70 replies to this topic

#1 celiacgirl1982

celiacgirl1982

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:03 PM

As a relatively new celiac sufferer (one year), I'm adjusting to have to explain my new set of dietary regulations over and over. This is a light-hearted review of some of my favorite commentary from others. List some of the funny ones you have heard!

Upon turning down a food item with a brief explanation of my condition, I hear
“So you can never have bread? Cake? Pasta?” (et. al. Ad nauseum.)

Wow. Yes. Keep going. Yes, every baked good you can conceive of.

“Come on, you can just have a taste!”

Really? Bless you, doctor! I’m so lucky to be surrounded by such competent medical advisors!

“It’s not like you’re going to drop dead or something.”

Said sneeringly by someone who has perhaps never suffered pain of any kind. Wow. Well, then why don’t you go roll in poison ivy, then? It’s not like you would drop dead!

“So, flour has wheat in it?”
“So, bread has wheat in it?”
“So, gluten is wheat?”
“Is there wheat in gluten?”

These types of questions always seems to come hand-in-hand, usually from a concerned, well-meaning friend or family member, who can’t seem to wrap their head around the whole concept.

My sister’s friend’s cousin is “allergic to wheat” too, and SHE can eat ____________. (fill in the blank)

This usually comes as a ‘pressure tactic’ from someone who doesn’t even know what celiac disease is, or thinks it is an allergy, and is trying to convince you to sample an unmarked, suspect substance (seasoned fries, salad dressing, casserole).

“You shouldn’t have ___________, because my sister’s friend’s cousin says it’s bad if you have celiac.”

This is fun. This was said to me when I was halfway through a glass of wine. Hmm. I promise you I will scrupulously avoid anything that is bad for me!

“You know, they have a HUGE section (meaning half of one shelf) of gluten-free stuff at [Wal-mart, Schnucks, Dierbergs], you should go shop there!”

Really? You think I actually didn’t know that my local supermarket carries half a shelf of expensive, heavily processed food ($6 pancake mix) that is marketed to me?! Good thing I can still enjoy that half a shelf of food.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:18 PM

Waiter: You can have the white bread, but not the whole wheat.
Me: Oh, really? What is the white bread made from?
Waiter: Flour.
Me: And what is the flour made from?
Waiter: Well you know it's just flour, like you get at the store. :lol:

#3 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:19 PM

My neighbor A NURSE said...Oh, I could never do that, I love bread too much. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

#4 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:21 PM

One of these days I'm going to find one of those flour trees that people seem to think grow somewhere. I'm curious whether the brand name is already printed on the bags that hang from the branches.

#5 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:35 PM

My favorites:

Me: No muffin for me--I can't have wheat.

Server: Oh, then you can have the blueberry muffins--they're only made of blueberries!

Me to yet another server: Do you know what kind of flour is used in your ______?

Server: It's white flour.

Yes, apparently, flour is made of only one thing: flour.

#6 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:38 PM

I have rolled my eyes and put my face in my hand at people who are like "there's wheat in flour?" as if they didn't know. HOW DO YOU NOT KNOW THAT?!?! Where do people think flour comes from? Bashing my head against my desk until I bleed would be less painful than some of the conversations I've had with some people.

My favorite will still always be "well isn't there a way you can knead the bread to like... beat the gluten out of it?"

I'm surprised I didn't bleed out of my ears trying not to laugh right in her face and tell her that was by far the most stupid thing I've ever heard in my life. (And I spend a LOT of time on the internet.)

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#7 srall

srall

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:19 PM

WEll, I'm 2 plus years in and have heard all of those over and over.

We were traveling this past week (in New Orleans, 9 year old and me gluten free) and in one restaurant I asked for the gluten free menu. I knew they had one because we had eaten there the day before (server was AWESOME that day). This girl, however, was so confused. She brought the vegan menu. I said, "Well, we're sort of the opposite of vegan." It was very hard to explain to her what gluten free was. In her defense she was very young and heck...I would not have known at her age. But I seriously considered leaving.

Good news: First trip ever without getting one bit sick. New Orleans did right by us.

I also love the one when you tell people you're gluten free and they will say, "Hey, did you know Cub has a gluten free section?"
Pretty much. People want to help. Gotta' love 'em.

#8 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:27 PM

The ones that get to me are things like, "Oh yes, I've gone gluten-free too!", as they stuff a breaded and deep fried mushroom or something similar in their mouths.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#9 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:39 PM

I have a bunch of friends who are EXTREMELY food aware and really splurge with only organic foods (which is great but expensive) so I had almost no sympathies from any friends. I had quite a few "At least there's lots you can still eat" to even a "welcome to our world" from a friend who has chosen to eat this way, and can afford to without batting an eye.

I'm only one week into this so I'm dying for someone, anyone, to say "oh, that's got to be tough," when I tell them of my recent diagnosis. Anyone!
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#10 ~**caselynn**~

~**caselynn**~

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:41 PM

I have a bunch of friends who are EXTREMELY food aware and really splurge with only organic foods (which is great but expensive) so I had almost no sympathies from any friends. I had quite a few "At least there's lots you can still eat" to even a "welcome to our world" from a friend who has chosen to eat this way, and can afford to without batting an eye.

I'm only one week into this so I'm dying for someone, anyone, to say "oh, that's got to be tough," when I tell them of my recent diagnosis. Anyone!

I have just the opposite, they all are very concerned, especially when we eat out. To the point where they will badger the waiter, leaving me saying" wait! That's my job!" Lol gotta love their enthusiasm. My best friend in particular did that exact scenario one day, to the point that I didn't even need to explain how to keep my meal seperate cooking wise. She then, mid conversation, offers me a roll heehee...really? Gotta love her! She's got my best interest at heart, but still talks to me like nothing ever changed haha 😜
~**caselynn**~

#11 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:09 PM

Lots you can still eat? A week in I thought I was going to starve to death. It isn't like you can go eat organic wheat bread, how insensitive of them. It's one thing to make a choice to eat a certain way, it is entirely another to have dietary needs thrust upon you. Some people just... grrrrrr, at least we understand it's tough.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#12 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:25 PM

I got comments from people about how they could never stick to that diet or how they would kill themselves if they couldn't eat _____. Now I am not a celiac but I do have food intolerances. And for me all it takes is the pain and/or stomach or other symptoms those foods give me to know that I will never willingly or knowningly eat them again. I am even so cautious that if I don't know what is in something, I won't eat it.

The thing that still gets me is to go to a place with a gluten-free menu, order off of it and then still get croutons on your salad.

#13 auzzi

auzzi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:58 AM

I did laugh at the woman who exclaimed that she had gone "gluten free" because it was a very healthy diet. So much so that she was trying to put her 13-year old son on it also. He was resisting ..

Was she coeliac/intoleran/allergic or even sensitive ? No, but she knew all about it due to her line-of-work .. which was ? she worked in a Health Food Store for one-day each week ..

Again, I laughed .. My boss was not happy with me laughing at her, but I was amused ..

#14 ~**caselynn**~

~**caselynn**~

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:27 AM

There's a lady like that where I work as well, lol. We have talked many times about how it's not to be a diet fad, that just because it's gluten free doesnt mean it's healthy, theres junk food gluten free too! Haha she didn't listen to me, I tried to explain that even though I'm celiac I don't even eat a lot of the processed things, I eat rather cleanly. She recently said to me, that gluten frees stuff can be just as unhealthy as the regular version...HELLOOO!?!? Haha I refrained from pointing out the obvious, but come on!! Oh common sense, where have you gone....I still chuckle about that when I see her.....
~**caselynn**~

#15 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,766 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:35 AM

I volunteer at a place where we have a table full of different baked goods that people can have. Every once in a while we get potato bread or rolls in. Can't count the number of times someone has plopped down a package and said 'Look we have some bread you can eat today'. Yea right cause that potato bread is made with just mashed taters.
Also frequently hear people say they wish they had celiac so they could be as thin as I am. Oh really you want bone pain, brain fog and constant D so you can get diagnosed and have to change your whole life around, yea right.
My boss gets it though and is always finding or bringing in stuff that is actually safe for me. She keeps me well supplied in chocolate. :)
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: