70 replies to this topic

#61 sallyalewis

sallyalewis

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:14 PM

On vacation in Myrtle Beach with the extended family this week.

Waiter : So what happens when you eat gluten?
Me : Well, sometimes I get a migraine, or all over body ache, or you might never get me out of your restroom!

Guessing the waiter won't ask anyone else that question!
Gluten Free since 2/12.
Self/Doctor diagnosed.
No testing done.
Allergic to everything else! - verified by allergist
Rosacea

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#62 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:55 AM

Most of our friends are SO kind and concerned, but get confused.

"You can't eat that... it contains whey." Um... it's wheat I can't have, not whey.

I walked past a bake sale and had to say... to the sales pitch... "Would you believe there's not one thing there I can eat?" They asked about celiac and said, "Oh you poor dear. WHAT do you eat?" I looked down at my overweight self and said with a chuckle, "Um... do I look like I'm starving??" Ha ha.

Long ago I responded to my friend's sort of impatience... "Can't you just eat a little??" "Um... can YOU just eat a little rat poison??"
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#63 lewiss

lewiss

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:17 AM

My neighbor A NURSE said...Oh, I could never do that, I love bread too much. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

A friend said but your are raised in the prarie country, where wheat is grown, and bread is a staple, after he told me his daughter has been diagnosed with celiac disease. :rolleyes:

#64 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:28 PM

My oldest daughter very obviously (to me) has celiac. She also believes this to be the case. Unfortunately her father has custody of her and like me she is an awesome test taker and her blood tests came back negative so her father and stepmother are not keeping her on a gluten free diet. They hadn't found or eliminated all of the gluten successfully, but she was feeling a whole lot better more or less off gluten.

Anyway, they won't let her get an endoscopy. Why? "We just don't feel like it's safe to let a little girl have a scope put down her throat like that." But they'll let her eat wheat?! That's safe?! Her and I count the months until she leaves for college.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#65 LauraB0927

LauraB0927

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:57 PM

During my struggles adjusting to the new diet (keep in mind I was super cranky from the withdrawal), my aunt found out I was diagnosed. Her reply to me was, "Oh! Well that's not a big deal! All you have to do it change your diet! All of your cousin's friends are going gluten free - its the new thing!!"

Oh really? That's ALL I have to do?? You're lucky we were speaking on the phone cause you were about to get a knock in your teeth....Your daughter's friends are ordering salads without croutons and claiming they are gluten free - they're still eating cheesecake in the middle of the night when no one is looking...

"Dark and difficult times lie ahead ahead - soon we must all face the choice, to do what is right, or what is easy..." - Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter)

Diagnosed Celiac in May 2012 by TTG level and endoscopy
Acid reflux/GERD (stopped since eating gluten-free)
Syncope
Raynaud's Syndrome
Iron Deficient

#66 ~**caselynn**~

~**caselynn**~

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:17 PM

During my struggles adjusting to the new diet (keep in mind I was super cranky from the withdrawal), my aunt found out I was diagnosed. Her reply to me was, "Oh! Well that's not a big deal! All you have to do it change your diet! All of your cousin's friends are going gluten free - its the new thing!!"

Oh really? That's ALL I have to do?? You're lucky we were speaking on the phone cause you were about to get a knock in your teeth....Your daughter's friends are ordering salads without croutons and claiming they are gluten free - they're still eating cheesecake in the middle of the night when no one is looking...

Yummm cheesecake 😄 funny how something's catch your attention, huh??
~**caselynn**~

#67 melikamaui

melikamaui

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:11 AM

The worst comment I've ever gotten was from a friend. When I was newly diagnosed and still having a lot of trouble coping with the fact that I would never be able to eat my favorite foods again (now at almost two years in I'm over it) she invited me over to her house for a "cookie party", at which there would be nothing I could eat and the entire point of the event was for people to try all these delicious gluten filled cookies. When I told her that I didn't think I would enjoy that she replied "If you don't come because of food, I'm sorry but that is totally lame. I give up sugar and stuff for Lent all the time. It's not big deal." Yeah...that's EXACTLY the same. Exactly. :rolleyes:

#68 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:13 AM

That's funny. M is the Gluten Police. He will take things out of my hands to read the ingredients if he thinks they have wheat in them. He stops people from helping themselves to chips until he is sure I have had some.

I missed this one a few days ago, but had to say, belatedly....
K, I think M is the sweetest kid for being so thoughtful of his Mom.

You "did good", mama. :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#69 cap6

cap6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:47 PM

My smarta$$ reply to "how do you have anything to eat?" is "Truffles, caviar, and champagne are gluten-free. I do just fine."

I tell them I drink lots of wine!

#70 cap6

cap6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:52 PM

I don't like to eat out with friends when it's a place I can't eat as I still have trouble with embarrassment at bringing my own food, but it does happen from time to time. My friend told me that I should "never never ever have to feel embarrassed at bringing your own food". Ok, so tell me that after you have to do it yourself!

#71 Marie1976

Marie1976

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:41 AM

Well some people are just ignorant of celiac disease. And others are just plain ... stupid. Ha ha! I've had people say all kinds of stupid stuff to me too. My favorite is when someone who knows someone who knows someone who has celiac presumes to know more about celiac than I do. Ugh!

And at Kaiser pharmacy they always ask are you allergic to anything? I always say, I have celiac so I can't have any medications with gluten. They never seem to know what the f^%k I'm talking about. Do you have a reaction if you have gluten? they say next. Yes I have a reaction! First of all, why do they ask this? It makes me think they're going to give me gluten and they want to see if they can get away with it. One of them then followed up with "What happens if you have gluten?" I just stared at her and said, "I get sick." Maybe if I'd said, "I get horrible diarrhea and feel like crap and want to die!" maybe then they'd make sure there's no gluten in my meds. But probably not. Ha ha!

And there's the waitress who served me beer instead of cider even after she made a special note that I have celiac and can't have gluten. After she realized she screwed up, she got a little panicked. Are you feeling OK right now? Should I call an ambulance? No, but why don't you give me your number, I wanted to say, and I'll call you at 5 a.m. when I get really sick. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: