#16 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:00 PM

eggs?

I love eggs! I have them every day for breakfast.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:02 PM

Any of the Namaste products? http://www.namastefo...gory_Id=3&Id=23

http://www.namastefo...i?Category_Id=2
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#18 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:02 PM

If you want some potato chips, try Cape Cod chips?

Dedicated facility and made with canola oil, not corn or soybean oil.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#19 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,123 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:11 PM

What about seeds? They aren't nuts. Would have to check if they are cooked in corn oil. You might be able to get raw and toast them in the oven. We have done that with pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds.
Do you like sunnut butter? On apples?

Hummus and dip carrots and cukes? Homemade salsa and dip celery or cukes or those jicama things cut into strips? Same with guacamole.

Popsicles? Could even make your own with juice you like or fresh lemons, sugar and water. Could mess around with the fresh fruits mushed and frozen into Popsicles. You could eat it out of a bowl but it doesn't seem as snacky as a Popsicle.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#20 beachbirdie

beachbirdie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:44 PM

Hiya,
I am going nuts eating only meat, vegetables and fruit. I am gluten, dairy, nut (including coconut) and corn free. Xanthan gum comes from corn so I can't have any of the packaged things. I can't have chips because they are fried in corn oil or they are cc with corn. I am not trying to complain, I am just starting to get D from all of the fruit that I eat. I can go through a whole watermelon by myself in 2 days. There has got to be something else for a snack besides fruit.

I cried at the grocery store today because I am having my monthly visitor and I just want some chocolate or a cookie or a chip or something! The lady in front of my had all of the makings for chocolate chip cookies in her cart. I seriously cried all the way home.

Any ideas?

Thanks

- MO

Do you need to avoid soy? There are some wheat-free,corn-free, dairy-free chocolates out there, but the ones I've found have soy.

http://www.sunspire....et-baking-chips

http://www.choclat.com/

Obviously focusing in chocolate here! I cannot imagine life without chocolate in it.

Are you okay with rice and flax? Perhaps you could make something like a rice krispy treat with enjoy life's crunchy flax cereal or crunchy rice cereal (used to be "Perky's" brand) using those corn-free marshmallows.a

Just for crunch, I love rice cakes or crackers, Crunchmaster makes wonderful tamari rice crackers and also lundberg makes good rice cakes which I like with home-made hummus.
1999 - Hypothyroid
2003 - Hashimoto's Disease
2008 - Diverticulitis
2009 - Significant Vit D Deficiency
2011 - Diverticulitis again
2011 - HLA-DQ2.2
2012 - TtG IgG positive... I am now, finally, Gluten Free - 5/16/2012

#21 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:04 PM

Wow, thanks all of you for the great ideas! I knew that you would come up with something for me. :) I really appreciate it so much. I'm going to print this thread and make of list of my new snacks. :)

#22 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,123 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:39 PM

What about these? http://www.celiac.co...ookiescrackers/

You could make them with Hemp seed, fox and/ or sun flower seeds, pumpkin seeds. Or a mix. Might have to experiment.

Edit:
"fox"? Spellcheck, really? Flax changed to fox? I guess Spell check has a point, fox would add a unique flavor and you probably aren't intolerant or allergic to fox meat! :)

Edited by kareng, 06 July 2012 - 01:42 PM.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#23 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:52 PM

What about these? http://www.celiac.co...ookiescrackers/

You could make them with Hemp seed, fox and/ or sun flower seeds, pumpkin seeds. Or a mix. Might have to experiment.

Edit:
"fox"? Spellcheck, really? Flax changed to fox? I guess Spell check has a point, fox would add a unique flavor and you probably aren't intolerant or allergic to fox meat! :)

Mmmmm..Love me some fox meat. ha!

Thanks for that recipe link. I'll check it out. You are full of great ideas. :)

#24 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:55 PM

Maybe make some Popsicles?

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

hairy-spider-smiley-emoticon.gif

#25 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:57 PM

Maybe make some Popsicles?

I am going to do just that. I had to search the basement for my tupperware popsicle mold and found it. As soon as I make some lemonade, I am going to freeze some.

#26 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:39 PM

One of my favourite snacks is spicy lime roasted chickpeas. They become crispy and so good.

How about making your own chips? There is this new product on the market called a Chipster that goes into the microwave. Simply slice your potatoes, season and place on this thing and the chips become crispy. I like to do them in the oven but that requires added fat whereas the Chipster (and there is a larger thing like a Chipster only a different brand) does not.

