70 replies to this topic

#31 ElseB

ElseB

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:09 AM

Someone tried to tell me last week that pregnancy was a cure for Celiac Disease. This person supposedly had a friend who had Celiac, and then she got pregnant, had a baby and now she can eat gluten with no problems at all! So she suggested I should try getting pregnant "because you never know, it just might work". Had I been thinking faster, I should have asked her if pregnancy was also a cure for stupidity in which case she should perhaps give it a try!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 Skittles

Skittles

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:17 AM

UGH reading these are just making me frustrated all over again! haha I have experienced most of them already and I have only been diagnosed and gluten free for a little over 2 months. I have a friend who is a "self diagnosed" celiac even though the tests said she was not. and I know, some people do get tested and it says they are not celiac but they do experience the same problems as celiacs. BUT basically the only things she doesn't eat is like bread, pizza, and some of the obvious foods and she complains about how it is so difficult. and my other friends see how strict I am being and think that I am over reacting and that it must really not be that bad because look at all of the things Amanda can have! And people also don't seem to understand food sensitivities. I have certain food sensitivities and they are like, "well it doesn't contain gluten" and "I think you are just being too conscious." AGHagdfl NO, do you think I would really be putting myself through this if I really could have a burger!! I would love to have a bowl of pasta but I know it will kill me for a week or more!
Diagnosed with celiac by blood test in the beginning of April 2012 and confirmed with endoscopy April 20th 2012.
Gluten free since May 2012 (for 5 months.. relapsed for about a month and have been gluten free again since Nov 2012)
Corn & corn syrup free since May 2012
Dairy limited since Aug 2012
Nightshades limited since Aug 2012

Fructose limited since Nov 2012

#33 Lfrost

Lfrost

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:52 PM

We went to the Costco food court and I asked the gal if their Very Berry Smoothies were gluten free. She told me she didn't think so because they have sugar. :blink:

#34 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:34 PM

We went to the Costco food court and I asked the gal if their Very Berry Smoothies were gluten free. She told me she didn't think so because they have sugar. :blink:

Siiigh. Not everyone can grasp the difference between gluten and glucose. Next, we'll be hearing that maltose and maltodextrin contain malt.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#35 LeahBanicki

LeahBanicki

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 06:03 PM

reading this is such great therapy... Thanks guys for cheering me up.

- Leah Banicki -

Writer, Wife and Mother.

Gluten free since 10/28/10

#36 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:33 PM

Siiigh. Not everyone can grasp the difference between gluten and glucose. Next, we'll be hearing that maltose and maltodextrin contain malt.

Don't forget the confusion with monosodium GLUTamate. :rolleyes: Been told I couldn't eat something because of MSG on the label too.

#37 beebs

beebs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:20 AM

My neighbor A NURSE said...Oh, I could never do that, I love bread too much. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I said that to my mum, it has come back to bite me in the arse now though. Doh! Karma at it's best.
HLA DQ8, gluten-free since January 2011

#38 heathenly

heathenly

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:07 AM

These have been making me laugh. Just being gluten-free for two+ weeks, I heard some of the funniest things. One of my close friends has decided, after hearing my list of symptoms on gluten, that she too has a problem tolerating gluten. She said this while shoving two tacos and a burrito in her mouth. It's amazing how many people think they too have a problem with gluten, and they want me to tell them everything about what can and can't be eaten, symptomology, etc. I had to learn from Google, please check there. I'm no authority.

Other people have been very sweet, telling me about this-or-that gluten-free product, or even buying products for me to try. One of my foodie friends has even taken it upon herself to try out gluten-free recipes and prepared foods, to make sure they're palatable. That makes up for the person last week who, at an office potluck, pointed to each individual dish and said, "Can you eat that? Can you eat that?" No, I can't. Thanks for rubbing it in.

Perhaps this is my karmic payback for telling lactose intolerant people, "I would DIE!"

#39 dani nero

dani nero

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:36 PM

friend: "tell me how the diet you're doing works, I also need to lose weight"
me: XD

another friend sent me some speech by some .. priest or shek about repelling devils which cause unexplained illnesses from the body.
Self diagnosed January 2012, and on elimination, low-salicylate & low-iodine diet.
Also G6PD

#40 ~**caselynn**~

~**caselynn**~

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:41 PM

Someone tried to tell me last week that pregnancy was a cure for Celiac Disease. This person supposedly had a friend who had Celiac, and then she got pregnant, had a baby and now she can eat gluten with no problems at all! So she suggested I should try getting pregnant "because you never know, it just might work". Had I been thinking faster, I should have asked her if pregnancy was also a cure for stupidity in which case she should perhaps give it a try!

If this were proven to be true I think there would be a population boom haha and I'll lead it off! But until then I think I'll stick to being gluten free ;)
~**caselynn**~

#41 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:00 AM

my friends are always quizzing me. yesterday, it was about soda.

friend: is soda gluten free?
me: i don't know. i don't drink soda.
friend: so you never checked?
me: nope. i wouldn't drink it anyway, so, i don't care.
friend: man. that would suck if soda had gluten (sympathetic look)
me: not for me :)

and i am also not a big junk snacker. i sure miss CRACKERS (writing a song: Ode to Ritz lolz) but i never was a chip eater or pretzel/cheeto snacker. but i am constantly having bags of snacks thrust at me: "can you eat this???" i read the bag and say: yup. and they're all happy and say: "here ya go, then, you can eat it!!" i don't *like* them. i wouldn't eat them even if i didn't have celiac. they mean well........

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#42 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:21 AM

That just reminds me of something totally random. So, sometimes when you get up in the morning (this is especially true for smokers) you have this... taste in your mouth that is just yuck. It's kind of dry and just generally icky. I used to joke that it tasted like I licked a rhino's butt.

friend: can you have this?
me: well... I could
friend: here ya go! (gives rhino)
me: :blink:

Just because it's gluten free, doesn't mean we want to eat it. There are some things I just have no interest in eating.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#43 bigbird16

bigbird16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:24 AM

Mom: I made this pasta special for your dad. You should try some.
Me: I can't. It's pasta.
Mom: What do you mean?
Me: I can't eat wheat, remember. Pasta is made from wheat.
Mom: It is? (moment of silence) How do you know?
Me: Look at the box, Mom.
Mom: (ignores box) Well this is special pasta. It's low carb. It's high in protein, low in carbs. All the bad stuff is taken out.
Me: It's still wheat. (examining box) And it has extra wheat gluten added.
Mom: Just a bite. For me. Just one.
Me: (roll eyes) I'm not hungry. And when I am I'll make my own rice noodles.

BTW, my mom is a nurse. We have the same discussion about pasta or bread almost every time I see her.
Migraines, ataxia, peripheral neuropathy, anxiety, paranoia, joint pain, vivid nightmares, exhaustion & lethargy, brain fog, bloat, GI issues--all gone or significantly reduced since dietary changes were made

Gluten-free (Nov. 2008), dairy-free (June 2009), soy-free (Aug. 2009), all-grains-and-grasses-but-rice-free (Nov. 2011); double HLA-DQ7

"'Always remember, Bilbo, when your heart wants lifting, think of pleasant things.' 'Eggs, bacon, a good full pipe, my garden at twilight....'" (The Hobbit, animated movie, 1977)

#44 celiacgirl1982

celiacgirl1982

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:00 AM

Don't forget the confusion with monosodium GLUTamate. :rolleyes: Been told I couldn't eat something because of MSG on the label too.

Clearly they are thinking of monosodium GLUTENate. ;-)

#45 Monklady123

Monklady123

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:19 PM

Re: the "glucose" and "gluten" confusion...

Me calling a local pizza place where we always used to get pizza:

Me: Hi, could you tell me if you have a gluten-free pizza?

Guy Answering the Phone: Ummm what?

Me: Do you offer a gluten-free pizza?

Guy: umm... glucose?

Me: Thank you. Bye.

:ph34r: :ph34r:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: