25 replies to this topic

#1 jenhunter

jenhunter

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:51 AM

I was diagnosed with being gluten intolerant about a month ago. I immediately stopped eating gluten and went on a strict gluten free diet. almost instantly i noticed a huge difference in the appearance of my stomach (i wasn't bloated). i don't have those constant stabbing pains i used to get, and i am no longer in a ton of pain after eating meals. however, i am still constipated. i will go 4 days without going and when i finally do - its hardly anything. one week i will go once a day everyday, and the next week i wont go for 4-5 days straight! the week that i was on my period - i went everyday and have never felt so good! (sorry if that's a little TMI) i decided to take a tablespoon of metamucil last night and woke up with diarrhea and now i feel all bloated and gross feeling again. does/did anyone ever have issues like this? i would LOVE to know some ways to help me become regular. the days i do go, i feel amazing. and the days i don't go - i am so uncomfortable. sorry if its a little too much info but i am desperate for some guidance since my doctor frankly couldn't care less.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 gonnabeglutenfree

gonnabeglutenfree

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:17 AM

I was diagnosed with being gluten intolerant about a month ago. I immediately stopped eating gluten and went on a strict gluten free diet. almost instantly i noticed a huge difference in the appearance of my stomach (i wasn't bloated). i don't have those constant stabbing pains i used to get, and i am no longer in a ton of pain after eating meals. however, i am still constipated. i will go 4 days without going and when i finally do - its hardly anything. one week i will go once a day everyday, and the next week i wont go for 4-5 days straight! the week that i was on my period - i went everyday and have never felt so good! (sorry if that's a little TMI) i decided to take a tablespoon of metamucil last night and woke up with diarrhea and now i feel all bloated and gross feeling again. does/did anyone ever have issues like this? i would LOVE to know some ways to help me become regular. the days i do go, i feel amazing. and the days i don't go - i am so uncomfortable. sorry if its a little too much info but i am desperate for some guidance since my doctor frankly couldn't care less.

This is my first week gluten-free and am experiencing similar.
Though, I was having these same issues before and know it sometimes takes weeks for your GI system to catch up to the changes you have made.

I will be traveling all week and plan to add in a natural/organic Psyllium Husk powder (going easy on it for the first few days to get used to it - then adding more if needed).
This has helped me in the past when I was desperate to "GO".

My thought is that once you switch to gluten-free, you are naturally avoiding breads/grains than your diet before (rightly so because it made you feel sick) so getting extra fiber from somewhere might help. And of course eating more roughage can help, but can also cause "IBS"-like symptoms if your body is not used to it yet.

My dietician has me on a digestive enzyme to help with the new changes and recommended fiber if needed so hope it works and will be more gentle than Metamucil. It might take a few different products to try before you find the right one for your body.

#3 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:25 AM

I suggest a Tablespoon of ground flaxseed in 16 oz. of water morning and night for a week and upping your intake of fibrous veggies.

Use the ground flaxseed in smoothies, baked goods, or in yogurt or cottage cheese. (if you tolerate dairy)

Drink a lot of water. Unless you have another condition or disease, often lack of water in the system is a contributing factor to C.

You'll level off. Hang in there!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4 jenhunter

jenhunter

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:27 AM

I suggest a Tablespoon of ground flaxseed in 16 oz. of water morning and night for a week and upping your intake of fibrous veggies.

Use the ground flaxseed in smoothies, baked goods, or in yogurt cottage cheese.

Drink a lot of water. Unless you have another condition or disease, often lack of water in the system is a contributing factor to C.

You'll level off. Hang in there!

i'll have to try the flaxseed approach. i drink about 1.5-2 liters of water a day and i get bloated from eating veggies! i am not sure if its bc my body is still recovering from the gluten or what.

#5 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:31 AM

i'll have to try the flaxseed approach. i drink about 1.5-2 liters of water a day and i get bloated from eating veggies! i am not sure if its bc my body is still recovering from the gluten or what.

Steam or cook the veggies --instead of eating them raw until your gut feels better.

Yes, anything is possible until your gut heals.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#6 Hornet

Hornet

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:35 AM

I have always been constipated since before I became gluten intolerant. I take a Maalox type product 1-2 x daily and milk of magnesia at night. Sometimes it works and others not. There is Smoothe Mive Tea that hasSenna ion it. The longer you steep it the more you'll go. I had an allergic reaction to the senna. Activated charcoal helps with gas and bloat. Take 2 1 hr before or after meds-not with anything else. Always ask your did if any of these are safe for you. Better to drink 8 glasses if water to get things moving. I have slow motility so I don't digest quickly or well. Good luck

#7 loco_ladi

loco_ladi

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:20 AM

It takes a while to adjust your body and mind to the new diet, when you do get used to it you will learn to adjust your diet to what your body needs... when i get constipated I eat a big ole salad the next morning no more being "backed up"... when it get to loosey juicey then I cut back on the veggies and eat more meat... stick with it... in the end its worth all the troubles you face at the begining... and dont forget to check toothpaste, shampoo, makeup and all medication for gluten as well... its one of the easiest overlooked areas!
Just my .00000002 cents worth
If I knew what I was doing years ago I would have half a clue today!

