37 replies to this topic

#31 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,083 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:07 AM

Try searching for olive oil potato chips -- I found a brand a while back which used only olive oil and salt -- ordered a case that lasted for several months worth of crunchy/munchy emergencies -- unfortunately I am no longer able to eat potato so I haven't ordered them in quite awhile.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 june27

june27

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:10 AM

Hiya,
I am going nuts eating only meat, vegetables and fruit. I am gluten, dairy, nut (including coconut) and corn free. Xanthan gum comes from corn so I can't have any of the packaged things. I can't have chips because they are fried in corn oil or they are cc with corn. I am not trying to complain, I am just starting to get D from all of the fruit that I eat. I can go through a whole watermelon by myself in 2 days. There has got to be something else for a snack besides fruit.

I cried at the grocery store today because I am having my monthly visitor and I just want some chocolate or a cookie or a chip or something! The lady in front of my had all of the makings for chocolate chip cookies in her cart. I seriously cried all the way home.

Any ideas?

Thanks

- MO

I am relatively new to gluten-free and haven't branched out too much in terms of cooking from scratch. Have you tried "1-2-3 Gluten Free" brownies? The box says they are free of the following: gluten, wheat, dairy, casein, peanut, tree nut, corn, egg and soy. The ingredients does list xantham gum - not sure if they have a corn free variety, or if they are just not aware that it comes from corn.

I don't have much to compare them to, but I thought they were tasty, though a bit on the drier side (paricularly on 2nd day)...

#33 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 02:55 PM

You can make your own baking powder by using baking soda and cream of tartar. I've seen various different ratios mentioned, from one part of each, to two parts cream of tartar to one part baking soda.

Kettle Brand chips have no corn oil. I used to eat a ton of them until the nighshade intolerance showed up. Cape Cod chips are OK too, although they don't taste as good to me as the Kettle Brand. Kettle Brand are GREASY, I mean to the point that there is a PUDDLE at the bottom of the bag, but oh my they are good.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#34 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 02:59 PM

As superensitive as I am to corn, I am surprised that I can eat vanilla. I guess they are right that the protein is removed by the distilling process. But you can buy your own vanilla beans and soak them in vodka or whatever alcohol you can tolerate. Or you can put them in a bowl of sugar and the sugar will be infused with the vanilla flavor. I learned that one right here from one of the members who knows how to cook. :)

#35 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 03:17 PM

Can you have meringues? Just egg whites, cream of tartar (or a touch of vinegar), granulated sugar and add ins such as toasted coconut or almonds. Whatever. Or just plain.

Have I already mentioned spicy pepitas (pumpkin seeds you roast)? Or roast chili lime chickpeas?

Darn it - I knew this was familiar! I posted this earlier. I guess delicious things bear repeating. :lol:
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#36 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 03:17 PM

Love2Travel just posted her home made vanilla on the Making Your Own Condiments thread. :)

#37 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 03:19 PM

Love2Travel just posted her home made vanilla on the Making Your Own Condiments thread. :)

Yes, and it is wonderful! Embarassingly easy as well.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#38 Gfreemimi

Gfreemimi

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:28 PM

Thank you so much! As a fellow midwesterner, I am soo excited to try this! I hope it comes out close...does it have a fairly chewy texture?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: