8 replies to this topic

#1 redgouramis

redgouramis

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:14 PM

I was finally diagnosed as having celiac sprue with DH about 2 years ago by a chiropractor specially trained in muscle testing. I am curious, however, if anyone on this blog has found they have other auto-immune disorders? I already know I have low insulin and low thyroid and have migraine headaches with an aura. I take a supplement daily, one which dilates the veins and another which constricts the veins to prevent the migraines. Anyone else on this blog have this problem? Also, how do we find out if we have other auto immune disorders?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:17 PM

I was finally diagnosed as having celiac sprue with DH about 2 years ago by a chiropractor specially trained in muscle testing. I am curious, however, if anyone on this blog has found they have other auto-immune disorders? I already know I have low insulin and low thyroid and have migraine headaches with an aura. I take a supplement daily, one which dilates the veins and another which constricts the veins to prevent the migraines. Anyone else on this blog have this problem? Also, how do we find out if we have other auto immune disorders?

Hello and welcome! Have you been tested by a medical doctor or had a metabolic panel done? Have you had a full Celiac Panel taken?

Other auto immune issues are common. I would suggest you see a medical doctor, not a chiropractor.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:37 PM

Welcome!

I agree with Lisa.

Sorry, but Celiac is not diagnosed by a chiropractor or by muscle testing. There is no scientific or medical evidence to support this practice.

Celiac is DXed by blood panels and/or biopsy, medical history and genetic testing.

DH is DXed by biopsy of the area around the lesions.

You should be evaluated by a medical doctor who is knowledgeable about celiac disease so you can be tested for this and other AI diseases. See a Celiac-savvy GI or an endocrinologist.

But, yes to answer your question, many AI diseases are associated with celiac disease.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:13 PM

It's not that hard to identify DH. Blisters? Itches like a SOB? Goes away off gluten? Bingo. ;)

I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease, which is autoimmune. There is a blood test for it. I don't know much about adult onset type 1 diabetes but I know that it's possible. Sounds like you need an endocrinologist, not a chiro.

#5 SarahJimMarcy

SarahJimMarcy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:42 AM

I have a hypothyroid.
Daughter diagnosed with celiac via endoscopy, April, 2011.
Mom, Dad and daughter all go gluten free.
We live in the Twin Cities, MN.

#6 beachbirdie

beachbirdie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:37 PM

Yes, lots of people with celiac can have other autoimmune disorders. Autoimmune thyroid (Graves or Hashimoto's) are very common, as is Type 1 Diabetes. There are others that don't happen quite as often. I think autoimmune hepatitis is another one.

One specific test they can run is the anti-nuclear antibodies (ANA) which is a measure of autoimmunity but not specific for any disease. Usually an endocrinologist, rheumatologist, or GP would order them, don't know about chiropractor. Otherwise they can run more disease-specific tests, but then they'd want to do that on the basis of symptoms. Unless of course you're paying out of pocket. If there's no insurance company to fight with you might get a whole array of testing done...go to a place like Lab Tests Online for more information about tests and what they look for.

There are lots of us with more than one autoimmune condition. <_<
1999 - Hypothyroid
2003 - Hashimoto's Disease
2008 - Diverticulitis
2009 - Significant Vit D Deficiency
2011 - Diverticulitis again
2011 - HLA-DQ2.2
2012 - TtG IgG positive... I am now, finally, Gluten Free - 5/16/2012

#7 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,505 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:38 PM

I take a supplement daily, one which dilates the veins and another which constricts the veins to prevent the migraines. .... Also, how do we find out if we have other auto immune disorders?

Those two meds sound contradictory... tricky.

I have idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura ITP), which is a bleeding disorder in which the immune system destroys platelets (for blood clotting). I found out when... well, I wouldn't stop bleeding. :P I've heard ITP is linked to celiac but I'm not positive. For other disorders, you would have to test for tem specifically if they are suspected.

Good luck.
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#8 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:19 AM

Those two meds sound contradictory... tricky.

I have idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura ITP), which is a bleeding disorder in which the immune system destroys platelets (for blood clotting). I found out when... well, I wouldn't stop bleeding. :P I've heard ITP is linked to celiac but I'm not positive. For other disorders, you would have to test for tem specifically if they are suspected.

Good luck.

In this list of diseases and disorders associated with celiac disease, ITP is indeed listed---look under blood disorders. Just FYI.

http://www.recognizi...ase.com/21.html

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#9 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,505 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:09 AM

In this list of diseases and disorders associated with celiac disease, ITP is indeed listed---look under blood disorders. Just FYI.

http://www.recognizi...ase.com/21.html

Thanks, IrishHeart. I've heard they think there is a link, I just haven't found that they've proved it definitively... But I believe it probably is linked.

It's just so annoying to know that this other problem (ITP), that almost killed me, could have been prevented if my childhood doctors had been a bit sharper about my symptoms! I'm sure a LOT of people around here are in the same boat as me. :unsure:
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: