foods for a while, the temptation to indulge in gluten will fade away. I have gotten to the point where even the smell of unhealthy foods like deep fried chicken or even pizza turns my stomach. When I see people eating this stuff I cringe and think, "How can they put that in their mouths?"

Honestly. The longer you stick to gluten-free, the sooner you will find yourself craving healthy foods.

GF Lover Rising Star

Bart is right. After a time, all those goodies won't look so good anymore. My Hubs can sit next to me and eat pizza and chocolate chip cookies and I swear, it does not tempt me at all.

You need to mentally accept the fact that gluten is poison to you and your not interested.

Since your parents are health nuts, there should be plenty of fruits around, grab that and the craving will be gone before you know it. Take some with you when your out.

You CAN do this this Sage. Good luck. :D

BeccaMeadows Newbie

At first it is sooo hard to stay gluten-free, and especially if your case your reaction isn't as severe. When I go to parties, I bring my own food. Even if I have to explain it to a million people why I'm the weirdo who brings their own food to the fully loaded thanksgiving dinner it beats getting stuck watching people eat delicious food and being tempted to slip. Sadly, so far that's the only solution I've come to other than eating tons beforehand. It's especially hard to find gluten-free food in a different location like when you're on vacation since you don't know what store to go to in the area.

Hopefully you'll find something that works for you. Goodness, if I have to sit through another meal where everyone is raving about how good the cake is I'll stick forks in my eyes.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

I don't cheat because I'm scared half to death of eating gluten. I already have thyroid autoimmunity from so many years eating gluten. And the link to thyroid autoimmunity is gluten intolerance as well as celiac so you're at risk for developing it. Even worse, once you have one autoimmune disease you are at higher risk to get more.

There is nothing I can do to stop the my body from systematically destroying my thyroid and the inflammation makes me run low-grade fevers and feel sick part of the time. Plus I have to take a thyroid pill every morning for the rest of my life. I really wish I had been correctly diagnosed with celiac or gluten intolerance (don't know which I have for sure) at your age. I might not feel so bad all the time. Eat the scone or cupcake and you might end up in my boat!

No way am I risking developing even more autoimmunity for a cupcake. It just isn't worth it.

~**caselynn**~ Enthusiast

I always make sure I have something like a L

manderoni22 Newbie

My reaction to gluten Isnt that severe. It's not like I have to be rushed to the hospital if I eat it. I dont have celiac either. Just a mild gluten intokerancd.

I'm on vacation this week, staying at a conference center where they serve all this amazing food. And yeah I've cheated sooo much in the past week. Cupcakes, scones, soy sauce in rice (that was accidental). How can I not do it? It's so hard when everyone's eating something you know is delicious, and you can't partake in it. I'm 14 and I do my cheating in secret so no one will know. At home I can't cheat cause I don't keep much of it in the house. But then when I'm on vacation I go crazy and cheat. We never buy gluten free brownies, waffles, cake etc at home cause my parents are health freaks, and that stuff is expensive. So when I go on vacation, I crave it and eat it.

HELP!!!!!

Hey. So here's the thing. If you're cheating and don't have really bad reactions, you are still damaged on the inside of your body and you can't feel how severely you were affected by the gluten. And I don't know much about gluten intolerance but I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease when I was 22 months old and I'm also 14, so I have been dealing with my symptoms for a while and it is impossible for me to cheat without getting a severe reaction. So taking that you are intolerant, I would do some research on how that actually damages you without you knowing. As for food, I have to say that I love the chocolate bars that have the crisp in the middle. I believe it is from the brand Enjoy Life and I know that it is dairy free as well as gluten free because I was put off of dairy for a few months. And it must be hard with the situation of your parents not wanting to get the stuff (but I do COMPLETELY understand how expensive it is), but you could try explaining your situation to them. I hope I helped, best of luck to you :)

Sage122 Explorer

Ya you did thanks for all these answers!!

Archived