Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Strange! Gluten Or Sun?

1 post in this topic

Interestingly, I joined this forum because of my son's GI issues. He was tested for celiac through blood tests, but they were negative. However, he is allergic to wheat and other foods. I have changed our kitchen to a 'mostly gluten-free' place. Therefore most snack foods, convenience foods, etc. are gluten free. Also, dinners have been gluten free. So, in a round about way I have been eating gluten free along with my son.

My doctor also tested me for celiac because I am extremely underweight, have ADD, have been very tired, etc. (Also my mother has ulcerative colitis, hypothyroidism, arthritis, etc).. However, I didn't expect anything to come back positive because I don't really have any GI issues (besides having my appendix removed less than a year ago) and I was right. My blood test was also negative.

Well my dad is visiting from out of town and he and my husband were commenting on not having any 'normal bread' in the house, so last night for dinner I made gluten free lasagna, corn on the cob, and added some 'normal' garlic bread for the men. I also ate the garlic bread after basically eating gluten free for a couple of weeks now. (I say basically because I honestly haven't been paying attention to what I eat, but can't remember the last time that I did eat anything containing gluten).

Anyhow, last night I started getting an itchy bump on my finger. I thought I must have been bitten by a mosquito. Then this morning, I now have blisters on both of my hands (on the fingers). It is Dyshidrotic Eczema. I haven't had this for years (since my last pregnancy) and I used to get it bad and chronically! My hands hurt and itch so bad today. I also developed a cold sore on my bottom lip over night. And to add insult to injury, I also just got a sore in the corner of my mouth. :(

Now, I know that cold sores or 'fever blisters' can be caused by the sun and there is some correlation to dyshidrotic eczema and the sun, too. I did watch the 4th of July parade for our little town (about an hour) on the 4th, and it was sunnier than usual, around 76 degrees (hey, this is Oregon). But I haven't been outside since and that was 2 days ago. I also didn't even get enough sun to turn pink. Neither have I been stressed out (I am a school teacher and am on vacation).

So, what do you all think? It is so strange to get these all at once, all overnight, and all the day after eating some stupid bread. Am I getting caught up in the hype and it is just coincidental? Could it all have been caused instead by a sunny day in Oregon?

Ads by Google:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• What's an " iodine test"?  Haven't heard doctors doing that to diagnose DH.
    • Hello! I've just been given my blood results and told they are highly suggestive of coeliacs but will have to wait till next month to see the gastroenterologist and who knows how much longer for a biopsy. My igA, igG and tissuetrans igA were all over 250 and tissuetrans igG was the only one that was normal. These results don't mean much to me yet but I'm told they are very high. I'm now quite fearful of how much damage I've gone to myself. I've had stomach problems for 25 years (just turned 40) and have often steered clear of too much bread and pasta for how bloated it made me feel but the symptoms were always vague and inconsistent so I kept eating. I had a couple of boats in the past few months (thanks kids) which I took a lot longer than normal to recover from then last Friday I had a blowout with wine, cheese, crackers, pizza and chocolate cake. I'm sure I've probably had blowouts like that before but I have never felt so sick before and am still slowly recovering. This is what finally prompted me to go back to my GP after being fobbed off so many times over the years. So I guess my question and my concern is whether there is still  chance of a false positive with levels like this? I worry what else it might be if not coeliac. I'm also worried that I may have done so much damage to myself that I will have several disorders going on! Thankyou!!    
    • Here's what the Klondike Bar makers say on the FAQ page of their website (August 2016): Are your products gluten free? Nope. They are not. We have not validated for gluten free. We do not operate allergen-free manufacturing sites, however we do have allergen management programs in all our facilities. The intent of these programs is to avoid unintentional cross-contamination of allergens between products. Our product labels adhere to the FDA’s strict regulations regarding declaration of ingredients and allergens. We do not use the terms “Natural” or “Artificial Flavorings” to hide the existence of any allergens. RECIPES CAN CHANGE. We strongly recommend that allergic consumers refer to ingredient declarations EVERY TIME they purchase processed foods.
    • I tried the iodine test but couldn't leave it on very long because it itched too much. I left it on maybe 30 minutes lol. Did anyone try it and have the same response??
    • Had my scope today. Dr said my esophagus is damaged and stomach inflamed. Waiting on biopsy results. Taking protonic and flagyl and he said to go ahead and try cutting gluten out to see if that helps. Thanks for the feedback everyone! 
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Vic40