This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Seriously?

celiacgirl1982

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Wait, Cheetos brand cheetos are gluten free? I didn't know that! See, we ll learn something new every day!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pac Apprentice

"You can eat THAT, it's all natural, no chemicals in it."

"It's CHEESE cracker, you can surely eat those. I bought them for you."

Just recently my sweet mother-in-law, who just doesn't get the diet at all, brought back a bag of flour tortillas from the store asking: "You can eat those, no? It's just tortillas."

"But that is so DANGEROUS to eat gluten-free!" (I think because I would lack protein, but it was a few year ago so I don't remember.)

Some online health food store: "Gluten is dietetic fiber that is essential for human body. People that have to unfortunately avoid gluten cannot obtain enough dietetic fiber from natural food to make up for the lack of gluten in their diet and therefore need to buy special food supplements..."

Another invaluable piece of online information: "Due to lack of important vitamins and nutrients in gluten-free foods, people with celiac diet have to periodically eat gluten to avoid deficiencies." The missing nutrients included protein, fiber and almost all vitamins. I would almost swear I saw even B12 in the list.

genieb Newbie

I got a little bit of that at the beginning but not much. No one ever says anything like that anymore. Their mouths are usually too full eating my cooking to say anything. I entertain gluten free and send gluten free food to Bob's pot lucks at work and everyone loves it. Over the years I've learned it just easier to take care of ourselves than to expect others to understand.

Googles Community Regular

I haven't heard yet. But I am waiting to hear: "I got that gluten free pizza from Domino's for you so you can eat with us."

My dad is trying to convince me that my new work which makes food for a residential program will be able to feed me gluten free without making me sick. After I let him know that my boss stated that one of the benefits of working there was getting a free meal every day. Apparently I haven't clearly explained how easily cc can happen. Bah on gluten.

deb445 Rookie

My Mother-in-law cornered me last summer, and asked, "When are you going to let the boys eat REAL food?"

This, coming from a woman who is overweight, diabetic, epileptic, and has chronic "phantom gall bladder" attacks.

ElseB Contributor

Someone tried to tell me last week that pregnancy was a cure for Celiac Disease. This person supposedly had a friend who had Celiac, and then she got pregnant, had a baby and now she can eat gluten with no problems at all! So she suggested I should try getting pregnant "because you never know, it just might work". Had I been thinking faster, I should have asked her if pregnancy was also a cure for stupidity in which case she should perhaps give it a try!

Skittles Enthusiast

UGH reading these are just making me frustrated all over again! haha I have experienced most of them already and I have only been diagnosed and gluten free for a little over 2 months. I have a friend who is a "self diagnosed" celiac even though the tests said she was not. and I know, some people do get tested and it says they are not celiac but they do experience the same problems as celiacs. BUT basically the only things she doesn't eat is like bread, pizza, and some of the obvious foods and she complains about how it is so difficult. and my other friends see how strict I am being and think that I am over reacting and that it must really not be that bad because look at all of the things Amanda can have! And people also don't seem to understand food sensitivities. I have certain food sensitivities and they are like, "well it doesn't contain gluten" and "I think you are just being too conscious." AGHagdfl NO, do you think I would really be putting myself through this if I really could have a burger!! I would love to have a bowl of pasta but I know it will kill me for a week or more!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lfrost Explorer

We went to the Costco food court and I asked the gal if their Very Berry Smoothies were gluten free. She told me she didn't think so because they have sugar. :blink:

psawyer Proficient

We went to the Costco food court and I asked the gal if their Very Berry Smoothies were gluten free. She told me she didn't think so because they have sugar. :blink:

Siiigh. Not everyone can grasp the difference between gluten and glucose. Next, we'll be hearing that maltose and maltodextrin contain malt.

LeahBanicki Rookie

reading this is such great therapy... Thanks guys for cheering me up.

Skylark Collaborator

Siiigh. Not everyone can grasp the difference between gluten and glucose. Next, we'll be hearing that maltose and maltodextrin contain malt.

Don't forget the confusion with monosodium GLUTamate. :rolleyes: Been told I couldn't eat something because of MSG on the label too.

beebs Enthusiast

My neighbor A NURSE said...Oh, I could never do that, I love bread too much. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I said that to my mum, it has come back to bite me in the arse now though. Doh! Karma at it's best.

heathenly Apprentice

These have been making me laugh. Just being gluten-free for two+ weeks, I heard some of the funniest things. One of my close friends has decided, after hearing my list of symptoms on gluten, that she too has a problem tolerating gluten. She said this while shoving two tacos and a burrito in her mouth. It's amazing how many people think they too have a problem with gluten, and they want me to tell them everything about what can and can't be eaten, symptomology, etc. I had to learn from Google, please check there. I'm no authority.

Other people have been very sweet, telling me about this-or-that gluten-free product, or even buying products for me to try. One of my foodie friends has even taken it upon herself to try out gluten-free recipes and prepared foods, to make sure they're palatable. That makes up for the person last week who, at an office potluck, pointed to each individual dish and said, "Can you eat that? Can you eat that?" No, I can't. Thanks for rubbing it in.

Perhaps this is my karmic payback for telling lactose intolerant people, "I would DIE!"

dani nero Community Regular

friend: "tell me how the diet you're doing works, I also need to lose weight"

me: XD

another friend sent me some speech by some .. priest or shek about repelling devils which cause unexplained illnesses from the body.