#8 ShannonA

ShannonA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:50 PM

My nutritionist that I'm seeing has me on LBS II (lower bowel stimulant) by Nature Sunshine & it has helped me tremendously. I get it at my local health store. I take 3 capsules in the evening & drink something warm in the morning and usually go. If not by noon I take 2 more & it's herbal not more medicine.

#9 jenhunter

jenhunter

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:22 AM

My nutritionist that I'm seeing has me on LBS II (lower bowel stimulant) by Nature Sunshine & it has helped me tremendously. I get it at my local health store. I take 3 capsules in the evening & drink something warm in the morning and usually go. If not by noon I take 2 more & it's herbal not more medicine.

i just ordered the pills from amazon bc the local health stores do not sell it where i am (sprouts, whole foods, lassens). is it easy on your stomach? i've been taking metamucil and i just get really bloated and gassy and i hate that uncomfortable feeling! thanks for your help!!!

#10 ShannonA

ShannonA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:37 PM

Yeah Metamucil did same for me. LBS works fine for me except one day I took about 7 throughout the day bc I didn't go in a couple of days, well the next day I stayed in the restroom all morning. :D I was being impatient & I guess I learned my lesson. I also drink a cup of room temperature water when I wake up then my coffee. It'll work for you!

#11 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:56 PM

Guys, seriously??....lower bowel stimulants and various chemicals and dependency on them to "make you go"--- is not really healthy.

Water. Lots of water.

Start your day with 16 oz. of water.

Please, just try the ground flaxseed meal in water instead of those OTC preps that will wipe out your entire gut flora.

That stuff is designed for colonoscopy preps.

loci__ladi and I agree. FOOD is your best "propellant"

Salads, fruit.

Make a fruit smoothie! Lots of blueberries, bananas, pineapple, kale, mango, ground flax....with a little coconut milk. If you don't shite your brains out, I'll be stunned.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#12 jenhunter

jenhunter

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:40 PM

Guys, seriously??....lower bowel stimulants and various chemicals and dependency on them to "make you go"--- is not really healthy.

Water. Lots of water.

Start your day with 16 oz. of water.

Please, just try the ground flaxseed meal in water instead of those OTC preps that will wipe out your entire gut flora.

That stuff is designed for colonoscopy preps.

loci__ladi and I agree. FOOD is your best "propellant"

Salads, fruit.

Make a fruit smoothie! Lots of blueberries, bananas, pineapple, kale, mango, ground flax....with a little coconut milk. If you don't shite your brains out, I'll be stunned.

i drink 2 liters of water a day, sometimes more depending on how hard i work out. i drink a protein smoothie that contains a vegan protein (gluten-free obviously), bananas, blueberries, strawberries and almond milk. i eat other fruits and vegetables throughout the day. i eat oatmeal in the morning. i've made a fruit smoothie similar to the one you listed (minus the kale, i had spinach in mine) and i didn't go to the bathroom. i eat a salad or two everyday that includes healthy fats as well as good protein. to me, i see no other choice. my body needs to go to the bathroom and i am simply constantly backed up. i have called my dr 3 times in the past 3 weeks to get in to see a gastro and have gotten no response. i'm sorry, but with the way i eat - there is NO reason why i should be going to the bathroom 2-3 times a week

#13 RonSchon

RonSchon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:27 PM

I agree with what you are saying Jen, and I'm only 10 days in - but it is 100% for those 10 days, not 99.9%.

I would hope that things would start moving more regularly, but recognize that the intestinal villi take time to heal.

I'll be waiting at least 4 months before I start changing my approach.

I drink a lot of water, and have a lot of food that should make me regular, if I don't self-repair I will look at engaging in more testing.

I know how painful and stressful it is, but we'll get there.

#14 Alexa

Alexa

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:39 PM

Have you tried Miralax? Yogurt helps too.

#15 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:53 AM

i'm sorry, but with the way i eat - there is NO reason why i should be going to the bathroom 2-3 times a week

Are you Newly diagnosed?

Do you take digestive enzymes? probiotics? These will help.

Ditch the oatmeal. Even if it's certified gluten-free. Celiacs have a tough time digesting it until their guts are healed. Could be 1-2 years for that to happen.

Dairy could be backing you up. (cheese, in particular, if you are intolerant of that right now)

Are those vegetables RAW? that could also be a problem. Lightly steam them.

If you do not regulate in a few weeks, ask the GI doc to run a small bowel follow through to see if there is an obstruction or something else going on.

Hypothyroidism will also give you major C-- but if you are not exhibiting other hypo symptoms, and your thyroid panels are normal, do not worry about that.

But, if you are newly DXed, C and D are common ailments for us and until your gut heals and the bowels begin to work as they should, you may have alternating bowel symptoms.

I'm sorry, hon (I know, I LIVED it for years).
Hang in there.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: