This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

3 Questions

portulaca

portulaca Newbie

Few Celiac Kid questions. 1st, celiac daughter interested in going Veg. We won't eliminate meat altogether for her until she is older - but any recomendations for gluten-free Veg. resources - recipes, websites and nutrition? She has a wide palate. 2nd, she is low in Vit. D. anyone know if this is common w. Celiac Disease? 3rd. Looking to upgrade phones, any opinions on gluten-free Droid app vs. Iphone gluten-free app?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

StephanieL Enthusiast

I can only answer question 2 for you. Vit.D deficiency is very common overall, not just the Celiac community. Depending on where you live (I am in northern Ohio) MOST people are low in D.

veruca Newbie

I have an iPhone and I frequently use the following apps 1) is that Gluten Free? and 2) Find me Gluten Free. The first one is a repository of product information. I use it constantly when I'm shopping to ascertain whether or not specific brands are safe. It is really helpful and has the info about specific flavors as well.

I use Find me gluten free when I travel and even around my own city to locate gluten-free restaurants. Last summer I was in upstate NY and found some diner style place with a bakery that was totally gluten free. I had chicken fingers and mozzarella sticks. I didn't even know I missed those!

1974girl Enthusiast

1 )I have no idea. Sorry. We would starve if my dd had to eat veggies. She hates them and I have to practically force them down her.

2)I haven't had my daughter's vitamin level checked but my mom's doctor told me he has not seen one person come back without a vitamin D problem. This is just a regular doctor. But...since celiacs can often go with increased risk of Type 1 diabetes (my husband!), there are several studies that show 1000mg of Vitamin D may prevent it. The rate of diabetes is higher the farther you get from the equator leading them to think the sun may have something to do with it. In Finland where they stay bundled up, it is very high. So I give my DDs (both) vitamin D suppliments. The recommended dose for a child is 400 but the video I watched said to try to stop diabetes, it should be 1000mg.

3)If you are new to this thing... I lived with scanavert for my Iphone for the first few months. You can mark what you are allergic to (gluten) and then it has a barcode scanner. It will tell you what is safe and what is not. It will even tell you drug interactions if you have any. It is $1.99 a month or $9.99 for 6 months. It was a lifesaver and I used it for about 3 months until I felt comfortable reading labels. There were a few times I missed it and the scanner caught it.(stupid malt flavoring!) I think this should be maditory at diagnosis. HA HA!

I also have Glutenless Dining and Find me Gluten Free. Do not get gluten-free Fast Food. It was flat out wrong. It said Hardees Hashrounds were gluten free and the manager said they were most certainly not. So skip that one.

Archived