Do you like pumpkin seeds (pepitas)? I season and roast. They are delicous, crunchy and addictive. Great sprinkled on salads and soups.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#27 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:14 PM

I get olive oil fried potato chips from Trader Joes, I LOVE them! Can make them at home, but much easier to buy a bag! Or six...

From what you posted from the EJ website, only the chocolate bars have the not-ok sugar in them. Maybe the chocolate chips are ok? I lurvs the chocolate chips! The website says they label anything that might have corn. Also, you could get unprocessed unsweetened baker's chocolate, maybe, and sweeten it yourself?
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#28 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:51 PM

Beans? Eggs? You can make crackers from beans (and gluten-free flours like arrowroot) and can make eggs so many different ways. You could make muffins, but add things like flax and chia seed to round out the nutritional content. (Muffins freeze well, in general, so you can make a huge batch once or twice a month and have them around.) What about veggies and hummus (or another variety of bean dip)?
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#29 andi1235

andi1235

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:12 AM

eggs?

gluten-free "Olga Bread" 2.0:

I posted a recipe for a gluten-free "Olga Bread" a couple weeks ago. I LOVE the stuff, and I personally think it makes a good quick snack. I particulrly like it with cheese, but if you can't have dairy you can pretty much add any fillings you like and it's still delish. I make it with xanthan gum but I tried it once with guar gum and it was fine. If you can't do either of those, flax seed or chia seed meal mixed with boiling water until you have a batch of "goo" makes a good gum replacement, and I think the flavor would be good in the bread. You can use dairy free margarine and whatever dairy free milk you like (or probably even water - you really just need liquid for consistency). Also, the flours I used aren't crucial. In fact, I've tried it and discovered I like it better with amaranth flour instead of rice flour (less gritty), and you could probably do a "paleo" version pretty easily subbing paleo "flours" for the grain-based ones. The only important thing is that you want about half "regular" flours and half "starchy" ones. Arrowroot starch is a good sub if you can't do corn or tapioca.

I discovered I like this better if I add an egg, but if you can't have eggs the bread still works just fine. I grew up with the "real thing" for the Olga bread, and the egg makes it taste more authentic.

1 cup millet flour
1 cup brown rice flour
1 cup tapioca starch
1 cup sweet rice flour
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp xanthan gum (or substitute - if you do the flax or chia sub I would use more like a tablespoon of the "goo")
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup butter (or dairy-free sub)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 ounce active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
1 teaspoon sugar
1 egg (optional, but I prefer it)
any oil (to oil your cooking utensils - the dough is sticky)

Heat the milk, butter (or butter sub), and honey in a pan till the milk starts to scald slightly. Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add COLD water to the milk mix and wait till the temperature is low enough to not kill the yeast. Then mix the liquid with the dry ingredients.

I've experimented with this some, and I've found it makes the best textured flatbread if you add enough water or other liquid so that the dough you get is sort of the consistency of silly putty, but less sturdy. If you ever made cornstarch "goop" in science class, that's the texture you're going for. Not quite liquid, not quite solid.

The original recipe I posted called for greasing your hands thoroughly and scooping with your hands (which is fun, but messy!) but I've found it's easier to oil a measuring cup (a 1/4 or 1/3 cup makes nice big pieces).

Heat an UNGREASED frying pan to about medium heat.
Liberally oil your measuring cup and a nice big spatula.
Scoop up a glob of dough in the cup. It should get coated in the oil from the cup, just a bit.
Dump the glob of dough into the frying pan, and flatten it the best you can with the edges of the cup and the spatula. You won't get it too flat the first time around, but that's ok.
After about 30 seconds, the bottom should be cooked enough that you can (VERY carefully) flip the glob over. Then flatten it out as much as possible with the greased spatula.

Keep baking and flipping each piece of bread for 2-3 minutes, until both sides have golden-brown spots. The process ends up being a lot like making pancakes, but the bread you get is much more solid and "bready" in consistency. You should get 10-12 pieces of bread, depending how big you make them.

Incidentally, I bet a chocolate version of this bread would be AWESOME. Just add some gluten-free cocoa powder (the unsweetened kind), and maybe a little more sugar. If you can find gluten-free/DF chocolate chips (or bars you could break up or process in a food processor) it would probably be really good with that too. I'm totally trying this today - I'll report back with results! :)

#30 andi1235

andi1235

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:04 AM

FYI, just tried the chocolate "Olga bread." It's awesome. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: