Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Seriously?

71 posts in this topic

LOL Bikinis... lol :P

I am a newbie and today I received my first comment from a stranger about passing up food... I guess that's a celiac milestone, eh? lol

I was at a Calgary Stampede breakfast (during the 10 days of rodeo and exhibition, they have at least a dozen free pancake breakfasts all over the city everyday - they feed 1000's for free) and I was finishing loading up my boys' plates and a nice man asked,"Would you like pancakes?"

I replied, "No thank you," even though I hated to pass up the sausages, and the response I got was "Oooookay." with the look... you know the look? The look that says 'why would you bother dieting on a fun free day like this, and in fronth of your children?'

So, milestone! First stranger comment. LOL ;)

Ads by Google:

Took M up to B&N to buy a book for his HS summer reading. They have a Starbucks and occasionally, I'll get him a Frapachino. So I got him one. He got the Mocha cookie one. They blend Oreo type cookie crumbs in it. I had already had coffee and didn't want anything. The 2 guys working, thought it was odd I didn't want anything. Then they gave the Frap to M and told him to share a little with his Mom. He said, "Nope." They looked at him like he was really mean. M turned around and grinned at me and said, "Not sharing with you." We got outside and laughed.

Took M up to B&N to buy a book for his HS summer reading. They have a Starbucks and occasionally, I'll get him a Frapachino. So I got him one. He got the Mocha cookie one. They blend Oreo type cookie crumbs in it. I had already had coffee and didn't want anything. The 2 guys working, thought it was odd I didn't want anything. Then they gave the Frap to M and told him to share a little with his Mom. He said, "Nope." They looked at him like he was really mean. M turned around and grinned at me and said, "Not sharing with you." We got outside and laughed.

Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode, No Soup For You!

Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode, No Soup For You!

That's funny. M is the Gluten Police. He will take things out of my hands to read the ingredients if he thinks they have wheat in them. He stops people from helping themselves to chips until he is sure I have had some.

That's funny. M is the Gluten Police. He will take things out of my hands to read the ingredients if he thinks they have wheat in them. He stops people from helping themselves to chips until he is sure I have had some.

:wub:

I know this is a few years down the road, Karen . . . but doesn't it give you a warm fuzzy feeling that you'll be able to eat dinner at his house once he's out of the nest?

I know this is a few years down the road, Karen . . . but doesn't it give you a warm fuzzy feeling that you'll be able to eat dinner at his house once he's out of the nest?

My older son found his Celiac knowledge helps him meet girls in the Dorm cafeteria. :o

My older son found his Celiac knowledge helps him meet girls in the Dorm cafeteria. :o

Haha too cute! My little brother did the same thing at a restaurant once, he used me to chat up the waitress about my gluten free food...and her number if I'm not mistaken, smooth I tell ya--but I'm sitting right there!? Haha ;)

I had this discussion with someone at my new work today. They once again asked why I wasn't eating the lunch provided. I said it was because of food allergies. He asked what foods. I listed them. One co-worker put it together and said "gluten?" I said yes. He had been an EMT so that might have been his background. The other individual asked me if I only couldn't have whole wheat. I said, no, I can't have any wheat. He then went on to ask me if I could eat white bread. I figured 50/50 was a pretty good response.

People keep asking me if I'm enjoying my gluten challenge, and then rattling off lists of things I had better eat while I can. Yeah, it's great fun trying to get through the day with my nausea, distended abdomen, etc., and thank you for making me queasier with that list!

People keep asking me if I'm enjoying my gluten challenge, and then rattling off lists of things I had better eat while I can. Yeah, it's great fun trying to get through the day with my nausea, distended abdomen, etc., and thank you for making me queasier with that list!

I've definitely taken advantage of it though...I ate stuff I haven't eaten in 18 months. The symptoms are a royal pain, but I have appreciated the convenience while I still can! I'm trying to stay positive with the whole thing. :)

Ohhhh...there was a homeschooling woman a few years ago who was "gluten intolerant." Her main symptom was fatigue, which I understand is a symptom, having experienced it myself, but she cheated all the time. At camp one night, she reached for a gluteny brownie that I was handing out to the kids (but not eating myself), and said to me, "I really shouldn't, but I really want one. I'll just take a nap tomorrow." If I'd tried that, I would have spent the next day fighting brain fog, running to the toilet, and in intestinal agony. Oi. So aggravating.

On vacation in Myrtle Beach with the extended family this week.

Waiter : So what happens when you eat gluten?

Me : Well, sometimes I get a migraine, or all over body ache, or you might never get me out of your restroom!

Guessing the waiter won't ask anyone else that question!

Most of our friends are SO kind and concerned, but get confused.

"You can't eat that... it contains whey." Um... it's wheat I can't have, not whey.

I walked past a bake sale and had to say... to the sales pitch... "Would you believe there's not one thing there I can eat?" They asked about celiac and said, "Oh you poor dear. WHAT do you eat?" I looked down at my overweight self and said with a chuckle, "Um... do I look like I'm starving??" Ha ha.

Long ago I responded to my friend's sort of impatience... "Can't you just eat a little??" "Um... can YOU just eat a little rat poison??"

My neighbor A NURSE said...Oh, I could never do that, I love bread too much. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

A friend said but your are raised in the prarie country, where wheat is grown, and bread is a staple, after he told me his daughter has been diagnosed with celiac disease. :rolleyes:

My oldest daughter very obviously (to me) has celiac. She also believes this to be the case. Unfortunately her father has custody of her and like me she is an awesome test taker and her blood tests came back negative so her father and stepmother are not keeping her on a gluten free diet. They hadn't found or eliminated all of the gluten successfully, but she was feeling a whole lot better more or less off gluten.

Anyway, they won't let her get an endoscopy. Why? "We just don't feel like it's safe to let a little girl have a scope put down her throat like that." But they'll let her eat wheat?! That's safe?! Her and I count the months until she leaves for college.

During my struggles adjusting to the new diet (keep in mind I was super cranky from the withdrawal), my aunt found out I was diagnosed. Her reply to me was, "Oh! Well that's not a big deal! All you have to do it change your diet! All of your cousin's friends are going gluten free - its the new thing!!"

Oh really? That's ALL I have to do?? You're lucky we were speaking on the phone cause you were about to get a knock in your teeth....Your daughter's friends are ordering salads without croutons and claiming they are gluten free - they're still eating cheesecake in the middle of the night when no one is looking...

During my struggles adjusting to the new diet (keep in mind I was super cranky from the withdrawal), my aunt found out I was diagnosed. Her reply to me was, "Oh! Well that's not a big deal! All you have to do it change your diet! All of your cousin's friends are going gluten free - its the new thing!!"

Oh really? That's ALL I have to do?? You're lucky we were speaking on the phone cause you were about to get a knock in your teeth....Your daughter's friends are ordering salads without croutons and claiming they are gluten free - they're still eating cheesecake in the middle of the night when no one is looking...

Yummm cheesecake 😄 funny how something's catch your attention, huh??

The worst comment I've ever gotten was from a friend. When I was newly diagnosed and still having a lot of trouble coping with the fact that I would never be able to eat my favorite foods again (now at almost two years in I'm over it) she invited me over to her house for a "cookie party", at which there would be nothing I could eat and the entire point of the event was for people to try all these delicious gluten filled cookies. When I told her that I didn't think I would enjoy that she replied "If you don't come because of food, I'm sorry but that is totally lame. I give up sugar and stuff for Lent all the time. It's not big deal." Yeah...that's EXACTLY the same. Exactly. :rolleyes:

I missed this one a few days ago, but had to say, belatedly....

K, I think M is the sweetest kid for being so thoughtful of his Mom.

You "did good", mama. :)

My smarta$$ reply to "how do you have anything to eat?" is "Truffles, caviar, and champagne are gluten-free. I do just fine."

I tell them I drink lots of wine!

I don't like to eat out with friends when it's a place I can't eat as I still have trouble with embarrassment at bringing my own food, but it does happen from time to time. My friend told me that I should "never never ever have to feel embarrassed at bringing your own food". Ok, so tell me that after you have to do it yourself!

Well some people are just ignorant of celiac disease. And others are just plain ... stupid. Ha ha! I've had people say all kinds of stupid stuff to me too. My favorite is when someone who knows someone who knows someone who has celiac presumes to know more about celiac than I do. Ugh!

And at Kaiser pharmacy they always ask are you allergic to anything? I always say, I have celiac so I can't have any medications with gluten. They never seem to know what the f^%k I'm talking about. Do you have a reaction if you have gluten? they say next. Yes I have a reaction! First of all, why do they ask this? It makes me think they're going to give me gluten and they want to see if they can get away with it. One of them then followed up with "What happens if you have gluten?" I just stared at her and said, "I get sick." Maybe if I'd said, "I get horrible diarrhea and feel like crap and want to die!" maybe then they'd make sure there's no gluten in my meds. But probably not. Ha ha!

And there's the waitress who served me beer instead of cider even after she made a special note that I have celiac and can't have gluten. After she realized she screwed up, she got a little panicked. Are you feeling OK right now? Should I call an ambulance? No, but why don't you give me your number, I wanted to say, and I'll call you at 5 a.m. when I get really sick. :P