~**caselynn**~ Enthusiast

Someone tried to tell me last week that pregnancy was a cure for Celiac Disease. This person supposedly had a friend who had Celiac, and then she got pregnant, had a baby and now she can eat gluten with no problems at all! So she suggested I should try getting pregnant "because you never know, it just might work". Had I been thinking faster, I should have asked her if pregnancy was also a cure for stupidity in which case she should perhaps give it a try!

If this were proven to be true I think there would be a population boom haha and I'll lead it off! But until then I think I'll stick to being gluten free ;)

notme Experienced

my friends are always quizzing me. yesterday, it was about soda.

friend: is soda gluten free?

me: i don't know. i don't drink soda.

friend: so you never checked?

me: nope. i wouldn't drink it anyway, so, i don't care.

friend: man. that would suck if soda had gluten (sympathetic look)

me: not for me :)

and i am also not a big junk snacker. i sure miss CRACKERS (writing a song: Ode to Ritz lolz) but i never was a chip eater or pretzel/cheeto snacker. but i am constantly having bags of snacks thrust at me: "can you eat this???" i read the bag and say: yup. and they're all happy and say: "here ya go, then, you can eat it!!" i don't *like* them. i wouldn't eat them even if i didn't have celiac. they mean well........

Adalaide Mentor

That just reminds me of something totally random. So, sometimes when you get up in the morning (this is especially true for smokers) you have this... taste in your mouth that is just yuck. It's kind of dry and just generally icky. I used to joke that it tasted like I licked a rhino's butt.

friend: can you have this?

me: well... I could

friend: here ya go! (gives rhino)

me: :blink:

Just because it's gluten free, doesn't mean we want to eat it. There are some things I just have no interest in eating.

bigbird16 Apprentice

Mom: I made this pasta special for your dad. You should try some.

Me: I can't. It's pasta.

Mom: What do you mean?

Me: I can't eat wheat, remember. Pasta is made from wheat.

Mom: It is? (moment of silence) How do you know?

Me: Look at the box, Mom.

Mom: (ignores box) Well this is special pasta. It's low carb. It's high in protein, low in carbs. All the bad stuff is taken out.

Me: It's still wheat. (examining box) And it has extra wheat gluten added.

Mom: Just a bite. For me. Just one.

Me: (roll eyes) I'm not hungry. And when I am I'll make my own rice noodles.

BTW, my mom is a nurse. We have the same discussion about pasta or bread almost every time I see her.

celiacgirl1982 Newbie

Don't forget the confusion with monosodium GLUTamate. :rolleyes: Been told I couldn't eat something because of MSG on the label too.

Clearly they are thinking of monosodium GLUTENate. ;-)

Monklady123 Collaborator

Re: the "glucose" and "gluten" confusion...

Me calling a local pizza place where we always used to get pizza:

Me: Hi, could you tell me if you have a gluten-free pizza?

Guy Answering the Phone: Ummm what?

Me: Do you offer a gluten-free pizza?

Guy: umm... glucose?

Me: Thank you. Bye.

:ph34r: :ph34r:

VydorScope Proficient

I feel a bit bad reading this thread, because all your posts are pretty funny! :unsure: But must have been really frustrating. We have not had that problem yet, most people are very understanding. Of course we bring all our own food, and I am NOT known for being gentle or soft on anything so just might be that they are afraid of me. :) (did I mention my entire family will become black belts in November? Yeah... that might help too LOL)

As for the comment about "flour" and "white bread" many a year a go... before becoming a father or a husband had you asked me the difference between "whole wheat bread" and "white bread" I might have said "one is made with flour, and one is made with whole wheat." Flour to people with out food issues is an ingredient. Its listed on recipes as "1 cup flour" and so on. So those questions do not surprise me, even if they are funny now.

heather806 Rookie

As for the comment about "flour" and "white bread" many a year a go... before becoming a father or a husband had you asked me the difference between "whole wheat bread" and "white bread" I might have said "one is made with flour, and one is made with whole wheat." Flour to people with out food issues is an ingredient. Its listed on recipes as "1 cup flour" and so on. So those questions do not surprise me, even if they are funny now.

So true! All most people know is that whole wheat bread is supposed to be healthier than "regular bread." When I told one of my coworkers I was diagnosed with Celiac she said they were ordering pizza the next day and she was excited to tell me they have whole wheat pizza that I could eat. :) It was very sweet that she was excited about finding something she thought I could have, she just didn't quite understand what gluten is.

I never knew it could be in soy sauce, bbq sauces, canned chicken broth or things like that...never crossed my mind before being diagnosed.

So true! All most people know is that whole wheat bread is supposed to be healthier than "regular bread." When I told one of my coworkers I was diagnosed with Celiac she said they were ordering pizza the next day and she was excited to tell me they have whole wheat pizza that I could eat. :) It was very sweet that she was excited about finding something she thought I could have, she just didn't quite understand what gluten is.

I never knew it could be in soy sauce, bbq sauces, canned chicken broth or things like that...never crossed my mind before being diagnosed.

Isn't it just amazing the places you find gluten once you are forced to stop and look? I would never have guessed any of those either before!

slee11211 Apprentice

My son's friend's mom: " How are you? I know you haven't been well lately" Me: "Getting better, thanks. Found out I was full blown Celiac, so no more gluten for me. It's been really hard to get used to." "Really!? Because I went totally gluten free to get 'bikini ready' for our trip and it's SOOO easy!" Blank stare. (in my head: "Assholes wear bikinis??") Sigh. Celiac makes me cranky.

Blank stare. (in my head: "Assholes wear bikinis??") Sigh. Celiac makes me cranky.

Heehee I just LOL'd!! Love it! ?

Archived