21 replies to this topic

#1 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:25 PM

I made this today & it was to die for!!!!! I think this recipe has been on this board a dozen times. This is the first bread my hubs actually liked! But both of us at this point in time have to be low iodine AND low salicylate. SO, I need to eliminate the egg yolk b/c of high iodine & sub something for the almond flour b/c of high salicylates.
I know you guys are inventive & can help me. I was wondering if just using the egg white alone would work --- if so that would solve that problem.

Here is the recipe:
1 large egg<br style="color: rgb(44, 54, 68); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">2 Tbs. brown rice flour<br style="color: rgb(44, 54, 68); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">1 Tbs. almond meal<br style="color: rgb(44, 54, 68); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">1 Tbs. golden flax meal<br style="color: rgb(44, 54, 68); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">1/2 tsp. baking powder<br style="color: rgb(44, 54, 68); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">3/4 tsp. sugar<br style="color: rgb(44, 54, 68); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">1/2 tsp. cocoa powder<br style="color: rgb(44, 54, 68); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">shake of salt<br style="color: rgb(44, 54, 68); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); "><br style="color: rgb(44, 54, 68); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">Spray a custard dish (or any baking dish that will yield a hamburger bun sized "loaf") with non stick spray. Crack egg into dish and stir with a fork until it's well mixed. Add all other ingredients and stir well. Cook in microwave on high for 90 seconds. You'll have to loosen around the edges with a butter knife, but mine came out pretty easily.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:30 PM

I made this today & it was to die for!!!!! I think this recipe has been on this board a dozen times. This is the first bread my hubs actually liked! But both of us at this point in time have to be low iodine AND low salicylate. SO, I need to eliminate the egg yolk b/c of high iodine & sub something for the almond flour b/c of high salicylates.
I know you guys are inventive & can help me. I was wondering if just using the egg white alone would work --- if so that would solve that problem.

Here is the recipe:
1 large egg
2 Tbs. brown rice flour
1 Tbs. almond meal
1 Tbs. golden flax meal
1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. cocoa powder
shake of salt
Spray a custard dish (or any baking dish that will yield a hamburger bun sized "loaf") with non stick spray. Crack egg into dish and stir with a fork until it's well mixed. Add all other ingredients and stir well. Cook in microwave on high for 90 seconds. You'll have to loosen around the edges with a butter knife, but mine came out pretty easily.

"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#3 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:41 PM

Whew, thanks Jestgar. That was hard to read.

I'd try subbing more flax meal for the almond flour. You might not miss the egg yolk with more flax because flax is a common egg substitute. I'd throw in a wee bit of water or melted coconut oil if the batter seems thicker than usual from missing the fluid in the egg yolk.

#4 raea2002

raea2002

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:49 PM

What is Almond Meal? Where can you find it?

#5 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:55 PM

Ground almonds. I get Bob's Red Mill brand at my local health food store. It's kind of pricy but really good. You can make it yourself by putting blanched almonds into a food processor. Just be sure you don't overdo it or you get almond butter. :lol:

#6 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:05 PM

Thanks jestgar for fixing that for me. I didn't even check it after posting.Posted Image Why does it do that when I copy & paste anyway?

Skylark, thank you!!!!!! I will try that. I swear it was really hard not to make about 5 more after tasting the first one & sit down on the floor & just gorge on BREAD! It tasted like homemade whole wheat bread; something that my dad made often around our house. Gaaaa, it was GOOD! I'll try throwing in a bit of water as coconut oil is out as a double whammy of both iodine & sals.

Oh this thing was so quick & easy too!

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#7 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:08 PM

You can also get it from Nuts.com. It is also known as almond flour. Before I bought it I checked & it seems it goes by either name; almond meal or almond flour but they are both the same thing. Then I found out I have to go low sal for some months. But it's in the fridge waiting......

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

#8 raea2002

raea2002

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:12 PM

Can u also grind up those tapioca pellet things too for flour?

#9 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:15 PM

Can u also grind up those tapioca pellet things too for flour?

You can buy tapioca flour. I don't know about grinding up the tapioca pellet things. Maybe someone else will.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

#10 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:38 PM

A more cost-effective source for blanched almond flour is here:

http://store.honeyvi...ndflour5lb.aspx

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#11 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:40 PM

You can use just egg white alone (I do that in my bread too) and as Skylark says, just add a bit of water if it is too dry.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#12 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:02 PM

You can use just egg white alone (I do that in my bread too) and as Skylark says, just add a bit of water if it is too dry.

Thank you dear.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

#13 Pac

Pac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:22 PM

You can try to substitute almond flour with some ground cashew nuts, they are low in salicylates. I am allergic to almonds and always use whatever other nuts I have, never noticed any big difference in flavor or texture. Poppy seeds are also low in sals, although they might give a bit different flavor to the bread.

#14 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:26 PM

Ah! Thank you Pac. I have cashews & they are one of my safe snacks right now b/c of the low sals. Good tip!

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

#15 raea2002

raea2002

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:58 PM

Oh yum! I got all the ingredients and made this today. You were right! I used sweet white rice instead of brown rice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: