Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

I Hate Wheat Harvest...

9 posts in this topic

Tis the season.... Wheat harvest is upon me! they have been getting ever closer thru this week and last night the combines were parked next to my house... I have the "double whammy" Celiac disease and a wheat allergy... unfortunately hubby is gone for work this week and I have to go out and feed/water the horses and dogs... needless to say I am completely miserable... I need to go weed the garden and a bunch of other things but other than "must do's" I am confined in the house... the good news is even tho its 100 degrees outside my A/C works this year so at least I am not hot and miserable

End of rant and self pity, back to the basement to play with my quilts

Ads by Google:

I hear ya!

I have celiac and a corn allergy. I live across the street from a corn field. I don't like corn harvest season! There is corn everywhere where I live..I can see it for miles.

Loco, do you wear a mask? Actually, you might be better off with a respirator - the kind painters use. They seal tight to the face and I believe they have a cartridge that filters out even the finest particles. You can probably find one at the hardware store. They aren't THAT expensive, and it would be well worth it.

Good luck.

ick. I would think that no matter what you do it will be on your skin, clothing, in the air ....not fun at all.

ick. I would think that no matter what you do it will be on your skin, clothing, in the air ....not fun at all.

coveralls, several pair. I don't know that much about wheat harvesting, but i wouldn't think the point was to crush the grain? If it isnt crushed/ground/milled whatever, how is it a problem?

If it were just an intolerance it probably wouldn't be a problem, but the OP said she also has a wheat allergy.

Ah, crappy. :( *hug*

yeah. That was what I was thinking. Not just the gluten but having the wheat in the air. I would assume it is similar to those with grass allergies who react when the yard is mowed. With that much wheat, I would be shocked to think that at least some gluten would not be in the air. If nothing else, the anxiety of fearing a glutening can be horrible.

I can't imagine how crappy that this for you. I get sore sinuses, drippy nose, stomach ache and loose stools for a day or so just from sitting at a table with bread close by for the wheat eaters, or if I spend more than a few short moments petting my wheat pellet eating chinchilla followed by thorough hand washing. To be surrounded by wheat fields, especially during harvest would be my idea of a nightmare!